Tow Car short list

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
The layout of motorway services is quite easy to ascertain using Google Earth, you can see the caravan/motorhome parking or if full the HGV parking. Even without unhitching for charging we never ever left the caravan unattended in motorway service areas.
This - and after using motorway services for charging a few times (Stone north, Hilton Park south), we tend to avoid them. I find off motorway chargers to be both more accessible (better close parking), less busy and faster (more than just a gridserve 60kW ecotricity replacement).

Reactions: RogerL
Mar 3, 2024
Visit site
The layout of motorway services is quite easy to ascertain using Google Earth, you can see the caravan/motorhome parking or if full the HGV parking. Even without unhitching for charging we never ever left the caravan unattended in motorway service areas.
A bit off topic but is this because caravans are very easy to steal? If so do they also sometimes get stolen if you are just in a campsite and out for the day?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A bit off topic but is this because caravans are very easy to steal? If so do they also sometimes get stolen if you are just in a campsite and out for the day?
They can be gone very quickly from service areas. But stealing from campsites tends not to be that common, and with good locks and near neighbours plus site staff it makes it more difficult. Having an awning up also makes it more difficult to steal. Some CL/CS are more remote and you may find you are the only caravan there, but again good security makes a difference. But at the end of the day that’s why it’s important to have a good insurance cover. It never bothered us as if it did I would question why we went caravanning if we see risk everywhere.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Mazda CX5 have good reliability record and rated for 1800kg.
New RAV4s hybrids are typically 1500kg..

Do some rearch on Xtrail CVT reliability, heard its not best and towing is only going to make it worse.

Apr 20, 2023
Visit site
Hello all - we are looking to get a tow car capable of towing a caravan up to 1600KG or so (we are looking to get a Swift Sprite Major SB or something similar size).

We are beginners and have only used rented motorhomes in the past.

I would be interested to know what members here are using for a tow car and what they would recommend?

So far I have looked at a bunch of online articles and I have listed
- Kia Sorento
- Porsche Cayenne
- Volvo XC60
- Rav4
- BMW X3 or X5
- Mercedes GLC
- Nissan X-Trail
- Skoda Karoq

Also listed a couple of EVs but I am aware of the range / charging convenience issues:
-Kiai EV6 or EV9
- Hyundai Ioniq 6

Any other suggestions or any negative comments about the above?

Also thoughts on PHEV vs straight diesel/petrol/MHEV?
Personally, I would check the potential new tow car towing limits to make sure that a 1600kg van is within its tow limits. A caravan of that weight could certainly cause a few problems with an ill-matched tow car

May 7, 2012
Visit site
As Other Clive says caravans are easily stolen so good locks are essential. The C&CC did publish details of where they are stolen most a few years back and the answer was when they are stored. The highest rate was from un protected storage sites and then from homes with CASSOA sites well down the list.
There were a number from the likes of services but they are low but should not be ignored. A lot of people do just leave a caravan unprotected and go for a meal or whatever and opportunists have hitched them up and been gone before the owners get back. It is rare as the thieves do not what may be on offer and normally are looking for something specific, so storage is more popular with them.
Sites in season are less common simply because people tend to recognise the people in nearby caravans making theft risky, sites tend to have barriers making t difficult to get in and out and cameras that can pick hem up. In winter though many ae simply stored there and could be vulnerable.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Besides usual security measures worth hiding Air tag or equivalent on the outside(better range). Will in crease your chances of tracking it if stolen.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I've towed 1700kg with a Mazda cx5 175ps AWD diesel automatic and, a 190ps Tiguan automatic AWD , and now a 2022 Kia Sportage 230ps hybrid.

TRENDING THREADS