Towbar spacers

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
I have just ordered a l/r Freelander with a 17" spare wheel , i also a 2004 alko stabiliser on my caravan, can anyone advise me what size spacer i should use on the towbar as it appears most people need to use one. Thankyou.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I'd be very wary about using any spacer on a new car because without an OK from the car manufacturer you may invalidate your warranty. The towbars have been tested and type approved with specific dimensions as laid out in the applicable standards and this includes the reach from the rearmost attachment point to the towball. By using a spacer, you will increase the bending moment in the towbar therefore also the loads in the underbody attachment points compared to the standard condition. If there is need to use a spacer for any reason, I would advise getting the vehicle manufacturer's approval in writing first.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'd be very wary about using any spacer on a new car because without an OK from the car manufacturer you may invalidate your warranty. The towbars have been tested and type approved with specific dimensions as laid out in the applicable standards and this includes the reach from the rearmost attachment point to the towball. By using a spacer, you will increase the bending moment in the towbar therefore also the loads in the underbody attachment points compared to the standard condition. If there is need to use a spacer for any reason, I would advise getting the vehicle manufacturer's approval in writing first.
LUTZ

I fully agree with your comment about aing spacers but how about the fitting of a stabiliser bracket and a cycle carrier plate between bracket and ball? The effect would be the same as fitting a 1inch spacer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts