Taxed to make you give up caravaning?

Mar 21, 2007
Visit site
Well they have done it £300 road tax this year & £400 next.

Why arn't more people fighting our cause before its too late

Why arn't the Caravan Club & Practical Caravan Magazine & others fighting for us!

I have a 4x4 to pull our van with

There is no justification in this tax

I dont want to buy a small van just so as i can pull it with a "green" car!

Caravaning is starting to lose its appeal

Maybe i should just give it up & fly everywhere for my holidays

What a farce!!

Mar 18, 2006
Visit site
hi stuart..

couldnt agree with you more mate.. we getting the smelly end of the stick again ( the polite version) i for one will sell my freelander 2.0 td and caravan and say sod england, and start going abroad for our hols.. at least you are nearly certain to come home with a tan from a break abroad ..

daz

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Faced with a similar situation over here, I've decided to sell my Monterey. I'm going to get something right on the towing limit and pull the caravan with an Astra. After all, I probably don't do more than 20% of my total mileage with the oufit so I'm not going to make any concessions for towing any more, other than to make sure I remain legal.

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
We have a freelander TD4 but I dont think its going to affect us.

I agree with you both though. They want to encourage us to holiday in england and cut down on flying and then do this!

When is it going to stop, ....its just pay pay pay in this country and we get nothing back. Now that they've put this tax up to

Dec 4, 2005
Visit site
My understanding is that it is only the top level of cars that will be effected, bad for them i agree, but I think that cars like the Sorrento for example are in the next level down which will only get a very nominal increase each year.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Has anyone got access to a webpage which might indicate what cars night fall into this.

I am thinking it would be something like 3 litre + petrol and diesel engines particularly when in big heavy cars like 4X4 s.

As it is emissions based some might fall above or below this.

This makes me laugh though, if this is to get rid of chelsea tractors on the school run - the tax disc has now become a prestige badge alongside three pointed stars and it will be worn by some with pride.

Somebody picking up little Jeremy and Constance from school in the London suburbs is not going to be worried about paying

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What's all the fuss about? It only affects those of you who have newish big engined cars, not only 4x4s. The simple answer is to sell all your posh motors, by a 10 year old V8 range Rover, convert it to LPG, and you'll only pay

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just had a look at the government website and it is band G cars that will be clobbered, those with emisions over 225g/km. I have a Freelander 5 speed manual which produces 205g/km cost of licence now

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well Members you and I must "grin and bear it " as the saying goes, and we must all do our bit once again to keep and make the rich richer and take the workshy out of poverty. The tax take under any heading does not do the "middle income" bands any good whatsoever, and if the rich can afford

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
We have only just purchased our 3.2 DID Shogun and I feel a bit pi---d off as we live in rural cornwall in a little village. I walk my daughter to the village school in all weather and the Shogun sometimes doesn't come off our drive all week. My husband takes our old fiesta to work every day and the family car is mainly used at weekends and for holidays with the caravan. So I still have to pay the increased tax, I think it would be fairer to put the extra tax on the fuel and then the more you drive the more you pay. Denise

May 4, 2005
Visit site
We have only just purchased our 3.2 DID Shogun and I feel a bit pi---d off as we live in rural cornwall in a little village. I walk my daughter to the village school in all weather and the Shogun sometimes doesn't come off our drive all week. My husband takes our old fiesta to work every day and the family car is mainly used at weekends and for holidays with the caravan. So I still have to pay the increased tax, I think it would be fairer to put the extra tax on the fuel and then the more you drive the more you pay. Denise
how old is your car?

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
how old is your car?
Brian, it is 2003 model. Ive been moaning about this all over supper. It always seems to be that the poor are wel looked after, the rich are ok and if you in the middle you get stung!!! I worked for 20 years then had our family, and have managed to stay home to look after them and the caravan was meant to be a cheaper way of holidaying without taking children out of school. It hasn't turned out that way. Denise

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Look at the bigger picture. Is all this making "Road pricing" more palatable? These highway robbers always have another agenda.

Emmerson could be onto something, though. Buy an old polluting large car, add gas if you wish, and run that. It doesn't make sense for the environment, but it might improve the looks of your wallet.

I don't know how much I have to pay for my RV now, it was

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Look at the bigger picture. Is all this making "Road pricing" more palatable? These highway robbers always have another agenda.

Emmerson could be onto something, though. Buy an old polluting large car, add gas if you wish, and run that. It doesn't make sense for the environment, but it might improve the looks of your wallet.

I don't know how much I have to pay for my RV now, it was

G

Please look at this realistically. It was not a tax against caravanners. G Brown probably doesn't even know what one looks like, especially as he doesn't drive. This was just a gimmick to bolster his chances of getting the top job by default, as he would be scared there was an election. It is the same as all his 'giveaways' they are all post dated to next year, or even later. Again this is designed to smooth himself into Number 10, and he assumes we are all gullible enough to not see it.

So, pay the tax this year if you have to and remember it all when the election finally comes. Throw Labour on to the scrap heap for at least another 18 years, or until people have forgotten how bad they are.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Before everyone goes on and on about how hard 4X4 owners/drivers have been hit y the udget, don't forget, it affects many more types of vehicle as well, including mine, and it is not a 4X4.

Because of the apathy of the British Voter, a relatively small proportion of the eligible electorate voted this government back into power.

If you really want to make a change, perhaps it should be a legal requirement to vote, to make all the "couldnt care less" non voters make a decision for once in their lives.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry for you guys the chelseas but ,I tow with a citroen C5 2ltr diesel ,I tow a bailey bordeaux and it tows like a dream .

OH and 1 get 33 MPG towing . My road fund last year was

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
OH and as far as making it compulsory to vote they tried that in Joe Stalins Russia ,only problem was you all voted for the one party

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts