The Le Mans 24 Hour Race

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
As we shall be in northern France in June, can anybody offer an opinion or advice on taking the van to the Le Mans 24 Hour Race please..?

Olly.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Olly,sorry couldnt resist it.

We have travelled past le Mans many times on the Monday after the racing and always stop overnight at the Muncipal site at Beaumont sur Sarthe it is a lovely site and 5 mins off the autoroute and maybe 20 mile from Le Mans.So you could stay there however i would advise booking as even the day after the site is pretty full of racegoers.

If you go to www.carryoncamping.org you can read my report on the site and a photo.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Olly,

The Castels camp-site "Chateau de Chanteloup" just a few km north of Le Mans, and about 10 miles from the race track - is a great place for the race - it usually hosts one or two independent racing teams:

http://www.chateau-de-chanteloup.com/CHANTELOUP2008/GB/24heures.htm
We were there in 2003 and it was better than OK - and the croissants delivered each morning are probably the best in France - certainly in the Sarthe.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Olly,

an even nicer site is Camping La Pont Romain (Yvre L'Eveque), which is 5 minutes off the A28. It's also closer to the race track than Chanteloup.

Mark W

G

Le Mans 24 Hours is an experience not just the worlds biggest race.

Something for all the family, scrutineering in the town square is a great experience to.

If you are going, book a camp site now as many people will have booked before leaving this year. Some Hotels around Le Mans will already be block booked for 2009.

My brother always goes to Le Mans and we travel in by bike when we go.

ACO web site for tickets and details http://www.autoclub.fr/club24/index_gb.html

Le Mans 24 hour Qualifying week is now rolled in to one with the race, So the event really runs from the last week in May to the race, In the past Le Mans Qualifying week was about six weeks before the race week.

Only certain parts of the track are open to the public, and there is no point in going without getting out to the more remote public areas during the night to get the full Le Mans experience. 320+ kph into pitch black Indianapolis complex just has to be seen, even my wife and daughter have been in awe of the spectacle as my son and I just dreamed.

Jan 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi Olly,

The Castels camp-site "Chateau de Chanteloup" just a few km north of Le Mans, and about 10 miles from the race track - is a great place for the race - it usually hosts one or two independent racing teams:

http://www.chateau-de-chanteloup.com/CHANTELOUP2008/GB/24heures.htm
We were there in 2003 and it was better than OK - and the croissants delivered each morning are probably the best in France - certainly in the Sarthe.

Robert
Rob Jax is spot on about chanteloup, great site.

Better book early though mobbed during 24.

TRENDING THREADS