Towing Caravan

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Hello
Can someone help with this I have a tow car in Spain and an English caravan can I tow my van with my Spanish car legally .dont wish to have both my vehicles in the same country .
Both are insured in their country's taxed as well .will I be able to get insurance for the caravan .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
oggie101 said:
Hello
Can someone help with this I have a tow car in Spain and an English caravan can I tow my van with my Spanish car legally .dont wish to have both my vehicles in the same country .
Both are insured in their country's taxed as well .will I be able to get insurance for the caravan .

Hello Oggie,

You don't tell us where the car and caravan will be used. But it is convention throughout the EU that provided an outfit is legal in the country in which it is registered, it can be driven on a temporary visit basis in any EU country. BUT it is wise to check the details for any country you wish to visit.

In the UK caravans are not taxed so they can be towed by any suitable vehicle. All you have to ensure is the number plate on the rear of the caravan matches the registration plate of the vehicle towing it.

Again in the UK, caravans do not have to have separate insurance for towing as it should be covered by the tow vehicles drivers insurance. But the trailer will only be covered for third party claims regardless of the type of insurance the driver has.

Many UK caravanners wisely take out fully comprehensive insurance for the caravan to cover loss or damage.but this is not obligatory in the UK

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Many thanks for the reply
We will be touring mainly in Europe but will want to see Cornwall Dorset for maybe a month each summer .i have contacted my insurance in Spain and they will insure my caravan whether English or Spanish I am covered for breakdowns in Spain or uk .
I found this out since the posting
Regards
Alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
bopeep said:
You cannot under any circumstances to a English reg caravan on a car with Spanish plates, you will be nicked

Can you be more specific please. are you referring to the UK or to Spain?

I cant comment about spain, but as far as I can understand from what i know about UK laws, as long as the trailer carries the same registration mark as the tow vehicle the, place of manufacture of the trailer is irrelevant.

I do know that in some other countries trailers do have a separate registration mark, but as trailers in the UK are not registered they simply have to reflect the towing vehicle.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Dutch caravans and trailers have seperate registration numbers to the towing vechile. I have not seen in the Uk or France. Caravans showing the towing cars registrations on the back of the caravans, So. !!,,...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Dutch caravans and trailers have seperate registration numbers to the towing vechile. I have not seen in the Uk or France. Caravans showing the towing cars registrations on the back of the caravans, So. !!,,...

Can you please check you comments as it makes no sense :eek:hmy:

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
EH52ARH said:

Can you please check you comments as it makes no sense :eek:hmy:

I think he is talking about Dutch caravans when he has seen them in the UK or France.

For clarification for the OP:

Spanish registered car with English caravan - the rear plate on the caravan must be the same as the rear plate on the car. If the car plate is reflective then that on the caravan must be reflective as well

However do note that many UK drivers would recognise it as a UK caravan irrespective of the Spanish registration plate and expect the towing vehicle to be right hand drive; a sign of some sort on the rear of the caravan to show that the towing vehicle is left hand drive might be a good idea.

Thinking ahead, if the UK does leave the EU then a separate Spanish country identification label will likely be needed as the EU stars and letter on the registration plate will no longer be compliant in the UK.

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
A Spanish registered car can only tow a Spanish registered caravan regardless of the make of caravan the caravan will have to have a Spanish number plate which will be different to the car.
The other way round an English registered car can tow any caravan as long as it has the same number plate as the car.

The spanish police are very hot on this and you will be stopped and fined and your caravan impounded.

You can import a uk caravan but it can be expensive and time consuming.

You do not say if the car you have in Spain Is uk or Spanish registered

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts