Tow bar kits

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
Not sure if this should be in this section or in technical, but does anyone have any experience of using or fitting tow bar kits? I was going to get a trailer centre to supply and fit a tow bar plus electrics but they had trouble with my rear bumper which they claimed may be damaged on removal and wanted to charge me an extra 2 hours labour for the privilidge. The bolts holding the bumper on are rusted in apparently. I'm now taking the car back to my trusted mechanic who I know won't damage my car and is used to working on my make and model. He has fitted tow bars before but would like me to provide a full kit for him. Looking on Ebay there are "Tow Trust" branded kits for under £100. Does anyone have experience of these or know if they are good enough quality? Are there any other places I could try for tow bar kits around this price?

Also, how long would it take an auto electrician to wire up single and twin electrics respectively? My mechanic isn't confident dealing with wiring and is honest enough to advise me to get an auto electrician to do this part for me. Just trying to get an idea of how much labour they would charge.

Any advice appreciated. Ta v.much. :)

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I've fitted Towsure towbars to 4 of my cars over the years. I suppose it took me around 4 hrs. Thats 4 hrs for each car! - lol.

I've always done the electrics as well which took a careful few hrs on top.

Electrics on older cars without bulb failure stuff is far simpler than more modern cars. I seem to recall that Towsure will advise what electric kit is required.

Drilling is sometimes required, some cars need a small bumper cut. You'll need a torque wrench, cheap enough from Toolstation or Screwfix.

Best of luck.

Rob

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi netti

I have fitted my own towbar on all but one (allready had one fitted) of my last 5 cars it takes about 2 to 3 hrs usually, the only problem discovered on my last 2 was how to supply a 20amp live feed for the charging relay as most modern cars dont seem to have any grommets to feed a wire through the bulkhead, the answer was supplied by (watson. john G) and used by me quite succsesfully that is to feed the wire direct from the battery (via 20amp fuse at the feed end)underneath the car to the boot fastend to the brakepipes with tye bands.

it is really quite a simple job as approved bars are designed to fit exactly how the car manufacturer dictates, so all the mountings ect, are pre-drilled.

colin

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for that. Feeling OK about not using a Witter tow bar now! Ha ha. Managed to get a reasonably priced tow bar kit, made by TowTrust I think. Going to get my mechanic to do it as I was going to change the bumper anyway. It was cracked when I had the accident and I had put a few cracks along the rear myself whilst learning how to reverse it!

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
hello Netti,

a word of help,depending how old the car is and make,try and find out whether the wiring for the caravan lights can be run directly of the car lights or do you need a towing module inbetween.as most modern cars lights run of a body computer and dont like the extra current draw.but as said the rest is ok.

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
hello Netti,

a word of help,depending how old the car is and make,try and find out whether the wiring for the caravan lights can be run directly of the car lights or do you need a towing module inbetween.as most modern cars lights run of a body computer and dont like the extra current draw.but as said the rest is ok.
Thanks for that Seth. Where would I find out this information? It's a 98 Mondeo if that helps.

TRENDING THREADS