The MG4 EV is the Car of The Year in the Parkers New Car Awards 2024

Page 7 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
I was reading a review of the new Volvo EX, a compact SUV all electric. Andrew English did not like the controls layout as everything was controlled via the flat screen, even commentating the heating and vent controls were two levels down in the system. At one point Volvo we’re seeming to backtrack on all screen controls.
The EX is made in China and there are two other Chinese models virtually the same from

Makes for cheaper build but lot less user friendly. All need is dodgy touchscreen and that is climate control gone for rest of trip. Could live without entertainment system.
I'd never buy car with touchscreen climate control, having touch screen for volume control is bad enough at least steering wheel buttons make up for it.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My mate worked in a scrap yard which had plenty of beetles, the engine was known for seizing up, it was air cooled.
Very strange as I living in Africa where the temperature is a lot higher and the Engine in the VW Beetle was very reliable. It was a very popular car and I had the VW Fastback for a number of years with no engine issues. We also had army trucks with air cooled engines that were used in the desert and no issue.

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
All through my long driving time, I've avoided buying newly announced cars from long-established manufacturers, preferring to buy models that have just had their "mid-life upgrade" and avoided new manufacturers at all costs - given that all manufacturers are using newly re-purposed technology for EVs I'll be waiting a generation or two to see which brands stand the test of time.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
All through my long driving time, I've avoided buying newly announced cars from long-established manufacturers, preferring to buy models that have just had their "mid-life upgrade" and avoided new manufacturers at all costs - given that all manufacturers are using newly re-purposed technology for EVs I'll be waiting a generation or two to see which brands stand the test of time.
While I agree with the premise, that of waiting for lessons to be learned and kinks to be ironed out from new cars, I think the EV state of the art is perhaps a bit more mature for _some_ manufacturers than you give credit for.
As an example, Volvo have been making a PHEV (The V60 twin-engine) since 2013. That has given them a platform to test and learn about production methods and longevity. The latest EX30 and EX90s are effectively their 4th (or even 5th) generation of electric vehicles.
But I do agree, for others it’s still pretty new and there will be issues to be resolved. The MG4 though is at least the 4th generation of EV from the current MG stable too. HS PHEV, two generations of MG ZS EV and MG5 EV and then the 4, and the X-Power is the second issue of that model too.

Reactions: otherclive
Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Makes for cheaper build but lot less user friendly. All need is dodgy touchscreen and that is climate control gone for rest of trip. Could live without entertainment system.
I'd never buy car with touchscreen climate control, having touch screen for volume control is bad enough at least steering wheel buttons make up for it.
As a recent XC40 owner which had the "everything on the screen" controls. As usual the journalists only look on the surface; you could do anything you'd need whilst driving by VOICE... safer than touching anything

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
While I agree with the premise, that of waiting for lessons to be learned and kinks to be ironed out from new cars, I think the EV state of the art is perhaps a bit more mature for _some_ manufacturers than you give credit for.
As an example, Volvo have been making a PHEV (The V60 twin-engine) since 2013. That has given them a platform to test and learn about production methods and longevity. The latest EX30 and EX90s are effectively their 4th (or even 5th) generation of electric vehicles.
But I do agree, for others it’s still pretty new and there will be issues to be resolved. The MG4 though is at least the 4th generation of EV from the current MG stable too. HS PHEV, two generations of MG ZS EV and MG5 EV and then the 4, and the X-Power is the second issue of that model too.
5th generation?

While the building of EVs has shaken things up a bit, the motor industry "norm" as that a platform will last for two models of 7 year with a mid-life refresh for each model. The Volvo V60 PHEV switched in 2018 from the Ford-derived P3 platform to the new Volve SPA platform so in conventional terms that's 2nd generation - the fact that changes of motors, batteries, charging, etc have occured doesn't change the generation.

We don't want to go down the American route where each model year is treated as a separate model.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
As a recent XC40 owner which had the "everything on the screen" controls. As usual the journalists only look on the surface; you could do anything you'd need whilst driving by VOICE... safer than touching anything
So if the computer running the VOICE system goes down you still lose everything?

• Wow
Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So if the computer running the VOICE system goes down you still lose everything?
Not necessarily as it’s dependant on where touch control inputs and voice control inputs converge to carry out the demand. A faulty touchscreen may not impact voice control.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Not necessarily as it’s dependant on where touch control inputs and voice control inputs converge to carry out the demand. A faulty touchscreen may not impact voice control.
Maybe - but there's still another computer running the VOICE side of things - just what was/is wrong with knobs and buttons that needed more complex systems to replace them?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Maybe - but there's still another computer running the VOICE side of things - just what was/is wrong with knobs and buttons that needed more complex systems to replace them?
I agree with you on that one. Our two Kia’s have a sensible mix of rotary or push buttons for primary controls and touch screen for other actions such as satnav and media etc. One has a 10.25 inch screen and a very effective voice control too. Had they been all touch screen I think I would have considered alternatives.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Most cars seem to have a lot of unnecessary touch control apps that you would never use. For months I could not understand why the Jeep would suddenly brake when reversing. I thought that there was a fault and reported it to the dealer.

There is an extra screen with a selection that automatically actives the brakes when the rear sensor thinks you are too close to something! However the vehicle has a reversing camera plus rear sensors. If I needed an additional app to brake automatically if too close to an object then maybe I need to give up driving? Another one is a voice telling you that you are exceeding the speed limit, but the Satnav tells you that anyway!

The problem sometimes is scrolling through several screens to get to the screen you need and you may not know the voice command to select that screen as sometimes the voice commands are nothing like you think they may be.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A quick surf shows considerable world wide evidence the Prof’s “concerns” are not ill founded. In fact the opposite.
The evidence to date clearly demonstrates most Chinese cars are like Shakespeare’s worm in the bud.😎

https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/the-truth-about-the-byd-atto-3-ev-rust-problem

Voice Control🤮
I’ve lost count of the number of times we have told Alexa to shut the heck up!🤬

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Most cars seem to have a lot of unnecessary touch control apps that you would never use. For months I could not understand why the Jeep would suddenly brake when reversing. I thought that there was a fault and reported it to the dealer.

There is an extra screen with a selection that automatically actives the brakes when the rear sensor thinks you are too close to something! However the vehicle has a reversing camera plus rear sensors. If I needed an additional app to brake automatically if too close to an object then maybe I need to give up driving? Another one is a voice telling you that you are exceeding the speed limit, but the Satnav tells you that anyway!

The problem sometimes is scrolling through several screens to get to the screen you need and you may not know the voice command to select that screen as sometimes the voice commands are nothing like you think they may be.
Cannot you go into the menus and select what actions are required and turn off some of these extraneous functions. Then you don’t need to access them again. One that I found was the reversing camera stayed ON when you came out of reverse and was driving forwards. I thought it was a fault. But after delving around I found the menu that gave three choices. Conventional camera turns off when you select forward Drive. Camera stays on for a short time after selecting Drive. Or last one camera stays on permanently after selecting Drive. I’ve also turned off the Mindfulness sounds of rain forest birds, sea shore pebbles etc.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Cannot you go into the menus and select what actions are required and turn off some of these extraneous functions. Then you don’t need to access them again. One that I found was the reversing camera stayed ON when you came out of reverse and was driving forwards. I thought it was a fault. But after delving around I found the menu that gave three choices. Conventional camera turns off when you select forward Drive. Camera stays on for a short time after selecting Drive. Or last one camera stays on permanently after selecting Drive. I’ve also turned off the Mindfulness sounds of rain forest birds, sea shore pebbles etc.
When I bought my then new Touareg, I spent a whole morning going through every menu option, cross-checking to the handbook, to select the menu actions I wanted - the only time I go through the menus now is the twice-yearly switch between GMT and BST as it's too dumb to do that automatically!

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A quick surf shows considerable world wide evidence the Prof’s “concerns” are not ill founded. In fact the opposite.
The evidence to date clearly demonstrates most Chinese cars are like Shakespeare’s worm in the bud.😎

https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/the-truth-about-the-byd-atto-3-ev-rust-problem

Voice Control🤮
I’ve lost count of the number of times we have told Alexa to shut the heck up!🤬
That’s a pretty subjective article with one fault reported in 2012 and some issues not affecting that many vehicles. Wrt crash testing the Chinese cars now entering the market tend to be 5 star with improved structural results, a facet that I always consider. Which is more than can be said for Zoe and Dacia. A more objective assessment would be U.K./European data from surveys, recalls, post warranty breakdown insurance. etc.

The Chinese learn quickly on how to respond to market needs. For example BYD cars fir Europe now have Hankook tyres instead of Linglong when it was realised that Europeans don’t rate Chines tyres very highly.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
That’s a pretty subjective article with one fault reported in 2012 and some issues not affecting that many vehicles. Wrt crash testing the Chinese cars now entering the market tend to be 5 star with improved structural results, a facet that I always consider. Which is more than can be said for Zoe and Dacia. A more objective assessment would be U.K./European data from surveys, recalls, post warranty breakdown insurance. etc.

The Chinese learn quickly on how to respond to market needs. For example BYD cars fir Europe now have Hankook tyres instead of Linglon when it was realised that Europeans don’t rate Chines tyres very highly.
The web is loaded with rust issues, Certainly not isolated but one that must improve if the UK used market wants one

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The web is loaded with rust issues, Certainly not isolated but one that must improve if the UK used market wants one.

Those companies not in partnership with a western vehicle maker know they have to improve if they are to succeed in western markets. Which basically means being as good, if not better than the competition for the product and the ownership experience. They seem aware that corrosion is seen as an area of concern. The linked article below shows what one organisation is doing to improve performance.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
5th generation?

While the building of EVs has shaken things up a bit, the motor industry "norm" as that a platform will last for two models of 7 year with a mid-life refresh for each model. The Volvo V60 PHEV switched in 2018 from the Ford-derived P3 platform to the new Volve SPA platform so in conventional terms that's 2nd generation - the fact that changes of motors, batteries, charging, etc have occured doesn't change the generation.

We don't want to go down the American route where each model year is treated as a separate model.
I agree - not every year is a generation, but in my mind, the Volvo chain looks like this
1) 2013 V60
2) 2016 XC 90 XC60 V60
3) 2018/2019 LEVC cab / Polestar 1
4 ) Current XC40 BEV / C40 / Polestar 2
5) EX 90 / EX30 / Polestar 3

Each has had a different set of battery sizes and integrations with the ICE (or as a stand alone) and different charging and range capabilities.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Those companies not in partnership with a western vehicle maker know they have to improve if they are to succeed in western markets. Which basically means being as good, if not better than the competition for the product and the ownership experience. They seem aware that corrosion is seen as an area of concern. The linked article below shows what one organisation is doing to improve performance.

Let’s see what they are like in three years time? I wonder what the rate of depreciation will be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts