The MG4 EV is the Car of The Year in the Parkers New Car Awards 2024

Page 6 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I agree entirely unless you've trained up and had wealth of experience on your specific trade it would probably appear one was wearing blinkers to the uninitiated 😊,Gary
Are you fully trained up on all aspects of mechanics especially alternators and wipers because I am not a mechanic as you can gather? Just to clarify I would expect that whether RH or LH they would still come out of the same factory and made to the same specifications.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
...Just to clarify I would expect that whether RH or LH they would still come out of the same factory and made to the same specifications.
That may be true in the case of the alternator which is the core of your complaint, but it is not a foregone conclusion. Most large scale manufacturers will try to ensure security of supply by having more than one source of supply. So even if you have a genuine part with a Jeep part number, it could possibly have been built in more than one factory. There would normally be some other mark on the item that Jeep would be able to recognise where it was made.

That could be significant as the fault could be due to manufacturing failure in one supplier factory but not another.

Reactions: toad a caravan
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
That may be true in the case of the alternator which is the core of your complaint, but it is not a foregone conclusion. Most large scale manufacturers will try to ensure security of supply by having more than one source of supply. So even if you have a genuine part with a Jeep part number, it could possibly have been built in more than one factory. There would normally be some other mark on the item that Jeep would be able to recognise where it was made.

That could be significant as the fault could be due to manufacturing failure in one supplier factory but not another.
That's very much the case with global production - when I had a Hyundai Santa Fe I was active on a global Hyundai forum - the Santa Fe had huge numbers of owners with issues with the automatic gearbox which was rectified by new gearboxes under warranty - it turned out to only affect Santa Fe's in North America as they were built there while those sold in Europe were built in South Korea.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That's very much the case with global production - when I had a Hyundai Santa Fe I was active on a global Hyundai forum - the Santa Fe had huge numbers of owners with issues with the automatic gearbox which was rectified by new gearboxes under warranty - it turned out to only affect Santa Fe's in North America as they were built there while those sold in Europe were built in South Korea.
It was the same with Subaru Boxer engines about 10-13 years ago. US ones consumed more oil than those made in Japan.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Thanks for helping me understand. In the case of our alternator it was the diodes that failed. Apparently they failed due to heat issues and nothing to do with the weather. It was a worldwide issue.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
A friend of mine worked in AC Delco, in Dunstable, and the various electrical components that were produced, although identical physically, depending on the electrical resistance, this would define as to which car manufacturer they would be sent to.
I got free spark plugs.

Reactions: toad a caravan
Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
Are you fully trained up on all aspects of mechanics especially alternators and wipers because I am not a mechanic as you can gather? Just to clarify I would expect that whether RH or LH they would still come out of the same factory and made to the same specifications.
I have at present a L/H ford Orion a R/H Orion was used as a donor..IE to convert to R/H...This is my son's project however..the specs would be the same just design opposite orientation..

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
A friend of mine worked in AC Delco, in Dunstable, and the various electrical components that were produced, although identical physically, depending on the electrical resistance, this would define as to which car manufacturer they would be sent to.
I got free spark plugs.
Good plugs AC delco ..44XLS used them in all sorts😊

Reactions: Hutch
Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
Also with caravans. When in France the engineer ordered a replacement hub. Probably a very standard item for Alko chassis. A perfect fit until they came to put the wheel on, UK hubs are machined differently for the wheel bolts.

The number they went by on the hub, was the casting number.

John
My 1992 Abbey is fitted on an alko chassis.the wheel drums are held on with a castellated nut which has a split pin. Later Chassis where fitted with different type of bearing a "Use once " nut that is replaced ..both drums look similar..Gary

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
I have at present a L/H ford Orion a R/H Orion was used as a donor..IE to convert to R/H...This is my son's project however..the specs would be the same just design opposite orientation..
Feel free to see my post ""ABBEY gts wiring"" filed under Brand banter" 😊.Gary

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
No idea why but I am sure lots of us would love to know why😉👍
You got me wondering too - So I went to look at the awards page. It was awarded both best small family car and best value car which was enough to give it the top spot. The headlines were :-
"In many ways, the MG4 EV is the perfect small family car. It’s practical enough to transport four adults and their luggage in comfort and, if you opt for the top-spec Extended Range model, you’ll be able to travel more than 300 miles on a single charge, which might be enough to convince EV fence-sitters to make the switch. That’s why we’ve made it our 2024 Car of the Year".
The full article is here, with links to a full review too. I thought it was worth a read to see what the judges were looking for.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Over many decades, I've noticed that "car of the year" from various competitions has often been awarded on a sympathy vote basis - it's also illogical that previous winners still in production aren't considered, only newly introduced models.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Over many decades, I've noticed that "car of the year" from various competitions has often been awarded on a sympathy vote basis - it's also illogical that previous winners still in production aren't considered, only newly introduced models.
I do wonder how the pick the field. For the CC TCOTY, the cars are "entered" by the manufacturer, and if you don't enter, you cant win. For Parkers, I notice that not all the cars are new, indeed most are not. The MG4 certainly isn't - it's been on the streets for well over a year, but there is a new spec in the range (X-power) though that was not tested here. EV6 from 2021, Alpine A110 from 2018, Skoda Fabia 2021, Tesla Y 2021, Honda Civic 2022 - all been out a year or more.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You got me wondering too - So I went to look at the awards page. It was awarded both best small family car and best value car which was enough to give it the top spot. The headlines were :-

The full article is here, with links to a full review too. I thought it was worth a read to see what the judges were looking for.
Other reviews have been very positive as have those for the new BYD models.

Reactions: Tobes
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was reading a review of the new Volvo EX, a compact SUV all electric. Andrew English did not like the controls layout as everything was controlled via the flat screen, even commentating the heating and vent controls were two levels down in the system. At one point Volvo we’re seeming to backtrack on all screen controls.
The EX is made in China and there are two other Chinese models virtually the same from the manufacturer.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I was reading a review of the new Volvo EX, a compact SUV all electric. Andrew English did not like the controls layout as everything was controlled via the flat screen, even commentating the heating and vent controls were two levels down in the system. At one point Volvo we’re seeming to backtrack on all screen controls.
The EX is made in China and there are two other Chinese models virtually the same from the manufacturer.
Did the review give any indication on the likely depreciation over say the next five years?
Whilst my nearest BYD dealer appears to be Southampton of Milton Keynes surprisingly we have a MG in Swindon. 😁 Now I must look up Abingdon. It’s coming home 😉😉👍👍👍

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Did the review give any indication on the likely depreciation over say the next five years?
Whilst my nearest BYD dealer appears to be Southampton of Milton Keynes surprisingly we have a MG in Swindon. 😁 Now I must look up Abingdon. It’s coming home 😉😉👍👍👍
Stratstones in Milton Keynes is only 4 miles away from me, it used to be A Jaguar dealer

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
This popped up on my PC. Subaru have joined the gang and I have to say it looks somewhat appealing. Not the cheapest but whilst it has the weight, towing a braked trailer is restricted to 750 kgs. The dealer is only five miles from me. I think a little trip may be on the horizon

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This popped up on my PC. Subaru have joined the gang and I have to say it looks somewhat appealing. Not the cheapest but whilst it has the weight, towing a braked trailer is restricted to 750 kgs. The dealer is only five miles from me. I think a little trip may be on the horizon
It’s basically the equivalent Toyota I assume if it’s full EV., but there’s a Subaru PHEV out now and coming to UK in 2024. Had a decent towing capability. Not the 2000 kg of yore though.

Simpsons are the oldest Subaru dealership in the country. I’ve had two from them and used them for service and support. They were very good. But one of the factors influencing me to part with the Forester was the distance to Simpsons.

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
They were right about early Japanese cars, they rusted far quicker than typical British cars of the day which were pretty poor - but the Japanese quickly learnt and improved things immeasurably. Early Korean cars were heavily criticised for their quirky styling to European eyes but gradually caught up and overtook the remaining British makers.

I don't recall they said the same about early German cars - the VW Beetle was renowned for its reliability and could be driven flat out all day on autobahn and early motorways, something that British cars have never managed.
My mate worked in a scrap yard which had plenty of beetles, the engine was known for seizing up, it was air cooled.

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Thats a good question.

There are some significant differences. between the likes of Volvo and MG.

Geely who now own Volvo and Polestar( and incidentally the London Taxi Company) have recognised that retaining local input into the design of the cars and continuing to make them locally to their traditional markets, has ensured the local knowledge, strengths and identity have been retained. They also had a ready made dealer network established, and have a decade or more of proven products since their change of ownership. I personally think Volvo (like Saab) have always aimed their products at a more discerning buyer than the traditional British Leyland/ Ford/ Vauxhall offerings.

SIAC who own MG were more interested in the MG name, and not the manufacturing facilities or products and consequently they closed all MG plants and offices in the UK and removed everything to China. The present MG models have no DNA from the original manufacture. and are now essentially totally brand new Chinese designed and made products.

Essentially MG is as much an unknown entity as all the other new Chinese brands, lacking Uk infrastructure and history. They all need to prove they understand the the challenges of the UK car market in terms of product reliability, after sales service and costs.
I just question people who slate Chinese cars/motorcycles but don't question where there mobile phone, laptop or other tech is made. Some BMW bikes are built in China as well as some Japanese models, Triumph, India, Thailand and Brazil. You can put money on that which ever car you buy will have some parts that are made in China.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I just question people who slate Chinese cars/motorcycles but don't question where there mobile phone, laptop or other tech is made. Some BMW bikes are built in China as well as some Japanese models, Triumph, India, Thailand and Brazil. You can put money on that which ever car you buy will have some parts that are made in China.
You have misinterpreted my intention. I am not slating all Chinese products, I am raising a valid question concerning issues that we have seen previously when new car companies begin exporting the UK only to discover a few short years down the line that they have not appreciated how corrosive our atmospheric conditions are, and their products begin to dissolve in front of our eyes. These are issues that are not discussed in the new car reports, and the only way we are going to find out if the new marques have got it right is through time.

Other things such as reducing the thickness or quality of the steel they use again are not discussed in new car reports, So I can't decide on whether a particular new car is going to be a decent long term prospect. Do not interpret that position as being deonstrably anti Chinese or any other nationality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts