Twin Axle with Alko and AWD Mover

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm due to collect our new Twin Axle Lunar on Saturday, and I have an interesting puzzle!

I have to have the twin alko wheel locks in (same side). So, I know you need to jack up the caravan to line up the second lock.

But, looking on my current Alko chassis, the lifting plates for the Alko side lift sit directly where the rear axle power mover will be.

So, how and where do I jack it up. I know that jacking on the chassis rail is a big no no, so where and how do I lift it up?

I have a small trolley jack which I bought for this purpose, but know I beginning to wonder.

I have seen the twin airbag solution, but it looks expensive and messy, I just want to know how everyone else does it and where to place a jack?

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
One lock does not satisfy the insurance. Caravan and Camping Club scheme insist on both, otherwise the insurance is either invalid or double the premium.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Oh dear :(
The strengthening jack brackets can only be fitted in the one place so if the mover is in the way :angry:
You can use your trolley jack under one of the two axles. Not that easy without getting down on the ground.
Use the cheat "not recommended " method . Line up one wheel using the mover. Then once the lock is attached and secured move the caravan again with the mover dragging the locked wheel until the second lines up.
I've had to use both locks for 8 years now and have got used to it even though it can be a pain.

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
ThePolisher said:
I'm due to collect our new Twin Axle Lunar on Saturday, and I have an interesting puzzle!

I have to have the twin alko wheel locks in (same side). So, I know you need to jack up the caravan to line up the second lock.

But, looking on my current Alko chassis, the lifting plates for the Alko side lift sit directly where the rear axle power mover will be.

So, how and where do I jack it up. I know that jacking on the chassis rail is a big no no, so where and how do I lift it up?

I have a small trolley jack which I bought for this purpose, but know I beginning to wonder.

I have seen the twin airbag solution, but it looks expensive and messy, I just want to know how everyone else does it and where to place a jack?

We faced the same issue and so ordered Nemesis locks instead. Probably not so secure but much more likely to be used!

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Dusty Dog, you can jack on the axle tube then? I might try the "dragging" method, but sounds a bit hit and miss, especially if you have to level it too!

Ricky, Nemesis locks not insurance approved, must be 2 gold standard.

What do other twin axle users do for insurance then? CCC policy went up to almost £600 without locks, £300 with. Tried a different company, they wouldn't cover without tracker?

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a twin axle Elddis insured with the CC. I told them I don't have wheel locks so I do not qualify for the "wheel lock" discount. However, I believe this is only 10 or 20% so is less than £50.00 a year. The cost of 2 locks means I would have to faff about for the next ten years at least to break even. Simply not worth it for me. :whistle:

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Similarly I'm with the CC and tell them I do not use the factory fitted alarm when in storage. It just means I don't get the 10% discount, but it saves me all the bother with battery support.

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
ThePolisher said:
Ricky, Nemesis locks not insurance approved, must be 2 gold standard.

What do other twin axle users do for insurance then? CCC policy went up to almost £600 without locks, £300 with. Tried a different company, they wouldn't cover without tracker?

Hi Polisher,

They did say we would get a better discount with the Alco ones but we still got a good deal and certainly a lot less than £600. They did insist on us having two locks though which makes sense.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just a thought folks, what does your handbooks say about changing a wheel, you must have to jack the van up for that?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Polisher, I'm with the C + CC although I have a single axle they insist on two locks, one wheel lock and the hitch lock ,are they actually stating two wheel locks? Maybe worth asking them the question.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Just a thought folks, what does your handbooks say about changing a wheel, you must have to jack the van up for that?

There are only three places where a van can be jacked for any reason.
1. Under the axle close to the brake backplate.
2. Under the reinforced web holding the axle to the chassis rails.
3. Using the Al-Ko jacking points if fitted.

Nowhere else along the chassis rails can be used to jack at any time, neither can the corner steadies be used as jacks

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi, Polisher, just seen on the CC web forum, that one lad uses a Milenco leveller unit, on the front wheel, he says this lifts the van enough to turn the the back wheel to fit the other alko locking lozenge.
Hutch.

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Definitely both wheel locks and hitchlock. I get Alarm discount, Tyron bands discount and ATC discount which brings my policy down to £290. it I elect to not have the wheel locks discount, it goes up to £600.
Thanks Damian for the info. Axle tube it will have to be, or the web. I'll have a crawl under it when I get it on Saturday.

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
A small trolley jack will fit between the wheels and you can jack on the central part of the chassis but don't use a trolley jack on soft ground

A second strong place to place a jack is on the cross bar of the mover where it bolts to the chassis only place a jack at the strongest point where it bolts to the chassis
I have a set of air bags to jack the caravan up with and find these easy to use

Or it can be done without any jack at all

Using the mover aline the rear set of wheels and fit lock disconnect the mover from the rear wheels,
raise the front of the caravan as high as possible with the jockey wheel front set of wheels should now be just skimming the ground with the front wheels, you may be able to move wheels by hand if not use the front mover to rotate the wheel to aline the lock

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " A second strong place to place a jack is on the cross bar of the mover where it bolts to the chassis only place a jack at the strongest point where it bolts to the chassis"

Absolutely NOT the place to jack a van and should NEVER be used to do so.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Reevco said:
Using the mover aline the rear set of wheels and fit lock disconnect the mover from the rear wheels,
raise the front of the caravan as high as possible with the jockey wheel front set of wheels should now be just skimming the ground with the front wheels, you may be able to move wheels by hand if not use the front mover to rotate the wheel to aline the lock

As the backplate, to which the lock bolts through to, is connected to the suspension then doesn't the plate move relative to the wheel when the caravan is tipped? Therefore a shear force is applied to the locking bolt and it could cause damage somewhere. Is this why some people say they have trouble removing AL-KO wheel locks?

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Possibly but:
The front of the caravan should be higher anyway when moving a twin axle caravan to relieve strain on the wheels as the caravan turns, so once the rear lock is on you shouldn't need to lift much more.
Only did it once when I had forgot my jack wouldn't recommend doing it all the time, but it worked as a one off...

You raise a good point had never thought of any shear force being there I suppose it would do the same when lowering the front later to level the van so you would have it either way.....

I do like using the twin air bags to do it, yes it takes a little longer but it's a good ice breaker with the neighbouring campers as they ask what it is..... and it's effortless it can lift the caravan up to 6" and it's safe..

I have tried a scissor jack in the passed between the wheels but found these can slip or move so wont even go there as an idea.

Just trying to throwing new ideas in to the mix.

It's time Alko thought this one out and redesigned the jacking point so it doesn't fit in the same place as the movers.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Reevco said:
Possibly but:
The front of the caravan should be higher anyway when moving a twin axle caravan to relieve strain on the wheels as the caravan turns, so once the rear lock is on you shouldn't need to lift much more.
Only did it once when I had forgot my jack wouldn't recommend doing it all the time, but it worked as a one off...

You raise a good point had never thought of any shear force being there I suppose it would do the same when lowering the front later to level the van so you would have it either way.....

I do like using the twin air bags to do it, yes it takes a little longer but it's a good ice breaker with the neighbouring campers as they ask what it is..... and it's effortless it can lift the caravan up to 6" and it's safe..

I have tried a scissor jack in the passed between the wheels but found these can slip or move so wont even go there as an idea.

Just trying to throwing new ideas in to the mix.

It's time Alko thought this one out and redesigned the jacking point so it doesn't fit in the same place as the movers.

I've never had much success lifting the caravan on the jockey wheel as you describe. It puts a lot of strain on the A frame plus there is a tendency for the jockey wheel to sink into the ground which such a high load on a concentrated small wheel.
Surely placing a scissor jack between the wheels is again jacking on the wrong part of the chassis?

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
You have to use common sense on where to jack. The universal no-no advice is there to prevent the novice from jacking in wholly inappropriate places. Like you I would rather use my trolley jack. The ALKO jack point must be strong enough to use the ALKO jack, therefore must be ok to use your trolley for example.
The points where the axle attaches to the chassis are necessarily strong enough to carry not only the vans weight but additional forces from potholes etc on the road. So, select a point under the axle/chassis where the chassis is a box, not an open sided box, nor the centre of the axle. You can avoid point loading from the trolley jack lift cup by spreading the load with a piece of wood, like old floor board (not chipboard please). Be sure to have axle stand(s) ready positioned as above-never the jack on its own

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " You have to use common sense on where to jack."

No, you do not have to use "common sense", you have to use the approved jacking points as described in my earlier post, and nowhere else.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Chris

see this link http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/technical/46356-al-ko-jacking-stiffener-plates-catastrophy?start=20
A trolley jack onto the Alko jack bracket is a very bad dangerous idea.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts