Toilet cassettes, marigolds, or NBC gauntlets

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Is it me???

I am continually amazed (amused?) By the antics of some when it comes to emptying their toilet cassettes. They equip themselves with marigold type rubber gloves, or sometimes even industrial elbow length NBC type gauntlets to carry out the task.

Can someone explain why they consider it necessary to do that?, They don't don such equipment when they USE their toilet, Or do they :eek:

So why do so when emptying the cassette, it's not as if they are in any sort of physical contact with the contents is it?, Is this the result of all the advertising we are subjected to concerning the billions of germs it is our civic duty to destroy by purchasing the advertisers "sanitising" product.
Have people never thought of simply washing their hands after completion of the "Ceremony of emptying"

Then we come onto the question of why do some deem it necessary to rinse their cassette 5 or 6 times? Once or twice is understandable but multiple rinses? The thing is going straight back into use to hold more of what has just been disposed of anyway.

I have tried to make this question amusing, but it's a question that Continually occurs to me, usually whilst drinking a glass of wine and watching the antics of others onsiteE.

Thoughts?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I'm not a "modern man", I've never changed a baby's nappy - but emptying the caravan toilet is a lot more civilised than that so I too don't see the need for the PPE.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Never used gloves for the reasons you give. After rinsing out I would wash hands under the adjacent tap then return cassette to caravan. Then wash hands with bar soap and smooth some l over the bathroom tap. Quaint little habit I know.
As an aside since Covid we have stopped using liquid soap dispensers and only use bar soap now. Although Mrs OC does still have one that gets put out when we have visitors, that doesn’t include family though 😂

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We do not use rubber gloves after a couple of rinses i would put back the cassette into the caravan and would wash my hands with soap under a tap

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Never used gloves for the reasons you give. After rinsing out I would wash hands under the adjacent tap then return cassette to caravan. Then wash hands with bar soap and smooth some l over the bathroom tap. Quaint little habit I know.
As an aside since Covid we have stopped using liquid soap dispensers and only use bar soap now. Although Mrs OC does still have one that gets put out when we have visitors, that doesn’t include family though 😂
We have not had bar soap for washing hands for years preferring the dispenser. We also have one dispenser that contains Hibiscrub when dealing with unhygienic issues.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have not had bar soap for washing hands for years preferring the dispenser. We also have one dispenser that contains Hibiscrub when dealing with unhygienic issues.
We decided for environmental reasons to do away with dispensers, plus liquid soaps weren’t 100% soap and some contained constituents that have question marks over them. Plus it saves us money😂

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Looking like I'm going to be the odd man out as I always wear heavy rubber gloves when emptying the delightful contents of said receptacle.
It's not because of the contents of our cassette but more to do with the sanitary conditions at said disposal point.
Who's to say when it was last cleaned?
Did the last person using the facilities have clean hands when using the tap?
Did they push the cleansing hose right into their cassette?

Reactions: Terrym1 and Buckman

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
My wife never where's rubber gloves, wellies or even washes her hand after emptying the cludgie.

Then again she never does it as that's always my job 😉.

I don't use gloves: just two rinses;then back in the box. Wash hands, rinse and repeat.

Reactions: Hutch and Jcloughie
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Always manage with soap and water but I do wonder about the cleanliness off the pipe for rinsing the toilet out. This must surely be pretty filthy after a few people have stuck it in their toilet.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Wear whatever you are comfortable with. However it is worth remembering that bacteria does not get into your body through skin ( unless it is very broken). It gets in through soft entry points like your mouth, nose, eyes and erm….other orifices. If you do wear gloves, you have to take them off ( there is a hospital technique for getting gloves off without touching the outside) and then put the gloves somewhere where they are not going to contaminate other surfaces. If they do contaminate other surfaces and these are touched by others who then transfer the contaminants to a soft entry point, infection is actually more likely.
So unless you have NHS level infection control processes when using gloves, you are probably better off just giving your hands a good soap and water wash afterwards.
Besides, if you have a functioning immune system ( not all of us do) then some challenge to it is often a good thing.
Mel

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Having lived full time on a boat for 25 years using cassette toilets I rinse them until the water coming out looks clean, might be twice or six times, it all depends. When cassette is back in place I wash my hands with soap.
Never had a problem with scale or any other build up in my cassettes.

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
All make me laugh . Never had a pair of Marigolds in my life.
Ours is used for all bodily functions and emptied daily, usually early evening to allow the chemistry to work whilst we are out. Don’t wait for the red light . These things are quite heavy. No gloves. One careful pour out making sure the cap is well away from the disposal hole. Been there before🤮. Then fully open the top with the sliding flap and twist button Now you can see the works and all the naughty bit that didn’t leave . Rinse around with the supplied hose. Do NOT shake but gently pour out. Recharge. All ready for the next day. Shaking the tank causes the float to dislodge and cause issues. On that note I‘m feeling flushed🤪🤪

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Like many others, I empty the toilet cassette frequently before it's too full, and after emptying and a rinse I replace the Elsan Blue, replace the cassette and give my hands a good wash.
Emptied before it's too full and awkward to handle, the risk of contamination is minimal.
Gloves could harbour bacteria, so if they had to be stored somewhere, that area could become contaminated over time.
Hands washed in warm water with a good bar soap are the best option for me, but as our friend Beachball has been known to say, 'Each to their own'.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The site owners on cess pit tanked sewage systems must love the multi flushing brigade, filling their very expensive to empty tank with loads more water.
Having for much of our lives paid out large amounts for these tank emptying services it is something I am very conscious of not unduly inflicting extra unnecessary costs on others.

Even those on mains sewage must wince, knowing their sewage charge along with their metered water charge is directly affected by the amounts of water involved; IMO we are a very profligate society with water use.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The site owners on cess pit tanked sewage systems must love the multi flushing brigade, filling their very expensive to empty tank with loads more water.
Having for much of our lives paid out large amounts for these tank emptying services it is something I am very conscious of not unduly inflicting extra unnecessary costs on others.

Even those on mains sewage must wince, knowing their sewage charge along with their metered water charge is directly affected by the amounts of water involved; IMO we are a very profligate society with water use.
If it’s yellow let it mellow, if it’s brown flush it down……. Saves on metered water usage😱

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
We're all different but for some reason SOME caravan owners elect to "have every accessory for the task". We were on a CMHC site a few years back (I THINK it was Leyburn in Yorkshire) and one guy not only wore rubber gauntlets, but also a plastic apron (okay, probably protects clothes from splash-backs) but he also wore a mask...... Not a Halloween mask, but a proper filter mask as used when painting etc. Yes, I KNOW some folks get a bit twitchy about chemicals etc, but really..........?

Again, we're all different but for some reason (maybe my twisted humour) caravan toilet use is one of those things that divides people. An ex-work colleague used to use CL's with their caravan but flatly refused to allow solids in the toilet, their site choice had to include somewhere with public toilets/pub/cafe etc close by for them to use. I used to tease him regularly but he was clearly disgusted at the thought of having anyone use the caravan toilet for what it was designed for.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
We're all different but for some reason SOME caravan owners elect to "have every accessory for the task". We were on a CMHC site a few years back (I THINK it was Leyburn in Yorkshire) and one guy not only work rubber gauntlets, but also a plastic apron (okay, probably protects clothes from splash-backs) but he also wore a mask...... Not a Halloween mask, but a proper filter mask as used when painting etc. Yes, I KNOW some folks get a bit twitchy about chemicals etc, but really..........?

Again, we're all different but for some reason (maybe my twisted humour) caravan toilet use is one of those things that divides people. An ex-work colleague used to use CL's with their caravan but flatly refused to allow solids in the toilet, their site choice had to include somewhere with public toilets/pub/cafe etc close by for them to use. I used to tease him regularly but he was clearly disgusted at the thought of having anyone use the caravan toilet for what it was designed for.
A friend ( motor van) with whom we camp regularly is prohibited from using 'the facilities' for #2 by his wife - but she can :oops:

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I don't use gloves when emptying, as others have said a good hand wash after finishing the task does the job.

I rinse once if I'm putting the tank back into use straight away - if it's the last empty before leaving site then I rinse until I'm fairly happy there's no solids left, but it usually only takes two or three, especially as we only use the on board facilities for no. 2 in the event of an overnight emergency - daytime it's site facilities.

TRENDING THREADS