To book or not to book??

Page 14 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Wanted to book sites for June and found problems as Saturdays seemed to be fully booked most weekends. Ended up fitting us in but it was a struggle.
Are toy referring to CAMC sites or sites in general. We have had no issue booking a couple of days on any commercial site as plenty of room.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Three weeks ago I booked one CL and three Non Club sites, all FSP , no problems. I have also been pleasantly surprised that the Privates are often cheaper than the Clubs with excellent facilities too! Maybe a change of tack Ray🤫🤫

Reactions: Buckman

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I feared the worst in terms of traffic jams and crowding on the caravan park when we came from the West Midlands to Cornwall on Friday.
I'd planned to set off a bit earlier than usual to miss the worst of the M5 traffic passing Bristol but for various reasons we set out later than usual so that we arrived at Cribbs Causeway at lunchtime.
We sailed through, less traffic than usual and no hold ups.
I booked a CL just off the A30 for Friday night, again no problem and here at Polmanter Touring Park the site is only about a quarter full.
I booked an extra night stay this morning without any trouble at all.
We drove through St Ives at about 6pm yesterday and there were lots of people about, in pavement cafes, outside pubs and just walking around but obviously not many of them have touring caravans.
Lands End yesterday was busy with foreign tourists, mainly Italian and Chinese, but apart from blustery winds and squally downpours the site is very quiet and peaceful.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
TBH if you have never used a caravan previously why spend thousands on a caravan when you can use an AirBNB doe a fraction of the price and many are in excellent locations and can pets and children. We have used Airbnb in the UK and overseas and they can offer excellent value.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I feared the worst in terms of traffic jams and crowding on the caravan park when we came from the West Midlands to Cornwall on Friday.
I'd planned to set off a bit earlier than usual to miss the worst of the M5 traffic passing Bristol but for various reasons we set out later than usual so that we arrived at Cribbs Causeway at lunchtime.
We sailed through, less traffic than usual and no hold ups.
I booked a CL just off the A30 for Friday night, again no problem and here at Polmanter Touring Park the site is only about a quarter full.
I booked an extra night stay this morning without any trouble at all.
We drove through St Ives at about 6pm yesterday and there were lots of people about, in pavement cafes, outside pubs and just walking around but obviously not many of them have touring caravans.
Lands End yesterday was busy with foreign tourists, mainly Italian and Chinese, but apart from blustery winds and squally downpours the site is very quiet and peaceful.
Hi Parksy I hope you have a fantastic time and relaxing break at St Ives :)

Reactions: Parksy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
TBH if you have never used a caravan previously why spend thousands on a caravan when you can use an AirBNB doe a fraction of the price and many are in excellent locations and can pets and children. We have used Airbnb in the UK and overseas and they can offer excellent value.
Friends of ours in their early 70s hired a MH about three weeks back as a taster, they loved it. They are now the proud owners of a two berth Autotrail at £37k. No doubt if they don’t get on with it they will sell it as they are quite pragmatic. But I hope they do enjoy it. When we “ gave up” caravans for three years we had a wide variety of holidays in UK and overseas, from BB to very nice hotels, pubs and cottages etc. We enjoyed them but they are different to being in your caravan. The caravan becomes an extension of home with the only rules being the ones that you set yourself. If it just came down to money I would sell the caravan and it’s tow car tomorrow.

Reactions: Dustydog and Parksy
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I spent a life time travelling on business living out of a suitcase and hotels. Not for me thankyou. The caravan , as Clive says is your own personal Haven. All the creature comforts of home. Sky tv😁😁etc. BTW have you seen the price of cottages per week in Cornwall? Daughter was looking and was shocked. Thousands a week!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I spent a life time travelling on business living out of a suitcase and hotels. Not for me thankyou. The caravan , as Clive says is your own personal Haven. All the creature comforts of home. Sky tv😁😁etc. BTW have you seen the price of cottages per week in Cornwall? Daughter was looking and was shocked. Thousands a week!
We have paid as low as £25 a night in 2019 to a high of £60 a night in 2020. BTW who on earth wants to holiday in Cornwall? LOL!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We have paid as low as £25 a nihgt in 2019 to a high of £60 a night in 2020. BTW who on earth wants to holiday in Cornwall? LOL!
£27.50 per night here on Polmanter, a Practical Caravan top ten sites regular, on a fully serviced pitch.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Friends of ours in their early 70s hired a MH about three weeks back as a taster, they loved it. They are now the proud owners of a two berth Autotrail at £37k.
I do hope they haven't been scammed though at 37K I think its unlikely.

On Rip of Britain Series 13 ep 1 (BBC 1 9:15 Monday this week) a couple purchased a motorhome second hand from a company who hired motorhomes. The company had financed the business by offering a type of investment called a Chattel Mortgage based on the purchase of a motor home. The company use the investors money to buy a motorhome, and the Chattel Mortgage agreement has the registration numbers and VIN numbers incorporated into them so it ties them together, and the investors theoretically would own the motorhome until the company had paid off the mortgage with profits so it would seem the investment was pretty safe.

Unfortunately these chattel Mortgages don't show up in the HPI searches, and when the business started to fail, to raise money they started selling the motorhomes. The sales went through and all documents were transferred to their new owners, but they had not told, yet alone consulted their investors.

So there are a number of people who think they own a motorhome because they have all the normal documentation, and clear HPI searches etc, but there are people with a Chattel Mortgage which is specifically linked to individual motorhomes and they believe they own them.

My take is the investors with the Chattel Mortgages have lawful title to the goods as that is what the contract was designed to do, which means the company had no title to the motorhomes to sell them. This leaves the people who think they have bought them in receipt of goods sold fraudulently, and thus will be expected to hand them to the lawful owners, and sadly that does mean they have lost their money unless they can bring a case against the directors of the failed business - which unlikely as such financial transactions are at the bottom of the picking order of creditors.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I do hope they haven't been scammed though at 37K I think its unlikely.

On Rip of Britain Series 13 ep 1 (BBC 1 9:15 Monday this week) a couple purchased a motorhome second hand from a company who hired motorhomes. The company had financed the business by offering a type of investment called a Chattel Mortgage based on the purchase of a motor home. The company use the investors money to buy a motorhome, and the Chattel Mortgage agreement has the registration numbers and VIN numbers incorporated into them so it ties them together, and the investors theoretically would own the motorhome until the company had paid off the mortgage with profits so it would seem the investment was pretty safe.

Unfortunately these chattel Mortgages don't show up in the HPI searches, and when the business started to fail, to raise money they started selling the motorhomes. The sales went through and all documents were transferred to their new owners, but they had not told, yet alone consulted their investors.

So there are a number of people who think they own a motorhome because they have all the normal documentation, and clear HPI searches etc, but there are people with a Chattel Mortgage which is specifically linked to individual motorhomes and they believe they own them.

My take is the investors with the Chattel Mortgages have lawful title to the goods as that is what the contract was designed to do, which means the company had no title to the motorhomes to sell them. This leaves the people who think they have bought them in receipt of goods sold fraudulently, and thus will be expected to hand them to the lawful owners, and sadly that does mean they have lost their money unless they can bring a case against the directors of the failed business - which unlikely as such financial transactions are at the bottom of the picking order of creditors.
Thanks Prof but they did not buy from the hire company it was purchased from Webb’s at Reading who are a well respected and long established dealership.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Two days on our CL near Harrogate is going well. FSP but no drain. No problem. Can cope with that. Very cheap £20 a night but EHU is 16 amp with. £1.00 coin slot payment programme. Cheaper than we thought but it does refocus your electricity consumption😉😉😉

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Two days on our CL near Harrogate is going well. FSP but no drain. No problem. Can cope with that. Very cheap £20 a night but EHU is 16 amp with. £1.00 coin slot payment programme. Cheaper than we thought but it does refocus your electricity consumption😉😉😉
I don't class £20 plus metered electric as "cheap" - for this year, we're paying £10-20 for CLs so more like top end

Reactions: Buckman
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Sounds okay, but hope the electric supply lasts for a while with having to keep it going with a meter of a pound each time and that you keep dry and warm.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I guess it’s all relative. This CL is a mile from our family, Electricity costing £1.50 a day, FSP and view. Coming out of Brexit most sites are fully booked so for us £20 a night gives us everything we have missed for 12 months.

Attachments

• 5B47BEB2-F77C-47A7-B873-8B53C423A50A.jpeg
    5B47BEB2-F77C-47A7-B873-8B53C423A50A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts