The MG4 EV is the Car of The Year in the Parkers New Car Awards 2024

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
Perhaps I've been guilty of not doing enough research before my last post. I wasn't aware of the engine carry overs, or the extent of MG's dealerships.

But a quick search on Google has revealed the brand does have some of the issues I listed in #9, suggesting that like the early Japanese and Korean imports the Chinese have under estimated the UK's environmental conditions and failed to include enough rust protection.

And even reported on this forum, the dealer network seems to have problems accepting some problems with their products do exist.

MG may be leading the pack here in the UK, but in general the Chinese car manufacturing is still on its infancy, and with the plethora of new manufacturers, they are likely to not have fully grasped the engineering and vehicle dynamics wisdom the legacy manufactures have. They still have a lot to learn about the uniqueness of the UK market.

I'm fairly certain there are many new owners of MG's and other new Chinese brands who are delighted, but will that delight continue as Thier vehicles get older. Will they be easy and still be as cheap to maintain over the long term.

We are going to see an increase in the numbers of Chinese made cars on our roads, and like the Japanese back in the 1970's they are very likely to cause many of the legacy manufactures some real problems.

Like respect and trust the reliability of the vehicles and after service has to earned, not purchased.
With the demise of our car industry due lack of investment little wonder really...if the opportunity prevails check up on a Chinese vehicle named "Roewe" purely out of curiousity 😊,Gary

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
With the demise of our car industry due lack of investment little wonder really...if the opportunity prevails check up on a Chinese vehicle named "Roewe" purely out of curiousity 😊,Gary
It wasn’t only lack of investment that led to the demise of the UK car industry, my three brothers in law worked their whole lives in Coventry in motor manufacturing. That is when they weren’t on strike, or working to rule, or being made redundant. It really wasn’t until the Japanese entered the market that demonstrated what could be an achieved. The Nissans and Hondas made here were higher quality than those made in Japan, some models were even exported to Japan.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Not sure what the uniqueness of the U.K. market means? Other than RHD I don’t see major differences between us and say the EU?
People scorned the Japanese cars and then the Eastern Europeans, Skoda, and later Kia, Hyundai.
I suspect MG have paid heed to those previous makers experiences and hence their 7 year warranty. The warranty I note covers body deterioration. So they do think rust won’t be a problem for 7 years😉
I get the “earned not purchased” but at least MG have put their money where their mouth is??
Lest we forget we still have S75 and CRA 2015 as a final fall back.
Ironically a used Kia Sorento ,same age and mileage now costs more than my VW TouaregđŸ˜„

Reactions: Kenno
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Here’s an Interesting survey by Motor Easy who issue post warranty cover for cars. It covers a five year period of life. This is based on claims made by owners for remedial work.

Reactions: toad a caravan
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not sure what the uniqueness of the U.K. market means? Other than RHD I don’t see major differences between us and say the EU?
People scorned the Japanese cars and then the Eastern Europeans, Skoda, and later Kia, Hyundai.
I suspect MG have paid heed to those previous makers experiences and hence their 7 year warranty. The warranty I note covers body deterioration. So they do think rust won’t be a problem for 7 years😉
I get the “earned not purchased” but at least MG have put their money where their mouth is??
Lest we forget we still have S75 and CRA 2015 as a final fall back.
Ironically a used Kia Sorento ,same age and mileage now costs more than my VW TouaregđŸ˜„
The only uniqueness of the UK car market must be the ability of a car to cope with potholes and the patchwork quilt of road surface repairs.

• Haha
Reactions: Dustydog
Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
It wasn’t only lack of investment that led to the demise of the UK car industry, my three brothers in law worked their whole lives in Coventry in motor manufacturing. That is when they weren’t on strike, or working to rule, or being made redundant. It really wasn’t until the Japanese entered the market that demonstrated what could be an achieved. The Nissans and Hondas made here were higher quality than those made in Japan, some models were even exported to Japan.
Good Investment leads to innovation. despite the high skills of workers nothing positive can be achieved if those with the ability are abandoned and not "future" proofed due to short sightedness and profit margins,Gary

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Here’s an Interesting survey by Motor Easy who issue post warranty cover for cars. It covers a five year period of life. This is based on claims made by owners for remedial work.

When you read these surveys they all differ on rankings except for one UK manufacturer which is always bottom of the table!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When you read these surveys they all differ on rankings except for one UK manufacturer which is always bottom of the table!
In the latest JD Power survey Jaguar came 10 th a slip from last years 6th. It well above other European prestige makes. But LR/RR didnt do so well.

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site

You may find it of interest to look up which manufacturer's have the most recalls.I find it interesting 👌.Gary

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You may find it of interest to look up which manufacturer's have the most recalls.I find it interesting 👌.Gary
Over the last 30 years Toyota have had the most. But that could be looked at in a number of ways, and doesn’t necessarily indicate unreliability specifically given Toyota regularly sitting at or near the top of various surveys. So I have some difficulty knowing what point you are making.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Over the last 30 years Toyota have had the most. But that could be looked at in a number of ways, and doesn’t necessarily indicate unreliability specifically given Toyota regularly sitting at or near the top of various surveys. So I have some difficulty knowing what point you are making.
JLR have always been very”closed” about recalls. Maybe Toyota have a different philosophy?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thats a good question.

There are some significant differences. between the likes of Volvo and MG.

Geely who now own Volvo and Polestar( and incidentally the London Taxi Company) have recognised that retaining local input into the design of the cars and continuing to make them locally to their traditional markets, has ensured the local knowledge, strengths and identity have been retained. They also had a ready made dealer network established, and have a decade or more of proven products since their change of ownership. I personally think Volvo (like Saab) have always aimed their products at a more discerning buyer than the traditional British Leyland/ Ford/ Vauxhall offerings.

SIAC who own MG were more interested in the MG name, and not the manufacturing facilities or products and consequently they closed all MG plants and offices in the UK and removed everything to China. The present MG models have no DNA from the original manufacture. and are now essentially totally brand new Chinese designed and made products.

Essentially MG is as much an unknown entity as all the other new Chinese brands, lacking Uk infrastructure and history. They all need to prove they understand the the challenges of the UK car market in terms of product reliability, after sales service and costs.
Flattered to be thought of as a “discerning buyer” but my experience with Volvos seems at odds with yours. 245 GLE Estate engine faults and corrosion ( built in Belgium), 740 estate self immolation, Gen 3 XC 70 DPF faults and fuel dilution of oil. However , the Saab 9000 2.3 turbo was excellent in every respect until someone took my wife of off the road and wrote it off.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What I cannot understand for some brands there is an almost worldwide recall to fix a potential problem, but in the UK for the same issue there is no recall even though the manufacturer issue a bulletin regarding the issue.

Our previous Jeep had a recall in the states regarding the alternator requiring the diodes to be changed as when they failed the vehicle would totally shut down.

We experienced this and it was not pleasant, but we were lucky ir happened on an A road in a town and the speed zone was 30mph. If it had happened on the motorway we probably would not be here.

Jeep UK were aware of the issue, but no recall was issued!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What I cannot understand for some brands there is an almost worldwide recall to fix a potential problem, but in the UK for the same issue there is no recall even though the manufacturer issue a bulletin regarding the issue.

Our previous Jeep had a recall in the states regarding the alternator requiring the diodes to be changed as when they failed the vehicle would totally shut down.

We experienced this and it was not pleasant, but we were lucky ir happened on an A road in a town and the speed zone was 30mph. If it had happened on the motorway we probably would not be here.

Jeep UK were aware of the issue, but no recall was issued!
Were they dealing with it via Technical Bulletin, which is a less efficient approach in that owners who do their own servicing, or use local garages may miss out.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Were they dealing with it via Technical Bulletin, which is a less efficient approach in that owners who do their own servicing, or use local garages may miss out.
The technical bulletin was never issued in the UK although the Jeep part whether US or EU came out the same door. Cannot remember now, but I think there was a recall for the fault in the EU? I am aware that other brands have the same issue.

As said why a recall in one part of the world, but not another?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The technical bulletin was never issued in the UK although the Jeep part whether US or EU came out the same door. Cannot remember now, but I think there was a recall for the fault in the EU? I am aware that other brands have the same issue.

As a matter of comparison I also checked their EU version. The same. But agreed not the company version nor HMG DVLA. All the recalls are listed.
Who tells who???

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

There may be local law that places a different onus on the manufacturer to formally issue recall notices dependant on location. (Edit) and the nature of the problem.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There may be local law that places a different onus on the manufacturer to formally issue recall notices dependant on location. (Edit) and the nature of the problem.
I would have thought that safety in any country especially the UK would be a priority? In the UK as normal they probably wait until some one is killed as they know that British people are not into claiming compensation like in the states?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would have thought that safety in any country especially the UK would be a priority? In the UK as normal they probably wait until some one is killed as they know that British people are not into claiming compensation like in the states?
Countries or regions use different standards for judging what might be classed as a car safety issue. For one example in Europe its NCAP system for crash survivability , and other regions apply differnt standards. Consequently what might be found to be a safety concern in one region may classed as not a concern in another. Consequently its very rare for a motor company to issue a single world wide safety recall.

Deciding to introduce a wide recall on a car is an expensive business especially where there is evidence the problem is not a high probability, there would have to be some other major reason to make it such as certain injury to the occupants or others nearby, or if it was actually a regulatory or legal failure.

I do not know how Jeep assessed your alternator failure, but clearly under the UK's regime they did not feel obligated to issue a recall.

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
Countries or regions use different standards for judging what might be classed as a car safety issue. For one example in Europe its NCAP system for crash survivability , and other regions apply differnt standards. Consequently what might be found to be a safety concern in one region may classed as not a concern in another. Consequently its very rare for a motor company to issue a single world wide safety recall.

Deciding to introduce a wide recall on a car is an expensive business especially where there is evidence the problem is not a high probability, there would have to be some other major reason to make it such as certain injury to the occupants or others nearby, or if it was actually a regulatory or legal failure.

I do not know how Jeep assessed your alternator failure, but clearly under the UK's regime they did not feel obligated to issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts