Truma Aventa Compact Plus A/C fitted, but missing a document

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi folks,

At the end of last year we had our Truma Compact Plus fitted to the caravan, which we are looking forward to use.

I was watching one of Dan Trudgian recent videos, and he too had a Truma A/C fitted, but different model

He stated in the video to make sure a ‘Minor Works Certificate’ is issued and handed to you.

This apparently proves the work carried out has been measured correctly, wiring tested, and takes into account any changes.

This would cover us if anything happens later down the line, and we have electrical problems / leaks due to the A/C install.

I have contacted our dealership who say this is not something they supply, it was also Truma Tech who visited the place to instal so would be on them.

I’m currently waiting to hear back, but has anyone else had an A/C fitted and ensured the Minor Works Cert’ was handed to you?

Thanks

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Why worry about a Minor Works certificate when the unit ha a warranty and is also covered by CRA 2015 and S75 if a part payment was made suing a CC? I don't recall us having one, but our Truma was fitted 4-4 years ago.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Ok thanks :)

Just something I wanted to ensure I had,

Just on the off chance something happened and I was kicking myself I didn't ask the question, or source it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why worry about a Minor Works certificate when the unit ha a warranty and is also covered by CRA 2015 and S75 if a part payment was made suing a CC? I don't recall us having one, but our Truma was fitted 4-4 years ago.
A minor works certificate is a legislative requirement, which certifies the works have been carried out on an electrical installation has been done in accordance with the national regulations. It is a separate issue to the manufacturer's warranty on the appliance.

The regulations prescribe what types of work would or would not require the issuing of a minor works certificate.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A minor works certificate is a legislative requirement, which certifies the works have been carried out on an electrical installation has been done in accordance with the national regulations. It is a separate issue to the manufacturer's warranty on the appliance.

The regulations prescribe what types of work would or would not require the issuing of a minor works certificate.
I doubt if that would apply to a touring caravan? However it would still be irrelevant in the event of a claim. My guess is that any one can fit and wire up an air con to their caravan and they probably do not even have to be competent.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So why does Dan Trudgian insist on making sure it's handed to the customer?

Very odd
See my comment in #9 above.

However if the works are subject to the issuing of a Minor Works Certificate, (MWC) then the consumer should be given the certificate signed by a qualified electrician. It is the property of the consumer.

Not all appliance installations would need a MWC as some fall outside the scope of the regulations. Unfortunately only a professional electrician is likely to know the difference. I doubt the average consumer would know how to tell if an MWC is necessary or not.

If in doubt ask.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If it was fitted by Truma who are the manufacturers I would not worry but keep the documentation for when you come to sell. Surely Truma will have checked the regulations and complied with them. Possibly they are the best people to contact.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If it was fitted by Truma who are the manufacturers I would not worry but keep the documentation for when you come to sell. Surely Truma will have checked the regulations and complied with them. Possibly they are the best people to contact.
Highly unlikely to have been fitted by Truma themselves, but rather by an independent in their network. Ours was fitted by a supplier appointed by Truma and it came with a 5 year back to base warranty. The supplier also fits Dometic air cons, Oyster and other sat dishes etc.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Highly unlikely to have been fitted by Truma themselves, but rather by an independent in their network. Ours was fitted by a supplier appointed by Truma and it came with a 5 year back to base warranty. The supplier also fits Dometic air cons, Oyster and other sat dishes etc.

I was told they had to book with Truma, who sends an engineer to the dealership.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I was told they had to book with Truma, who sends an engineer to the dealership.
Possible, but it was probably one of their appointed suppliers. I am not sure if you can buy direct from Truma as generally they act as manufacturer and not a supplier. Did you pay Truma directly or the dealership?

However either way it does demonstrate that the Trudgian fellow is not always correct although he does offer some very useful advise and is worth watching.

Time to stop worry about a minor document in the grand scheme of things and to get on with enjoying the freedom of your new acquisition. (y) :D

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Dealership has now had a reply directly from Truma, confirmed they should have handed across this Cert

Looks like Dan was correct :)

"Hi Lee,
I've spoken to Truma this morning. She said yes you should have gotten one with the van. I told her you had tried to contact customer services and she said she has found your email so she is going to look into it and hopefully email you a copy soon. Hope you get sorted soon.
Regards"

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Dealership has now had a reply directly from Truma, confirmed they should have handed across this Cert

Looks like Dan was correct :)

"Hi Lee,
I've spoken to a girl called Truma this morning. She said yes you should have gotten one with the van. I told her you had tried to contact customer services and she said she has found your email so she is going to look into it and hopefully email you a copy soon. Hope you get sorted soon.
Regards"
Ask Dan how having this certificate help if you have a claim? Good luck, but what a lot of aggro over nothing. Personally it would not have bothered us as other more pressing needs. However you are happy and that is all that counts. LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
What if during Winter storage, the seal around the A/C failed, and water started leaking in for months. The Caravan mains is continually on as it has solar panel trickling away. Water then manages to find a way into wiring and a spark ignites...and we lose our caravan.

After a survey was carried out and it was found the seal was the culprit, surely the insurance company would request proof that it was fitted professionally by them, and not by myself.

I can just hand over the sheet, instead of panicking and trying to sort things out.

I know it's a big 'What if' but never say never ;)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What if during Winter storage, the seal around the A/C failed, and water started leaking in for months. The Caravan mains is continually on as it has solar panel trickling away. Water then manages to find a way into wiring and a spark ignites...and we lose our caravan.

After a survey was carried out and it was found the seal was the culprit, surely the insurance company would request proof that it was fitted professionally by them, and not by myself.

I can just hand over the sheet, instead of panicking and trying to sort things out.

I know it's a big 'What if' but never say never ;)
In most cases you would use CRA 2015 to claim against the supplier as it is probably not an insurance issue. If water caused a spark then there is something wrong with the wiring as the mains should trip. Just to add that we did have a problem with water ingress around our air con and it never tripped the mains.

Anyway if caravan is destroyed how will they be able to prove that water ingress caused a short, the mains did not trip etc. As said a lot of worry about nothing! However you are happy so not more worries.Air conditioning leak1.jpgAir conditioning leak3.jpg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Saxo,

I'm pleased you perused the certificate despite the suggestions from others it wasn't necessary, after all it was your caravan the item was fitted too, and you paid for the work and the law says you should have have the certificate confirming the connection to the mains supply was compliant with the prevailing regulations.

Moving forward I can only see some of theses sorts of issues becoming increasingly required. For example Insurers may want evidence of gas and electrical compliance before insuring a caravan.

I'm personally in favour of the caravan industry and after sales services taking a more professional approach to the execution of of their services, rather than the sometime ad hoc cottage industry practices that are so rife. Compliance with legal regulations rather than than weak and imprecise technical bulletins from the NCC.

Well done

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Saxo,

I'm pleased you perused the certificate despite the suggestions from others it wasn't necessary, after all it was your caravan the item was fitted too, and you paid for the work and the law says you should have have the certificate confirming the connection to the mains supply was compliant with the prevailing regulations.

Moving forward I can only see some of theses sorts of issues becoming increasingly required. For example Insurers may want evidence of gas and electrical compliance before insuring a caravan.

I'm personally in favour of the caravan industry and after sales services taking a more professional approach to the execution of of their services, rather than the sometime ad hoc cottage industry practices that are so rife. Compliance with legal regulations rather than than weak and imprecise technical bulletins from the NCC.

Well done
I have never ever come across any insurer asking for evidence of gas or electrical compliance certificate and doubt very much if that would ever happen? After they don't ask about the condition of your car or even a MOT when insuring the car.

I agree that the caravan industry needs to be more professional about a lot of the services they offer. However as it is a temporary "domestic" residence many legal regulations probably will not apply anyway as it is not being rented out.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi Saxo,

Well done
That then becomes a ban on "competent persons" doing work on caravans unless they're professionally qualified - given the lack of competence at some caravan workshops, that's totally unjustified.

Sep 2, 2021
Visit site
That then becomes a ban on "competent persons" doing work on caravans unless they're professionally qualified
However .... the definition (if and when poop has hit the fan) of being competent is indeed a current professional qualification or recognised certificated training , any other excuse / reason for claiming competence would fail.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
More regulation on gas and electric systems only brings more cost to the owners. This was looked at some years ago circa 2009, and the outcome was that touring caravan incidents are infrequent and the cost benefit of increased regulation was not supportive of such a change. It went the way if MoT fir caravans.

The caravan owner should have gas covered in a habitation service and can always request an electrical safety check (PIR) as an extra task.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman and RogerL

TRENDING THREADS