Trigger Warnings??

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The latest is an old repeat of Midsomer Murders . Before screening “Beware this programme contains reference to witchcraft”.

Other programmes especially older ones warn of “dated attitudes”.
When I was a kid we had film ratings eg U PG X etc. Plus the watershed.
Even magazines like PCv have to be ott on PC issues!
Why are these trigger warnings telling me all the things I grew up are bad for me today😉

Maybe I’m just a thick skinned dinosaur 😜

Reactions: DaveA1 and Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
At present we watch 'allo 'allo in the evenings and you get the same trigger warnings. Same with many other comedy series of that era even Dad's army if anyone still remembers those programs.

• Wow
Reactions: Hutch and Dustydog
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Pathetic isn't it??

I dread to think what the warnings would be for "It ain't half hot mum" with the Sgt Major's attitude, and insults, to "La-de-da gunner Graham" and "Gloria"

Or for some of Alf Garnets comments in "Till Death us do Part"

Sad, because they were actually rather funny weren't they.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The latest is an old repeat of Midsomer Murders . Before screening “Beware this programme contains reference to witchcraft”.

Other programmes especially older ones warn of “dated attitudes”.
When I was a kid we had film ratings eg U PG X etc. Plus the watershed.
Even magazines like PCv have to be ott on PC issues!
Why are these trigger warnings telling me all the things I grew up are bad for me today😉

Maybe I’m just a thick skinned dinosaur 😜
Social attitudes have changed over the years. The younger generation may not, or have not, had our exposure to the programmes, and could find them unacceptable based on todays social and cultural attitude. Can you even still watch Steptoe and Son, or Till Death us do Part from the media streaming such as IPlayer,ITV X etc.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Pathetic isn't it??

I dread to think what the warnings would be for "It ain't half hot mum" with the Sgt Major's attitude, and insults, to "La-de-da gunner Graham" and "Gloria"

At the time they were funny, but by today’s standards not so. Attitudes change over time, which is probably why we no longer queue up for a good hanging, drawing and quartering 😂😂😂

Reactions: Thebossandhermaster
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Pathetic isn't it??

Benny Hill would have been locked up straight away! What about "Are you being served" and the follow on "Are you being serve again"?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Social attitudes have changed over the years. The younger generation may not, or have not, had our exposure to the programmes, and could find them unacceptable based on todays social and cultural attitude. Can you even still watch Steptoe and Son, or Till Death us do Part from the media streaming such as IPlayer,ITV X etc.
They are all available to Freeview and ITV.

At the time they were funny, but by today’s standards not so. Attitudes change over time, which is probably why we no longer queue up for a good hanging, drawing and quartering 😂😂😂
If they had a another public hanging the place would probably be packed so that most of the audience can video the event on their mobile phones.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Whatever happen to satire ?

Don’t these “today” people read Chaucer and Shakespeare?

The programmes mentioned were legendary and actually demonstrated how bigoted parts of British Society were at that time. These programmes actually supported those being insulted and how pathetic and wrong the insulters were. I suppose that’s too complex a scenario for people today.😥

I don’t think it is attitude more so naivety and non classic education .
One of the U.K. Countries is boasting a 20% illiteracy with their ten year olds. I wonder if they can read the Trigger warnings😉🙀

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts