Towing with a pick up truck who does it?

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Am now breathing ea sy. Definition is not Kerb weight apparently. But unladen weight. Must see if I can find that.
The definition of unladen weight in the above Regs is 'exclusive of the weight of water, fuel or accumulators used for the purpose of the supply of power for the propulsion of the vehicle'. Note: accumulators = battery/batteries.

It differs from both kerb weight and that defined by the EC Directive for Type Approval/Certificate of Conformity purposes. It is typical of the arcane labyrinth that typifies so much UK legislation and the disconnect between it and the people whom it is supposed to serve. No wonder there is so much confusion and misunderstanding. Even those who work in the field of enforcement don't seem to grasp the differences so what hope does Joe Public have?

Reactions: otherclive
May 7, 2012
Visit site
It is true that insurance policies do not specifically exclude speeding. They do include a clause requiring you to take all reasonable precautions though and if you ae doing a silly speed rather than just over the limit it is possible this could be implemented if the circumstances are right. It would have to be excessive and dangerous though.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It is true that insurance policies do not specifically exclude speeding. They do include a clause requiring you to take all reasonable precautions though and if you ae doing a silly speed rather than just over the limit it is possible this could be implemented if the circumstances are right. It would have to be excessive and dangerous though.
I got done for exceeding the speed limit by 6mph and the insurance company ignored it and made no difference to the premium.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I got done for exceeding the speed limit by 6mph and the insurance company ignored it and made no difference to the premium.
I think Insurance companies would take a dimmer view if the excess speed was bigger. and they would get that information from the prosecution code for the conviction.

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Am now breathing ea sy. Definition is not Kerb weight apparently. But unladen weight. Must see if I can find that.
The definition of unladen weight in the above Regs is 'exclusive of the weight of water, fuel or accumulators used for the purpose of the supply of power for the propulsion of the vehicle'. Note: accumulators = battery/batteries.

It differs from both kerb weight and that defined by the EC Directive for Type Approval/Certificate of Conformity purposes. It is typical of the arcane labyrinth that typifies so much UK legislation and the disconnect between it and the people whom it is supposed to serve. No wonder there is so much confusion and misunderstanding. Even those who work in the field of enforcement don't seem to grasp the differences so what hope does Joe Public have?

We can all copy & paste info we like from other forums (Pistonheads) but I wouldn’t get to excited,
the thread is from 2016 & they are talking about the older D40 which was lighter

this article tells you all you need to know

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Mm thank you for the lesson? Isn't that what you did? Copy and paste an article simply from another view. Not sure why that would be anymore accurate-the source I quoted works with a team of traffic police and they were regular passengers in his truck and approved of him travelling at car speeds. But as you say, purely anecdotal. The fact that I have passed hundreds of speed cameras of all sorts of varieties at the car legal speed limit as indicated on my speedo leads me to believe that speed cameras treat me as a car and that if I actually did get stopped by police I'd probably be warned should my attitude not be too abrasive. The camera on the downhill slope of the a46 bypass has never flashed me and I always do exactly 70 there-as car drivers who slow to 60 not understanding the difference between a dual carriageway and an a road somewhat annoys me-turns out I am in the glass house and shouldn't be throwing stones! Anyway I shall be a conscientious objector and stick rigidly to the car and caravan towing limits as I always try to do and if caught might be tempted to fight is as the d o t have suggested.

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Just been out in our Navara and realised it actively seems to want you to break the law. You can set speed exceeded warnings and it beeps at us when we are 2mph above the limit. It can do 4or 6too, but we set it to the lowest. It thinks we are a car too. 60on A roads, 70on dual carriageways and Mways unless the limit is governed by eg the A15near Scampton which it knows is 50etc. So my defence would be 'the car's fault officer'!!! Nissan must think it is classified as a car for limits then?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It depends a lot on where you live, but many areas have far less cameras than they have camera mountings. Essentially this means that in many cases you can pass them at whatever speed you like as there is no camera in there, but if you do speed past on a regular basis then one day it will get you. There is also the point the force involved will take action at a particular speed and this varies plus your speedo may be reading fast, so a reading a couple of miles over the limit might not be that.
Some cameras do look at the size of the vehicle, so a pick up will probably be read as a car, and your car and caravan could be recognised as an HGV.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I agree I always stick to the limits but car limits not van limits! Shall continue to do so. Occasionally when in a hurry I do stick to GPS speed instead which except for on hills is accurate.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree I always stick to the limits but car limits not van limits! Shall continue to do so. Occasionally when in a hurry I do stick to GPS speed instead which except for on hills is accurate.

Unless the hill particularly steep gps variation is very small. Pythagorean and all that 👍

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My GPS speeds are 10% above my cars speedo. ie 70 mph. = 77 mph on Sat Nav. But my built in SatNav does not show speeds. Only my caravan Sat Navs do . So when towing the caravan I can sit at 66 mph on the speedo. Or just sit behind the HGV's if the Motorways are busy.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Where is your satnav taking its input from. 70 mph gps versus 77 mph satnav seems strange. Neither my Volvo nor Subaru satnav showed speed. But my Garmin does and it shows speed limit where you are. But not 100% fail safe.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Where is your satnav taking its input from. 70 mph gps versus 77 mph satnav seems strange. Neither my Volvo nor Subaru satnav showed speed. But my Garmin does and it shows speed limit where you are. But not 100% fail safe.
Sorry OC my message is not clear, I have now deleted the GPS bit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My GPS speeds are 10% above my cars speedo. ie 70 mph. = 77 mph on Sat Nav. But my built in SatNav does not show speeds. Only my caravan Sat Navs do . So when towing the caravan I can sit at 66 mph on the speedo. Or just sit behind the HGV's if the Motorways are busy.
Vehicle speedo's are rarely spot on becasue its all affected by the effective tyre size which of course changes as the tyre wears, and inflation pressures. But its unusual for it to be as far out as your post suggests.

I would trust the GPS to be more accurate and consistent over time than the vehicles speedo and I suspect most people who have compared their cars speedo to a GPS will have got a pretty good idea of the the speedo's error characteristics. In my case I know that at a GPS 30 the car says 32 and at a GPS 70 the car is 73/74. But each car will be different.

But what is particularly strange with the readings in your post is the vehicles speedo is apparently under reading by a considerable margin, and I know teh vehicle manufacturers go to considerable lengths to design the system to prevent it from under reading. They tend to err on the side of safety to over read a little.

Of course it is dependant on the vehicle having the right wheels and and tyres and being correctly inflated. An error as big as your suggest something is amis.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The built in satnav does not show speed, but if you exceed the speed limit an icon flashes up indicating the speed limit i.e. 30mph.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My tyres are the correct size, and when travelling at 70 mph on the motorways, 80 % of the other cars are doing the same speed . Just a few are overtaking, and fast.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts