Thetford fridge not working on gas

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Its a Lunar Zenith EB 2009. The fridge is a basic analogue model. Extreme top left is the power source selector, followed by gas igniter, right hand side, gas ignition indicator window with thermostat next to it . Closest manual I can find for my van is for the 2010 model: https://www.lunarcaravans.com/uploads/docs/handbooks/2010-Lunar-Handbook-21126.pdf

The N80 fridge on page 70 seems to be mine, or similar.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's unlikely the thermocouple will a have a part number on it.

However I can't recommend removing the thermocouple, until all the other possible causes have been discounted. AS I have pointed out previously its perhaps best to get resolved by a professional, who has the experience to identify the the cause and the skill to effect any repairs safely in accordance with the codes of practice.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Can you post a photo of the fridge? When you press the ignition button do you hear a ticking sound? Some of these buttons contain an AA battery. Have you checked?

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Found the label with model details behind salad drawer.

IMG_0338.jpeg
IMG_0316.jpeg

I've ordered two different thermocouples. The V1 listed for mine has a two side terminals which I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have. Didn't spot anything like that, I also ordered the V2 which I think is the correct one. I'm sure it's one or the the other. I'll just return the one I don't need . Did it this way as I can only get over to the storage site at the weekend and if I buy the wrong one then it's a week before I can get over there again.

Attachments

• IMG_0316.jpeg
    IMG_0316.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Anseo
Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Can you post a photo of the fridge? When you press the ignition button do you hear a ticking sound? Some of these buttons contain an AA battery. Have you checked?

It's a piezo type ignition. The burner lights very easily . I even managed to leave my phone recording the burner lighting with the cover off. The second you let go of the stat, it goes out. When it's going it's nice stable blue flame. Existing thermocouple seems to be right on the edge of the flame, I think maybe it needs to be a bit further in. Of course it's held in position with a Torx screw and I didn't have any Torx bits with me so I couldn't adjust it. I decided to buy a replacement anyway, it's a very straightforward job to change it.

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Realistically if the fridge has not been moved or tampered with ts very unlikely the position of the thermocouple would have moved. They are usually fitted in position with preformed metal brackets, so there's no adjustment facility.

So I return to other more likely issues. and the two most common issues are:-

1. A partially blocked burner assembly that makes the flame smaller than usual or its distorted the position of the flame .

2. The gas valve assembly has moved and that prevents the knob from being fully depressed to open the flame failure solenoid in the back of the valve.

In either case these are important gas related components and you should only attempt repairs if you are fully familiar with the product and have all the necessary test equipment.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Well it's not the thermocouple at fault. Original is reading a healthy 25millivolts. Seemed to vary a bit if I moved it about and looked battered so nonetheless installed the new as it was cheap. Very occasionally, it works. You can clearly hear the solenoid engage and disengage when it does decide to work.

Already booked a service for 30th June. Even if the thermocouple replacement worked, I was going to get it all checked over. Annoyingly it's first thing on the day I am leaving for a trip to the Brecon Beacons, nearest availability I could find. I was hoping to get it fixed before then as I was going to an off grid CL site. Going to an EHU site instead now. Hopefully I can get it sorted in time for my planned trip to the Royal International Air Tattoo in July.

I suspect that the solenoid gas valve may be at fault, but who knows. Apart from any safety implications I think it's better to get a professional diagnosis instead of chucking parts / money at it on a whim a prayer which may cost more money in the long run. Annoyed with myself for not checking the fridge on gas whilst it was still on warranty! Lesson learned for next time I buy a second hand van. Take heed any other newbies reading!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Well it's not the thermocouple at fault. Original is reading a healthy 25millivolts. Seemed to vary a bit if I moved it about and looked battered so nonetheless installed the new as it was cheap. Very occasionally, it works. You can clearly hear the solenoid engage and disengage when it does decide to work.

Already booked a service for 30th June. Even if the thermocouple replacement worked, I was going to get it all checked over. Annoyingly it's first thing on the day I am leaving for a trip to the Brecon Beacons, nearest availability I could find. I was hoping to get it fixed before then as I was going to an off grid CL site. Going to an EHU site instead now. Hopefully I can get it sorted in time for my planned trip to the Royal International Air Tattoo in July.

I suspect that the solenoid gas valve may be at fault, but who knows. Apart from any safety implications I think it's better to get a professional diagnosis instead of chucking parts / money at it on a whim a prayer which may cost more money in the long run. Annoyed with myself for not checking the fridge on gas whilst it was still on warranty! Lesson learned for next time I buy a second hand van. Take heed any other newbies reading!
If I remember correctly you bought the caravan less than 6 months ago from a dealer so it is still under warranty using CRA 2015! Take it back to the dealer for the repair. BTW the dealer should have serviced prior to selling it?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If I remember correctly you bought the caravan less than 6 months ago from a dealer so it is still under warranty using CRA 2015! Take it back to the dealer for the repair. BTW the dealer should have serviced prior to selling it?
As far as I'm aware there is no requirement for a dealer to carry out a "service" before selling secondhand goods. It may be a sensible thing to do, but it's not a legal requirement. All the dealer has to do is describe the goods accurately.

If the dealer said or implied the caravan was fully functional then yes this failure probably would fall into the CRA, but if no statement was made about the condition of the fridge, then sadly its buyer beware.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
As far as I'm aware there is no requirement for a dealer to carry out a "service" before selling secondhand goods. It may be a sensible thing to do, but it's not a legal requirement. All the dealer has to do is describe the goods accurately.

If the dealer said or implied the caravan was fully functional then yes this failure probably would fall into the CRA, but if no statement was made about the condition of the fridge, then sadly its buyer beware.
From what I understand the CRA gives the buyer of used goods the same benefits providing it is purchased from a Dealer. I’ve never seen a dealer make a comment about any on board equipment. And after SOGA didn’t CRA attempt to protect the customer against Caveat Emptor? Well worth having a go at the dealer. Nothing ventured nothing gained

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Any respectable dealer would normally service or pdi a caravan prior to purchase to avoid any comebacks although they have no obligation.
There is no need to a dealer to state that fridge was fully functional when selling as it is covered by CRA 2015 anyway! No such thing as "buyer beware" when buying from a dealer.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Any respectable dealer would normally service or pdi a caravan prior to purchase to avoid any comebacks although they have no obligation.
There is no need to a dealer to state that fridge was fully functional when selling as it is covered by CRA 2015 anyway! No such thing as "buyer beware" when buying from a dealer.
The van had the standard "hab service" which doesn't include detailed service of the individual appliances. On the service report it has a check box next to each item, followed by a comments window and another checkbox. So there is a cross on the first checkbox by the fridge with a comment saying "doesn't stay lit", followed by a tick in the second check box but no comment on what they did to rectify it.

I'm tempted to have the whole thing replaced. The heat exchanger on the back is very rusty and I don't want to suddenly end up with no fridge whilst away somewhere.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The van had the standard "hab service" which doesn't include detailed service of the individual appliances. On the service report it has a check box next to each item, followed by a comments window and another checkbox. So there is a cross on the first checkbox by the fridge with a comment saying "doesn't stay lit", followed by a tick in the second check box but no comment on what they did to rectify it.

I'm tempted to have the whole thing replaced. The heat exchanger on the back is very rusty and I don't want to suddenly end up with no fridge whilst away somewhere.
Any service on any caravan does not include any item in the caravan to be serviced, only checked. If you require gas items to be serviced you pay extra. Only real servicing is on the running gear.
Expect to pay several hundred pounds for a new fridge or if you are lucky, buy a second hand fridge, but that may also give you issues.
Why not get the dealer to rectify the issue as that is the cheapest solution. Have you spoken to the dealer about the issue?

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Any service on any caravan does not include any item in the caravan to be serviced, only checked. If you require gas items to be serviced you pay extra. Only real servicing is on the running gear.
Expect to pay several hundred pounds for a new fridge or if you are lucky, buy a second hand fridge, but that may also give you issues.
Why not get the dealer to rectify the issue as that is the cheapest solution. Have you spoken to the dealer about the issue?

The dealer is in Weston-Super-Mare. I don't think it would be the cheapest option.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I did not think you were that far away, but still cheaper than buying a new fridge. Why not get an Approved Workshop Scheme technician to look at it before lashing out on another fridge. See https://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/find-approved-workshop
A new fridge is circa £800. You may be lucky with a used one from a breakers or eBay, but then you will have to fit it. Just how far are you from the dealer?
Following Buckman’s advice why not insist the dealer pays for:the AWS engineer? That aside you should still write to the dealer putting them under notice under CRA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I'm having it looked at by an engineer on the 30th. I wasn't decided on getting a new fridge, it was just a fleeting thought. I don't know how long these things can be expected to last.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I'm having it looked at by an engineer on the 30th. I wasn't decided on getting a new fridge, it was just a fleeting thought. I don't know how long these things can be expected to last.
When we lived by the coast in a high humidity area, we had a fridge that was more than 20 years old and it had stood outside most of its life. It was still going strong when we gave it away. They can last a very long time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I thought I'd posted this just after post 40, but I got distracted but there has been an important development.

Both SoGA and the CRA make it clear that the buyer must ensure they intend to purchase are suitable for the intended purchase. in other words Buyer Beware is still very much the
way the law operates.

The CRA requires sellers to provide honest information in advertising and descriptions . It is still up to the buyer to ask the questions to ensure they understand the product.

Dealers are considered to have professional expertise in the product they are selling, and have an added duty of care to provide good advice if its is asked for.

The CRA does not support irresponsible purchases where the customer buys the wrong thing by failing to ask, or by going against the seller's description or advice, unless they have been given misleading advice by the seller.

The new development is the revelation that caravan had been checked prior to the sale, and the fridges faulty gas operation noted. This clearly shows the fault was present at the point of sale, and that someone at the dealership knew about it.

The question now is, was the fault brought to attention of the buyer before the sale was agreed? If it wasn't brought to your attention, there is a strong argument the dealer has failed and should repair or replace the fridge regardless of which warranty.

The nature of the fault and indeed your further investigations strongly points to a problem with teh gas control valve, either there is something preventing it from being fully depressed to set the FFD solenoid open, or the FFD solenoid has failed. In either case the cost should be minimal. I have seen the retail cost of similar valves in the order of £70 or less plus fitting

Discuss the matter with your seller, and provided they agree to a repair, it might be more cost effective for them to allow a mobile AWS fitter to complete the repairs and the dealer to fund it.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The new development is the revelation that caravan had been checked prior to the sale, and the fridges faulty gas operation noted. This clearly shows the fault was present at the point of sale, and that someone at the dealership knew about it.

The question now is, was the fault brought to attention of the buyer before the sale was agreed? If it wasn't brought to your attention, there is a strong argument the dealer has failed and should repair or replace the fridge regardless of which warranty.

The nature of the fault and indeed your further investigations strongly points to a problem with teh gas control valve, either there is something preventing it from being fully depressed to set the FFD solenoid open, or the FFD solenoid has failed. In either case the cost should be minimal. I have seen the retail cost of similar valves in the order of £70 or less plus fitting

Discuss the matter with your seller, and provided they agree to a repair, it might be more cost effective for them to allow a mobile AWS fitter to complete the repairs and the dealer to fund it.

Under CRA 2015 it does NOT matter whether the dealer mentioned the fridge or not.
Can I suggest that you refresh yourself on CRA 2015 particularly S9 & 10 and also 11. See https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/contents/enacted

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts