Truma Aventa Compact Plus A/C fitted, but missing a document

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You added "and they were not top of the range" while the truth is that only Lunar's top of the range Deltas could be fitted with A/C.

Lunar persisted with loose-skinned roofs for all models up to the Clubman long after other manufacturers had switched to bonded sandwich roofs - this prevented the fitting of roof-mounted A/C and roof mounted satellite dishes.
The 2004 Lexon could have an air con fitted no issue however the OP has been told that his installation certificate is in the post so they are happy with the outcome. (y)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just to clarify I did state that all OUR Lunars were probably pre-wired as I have no idea about other Lunars.

I also stated that "when fitting an air con normally the wiring is already in place so not adding another circuit merely "plugging into" the existing circuit which is why most people can do the job".

Again I should have said that all the caravans we have purchased have wiring in place and more than likely this wiring was used to connect up the air con i.e. there was wiring or a spur off the main circuit for the Omnivent.

Then it is probably a simple matter of connecting heavier duty wiring and dragging it through the roof to replace the original wiring and connecting to a 240v supply.

However I would think it is cheaper for any caravan manufacturer to simply use one grade of wire than to have different grades as whether 12 or 240v the wiring is the same.
This part of the discussion began with your post at #43, where you omitted to mention you were only discussing caravans you had owned. As the OP had not stated in this thread what caravan he was having AC fitted to, it's erroneous to assume his caravan was the same as yours. Most people do not have the same caravan as you.

Caravan manufacturers are interested in cost saving. they would not use mains rated cable if it cost more than 12V unless the circuit was definitely mains only.

Using low voltage wiring to pull through mains cable is far from being mains ready.

Suggesting using 12V dc wiring for mains power is irresponsible and dangerous, and that is why getting a professional job done is essential.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The OP is getting their installation certificate in the post, most people have their air con professional fitted so who cares about the wiring?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The OP is getting their installation certificate in the post, most people have their air con professional fitted so who cares about the wiring?
I looked at the wiring diagrams for the last few Luner caravans, ie 2016 to 2018, and none of them showed having Aircon wiring installed, .
I think you are giving us false information about Lunar caravans being "pre wired" for air-conditioning.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I looked at the wiring diagrams for the last few Luner caravans, ie 2016 to 2018, and none of them showed having Aircon wiring installed, .
I think you are giving us false information about Lunar caravans being "pre wired" for air-conditioning.
You are correct about Lunars after about 2014 as the roof could not support an air con so pointless installing the wiring as mentioned in an earlier post.

However the OP will be receiving their installation certificate shortly so who cares about whether a caravan is pre-wired or not? I certainly don't as I pay a professional to fit ours although many DIY and fit air cons themselves.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I always thought wiring harnesses in caravans was a bit Heath Robinson.
Apparently things have changed. I post this just for general interest
A long overdue move which should be welcomed. I always thought that caravan wiring seemed to be something of an afterthought and to call it a “snakes wedding” was a gross understatement 🐍

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having had a cable harness manufacturing facility within one of our businesses, the intricacies of the design can be mind blowing. It's not helped when a customer decides to move a connector just a few cm from the original plan or put in a new feature, and a whole new wiring harness has to be designed and manufactured with a new part number.

I recall a customer who just moved a 13A socket 10cm , and the first we know about it was when we had a call from their buyer who was blaming us for shortening half a dozen wires in the harness, and he had about £250K worth of production standing still on the production line becasue we'd c******ed up.

We were scrambled to go to the customers production facility to sort its out. We proved the looms were manufactured according to the design they has specified to us.

In fact it was their problem caused by moving the connection point in their product, and they hadn't considered the extra cable length that would be required for several circuits in the loom.

We never got an apology. and not long after the customer went bust, owing us about £50k.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have never ever come across any insurer asking for evidence of gas or electrical compliance certificate and doubt very much if that would ever happen? After they don't ask about the condition of your car or even a MOT when insuring the car.

I agree that the caravan industry needs to be more professional about a lot of the services they offer. However as it is a temporary "domestic" residence many legal regulations probably will not apply anyway as it is not being rented out.
The insurer may not ask for evidence of the condition of your car or caravan but the policy conditions mean it must be in good condition.
They are unlikely to ask for a certificate of compliance in most claims, but if something you had fitted causes a fire or other accident it is possible, although this might be more to pursue the party who did the work rather than you.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Glad you got the certificate, .. We all have something to learn, Buckman , maybe ask your dealer to get your one. 🤔
I do not see any point in chasing up the supplier for the certificate as it serves no purpose so not bothered, but thanks any way for thinking of me. LOL!

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi @Buckman

Just for my peace of mind really.

UK insurance provides are trying every tactic in the book not to pay out, it’s very well known, I think everyone is well aware these companies do everything in their power not to pay out.

If say for example the fire started from the double plug Truma fitted, which is stated on the Cert, The insurance investigation may look at that socket and ask who fitted this as it’s not the original single socket from factory. They could say it was myself who fitted this, I have no proof of being a qualified electrician and not pay out.

I now have proof this was changed over by Truma and with a cost of just shy of £40,000 for the caravan I’ll want to have as much paperwork to cover us and the claim so I don’t have any issues with a payout. And as we also have ‘New for Old’ it’s a no brainer.

There may be some who say it’s not required, but in our case with such a high cost, I’d rather have this document..just in case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi @Buckman

Just for my peace of mind really.

UK insurance provides are trying every tactic in the book to not pay out, it’s very well known, I think everyone is well aware these companies do everything in their power not to pay out.

If say for example the fire started from the double plug Truma fitted, which is stated on the Cert, The insurance investigation may look at that socket and ask who fitted this as it’s not the original single socket from factory. They could say it was myself who fitted this, I have no proof of being a qualified electrician and not pay out.

I now have proof this was changed over by Truma and with a cost of just shy of £40,000 for the caravan I’ll want to have as much paperwork to cover us and the claim so I don’t have any issues with a payout. And as we also have ‘New for Old’ it’s a no brainer.

There may be some who say it’s not required, but in our case with such a high cost, I’d rather have this document..just in case.
As long as you are happy that is all that counts. Now you can stop worrying about trivialities and enjoy your caravan. (y) :D

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
I wouldn’t class it being trivial if my caravan suddenly goes up in smoke and the Insurance question the double socket fitting and don’t pay out £40,000.

As mentioned, I’d rather have all correct paperwork if it’s asked by them :)

Thank you.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I wouldn’t class it being trivial if my caravan suddenly goes up in smoke and the Insurance question the double socket fitting and don’t pay out £40,000.

As mentioned, I’d rather have all correct paperwork if it’s asked by them :)

Thank you.
Then your insurance would claim from the insurance of whoever fitted the unit. Why worry about it? Be happy and enjoy yourself.

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Then your insurance would claim from the insurance of whoever fitted the unit.
Which is why it’s better to have the proof Truma fitted the socket, and the Cert covers this.

I’m happy as can be,

I now have all the paperwork to cover their specific electrical changes to the caravan, if anything happens (y)

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS