tweaking the output on your caravans battery charger for lithium

Dec 30, 2020
Visit site
well i dont know, i have built a lithium battery 120 amph but cant fit it till i get this problem solved and the car will need sorting as well you start these things
and it goes a lot futher than you realise so what do we do about charging at a higher voltage any one know ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are changing your battery chemistry away from the type your charger is designed to function with, then you must expect to have to change the charger also.

I do not know how well the new battery would survive with teh standard Lead acid type chargers.

You might be best consulting teh company that has supplied your new battery. They will almost certainly have some better information.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
I don't know about the particular battery you have, but to attract business most of the Li chemistry replacements for LA batteries have electronic charge control built in to make the change easy

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Does the battery management system somehow increase the voltage from the vans power supply which doesn't normally charge up to the 14.6v required for lithium. Solar charger should be no problem though.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Many Li ion batteries have a battery management circuit built into them. It should protect the cell from being over charged or drained too far. These built in units do not regulate the voltage, only enable or disable the battery.

External charge controllers are more likely to regulate the charging voltages. More comprehensive ones typically used with Solar Panels do have up/down voltage translation to maximise charge capability even when solar panels are not producing enough voltage them selves.

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If he can do that surely he knows what type of charger is needed?
Obviously I don't know Robbymax's experience or knowledge on the subject, the fact he has asked clearly shows some understanding that differing chemical compositions need differnt type of chargers.

You only have to look at youtube to find multiple videos of how to build Li ion batteries. Many do not discuss the charging in any great detail.

Here is jut one example
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adY-S8AH_Jc

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I guess that given that robbymax hasn't come back to us since December 2020 he has found the answers to his charging regime uncertanties.

This amongst many other lithium battery charging information sources would likely have been of help to him

Last edited:

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Given that the newer motorhomes designed around their exclusive use of lithium technology leisure batteries fit a lithium specific charger, after market changes we make by simply changing out lead to lithium surely come with compromises?

Dec 30, 2020
Visit site
Obviously I don't know Robbymax's experience or knowledge on the subject, the fact he has asked clearly shows some understanding that differing chemical compositions need differnt type of chargers.

You only have to look at youtube to find multiple videos of how to build Li ion batteries. Many do not discuss the charging in any great detail.

Here is jut one example
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adY-S8AH_Jc
hi everyone i am back well i overcame the problem by selling the caravan but now i have bought a motorhome so i have the same problem is back but there is no danger to the battery because i fitted a smart BMS and i can monitor the state of the battery at all times the charge output for alternators and lead acid battery chargers is the don't reach a high enough state of charge to charge lithium but alternators and onboard chargers can be tweaked so i will let you know

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts