Aug 19, 2006
Visit site
Hi experienced caravaners.

I have just purchased a 2000 Abbey Stafford County and would like some ideas regarding suitable towcars. Our Laguna is no good for towing so we are currently looking for a good used car.

We have looked at a Passat 1.9 tdi and a Volvo V70 2.5D estate. Kerbweight on both is 1600kg. I think the caravan is 1300kg max.

Can anyone help? Also has anyone had any experience with these caravans?

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Helen.

My Laguna 2Ltr estate has a tow capacity of 1300Kgs.

However if you do want to change, you could look at the Octavia which shares the VW running gear and as such are well built and both VW and Skoda can pull 1500 Kgs using certain models.

Ford's Mondeo has capability of 1500Kgs.

I've looked at the Volvo V70 and 850 estates before and realy thought that for all the extra cost (they hold their second hand price well) they were not a good investment. The Laguna is just as good and a darned sight more economic to run.

Regards.

steve L

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Helen.

However if you do want to change, you could look at the Octavia which shares the VW running gear and as such are well built and both VW and Skoda can pull 1500 Kgs using certain models.

I've looked at the Volvo V70 and 850 estates before and realy thought that for all the extra cost (they hold their second hand price well) they were not a good investment. The Laguna is just as good and a darned sight more economic to run.

Regards.

steve L

Aug 19, 2006
Visit site
Hi Helen.

Regards.

steve L
Thanks for replying steve. I have a laguna 2litre hatchback auto which has manufacturers restrictions on tow weight as do all renault laguna. It says 1300kgs then when the restictions kick in it ends up 1125kgs and then states driver only.

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
Just as a foot note on this, the Skoda Octavia shares the same floorpan with the VW Golf. The Skoda Superb has the same floorpan as the VW Passat.

All the same, I can recommend the Octavia as a towcar. I changed to a 2.0 TDi Sport derivative earlier this year and it's been an excellent, stable towcar.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts