Tyre size change ? Sterling Eccles Caravan

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi looking for some advice from Swift group perhaps. My 2004 Sterling Eccles Amythyst MTPLP 1489Kgs has Hankook 175/14 tyres 99/98 load.I wish to replace with 185/75R14 from the same manufacturer which have a load index of 10/100.According to Hankook the actual sizes of the tyres, dia.etc are identical except the width which changes from 176mm to 182mm.

Looking at the wheelarch there appears to be space available.Would anyone advise against my plan? Would the tyre pressures have to be changed?

all replies appreciated

Cheers

DavidL

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi DavidL

I can confirm this tyre is technically suitable (dimensionally, Load Index and Speed Rating)and therefore okay for the van.

At 1489Kg the tyre pressure will be 60PSI

Thanks

Andy

G

Glad to know your plan is confirmed by the manufacturer. I am also looking at the same swop, but not on a Swift I may add. My tyres are now out of date and therefore as I am changing I feel it might be a good idea to go to the larger width for comfort and safety.

Looking at your van I am not surprised you wish to change as the maximum loading of your existing tyres is about 775 kg each, or at least that is what mine state for the same size. So that only gives you about 60kg safety margin, which is low to my mind. My van is only 1300 kg fully loaded so there is a safety factor of 150 kg in mycase.

One other side question though. Do you have a spare and what size is that? I suspect it is probably never been used. Will you change that as well or call it a 'spacesaver' tyre?

G

Glad to know your plan is confirmed by the manufacturer. I am also looking at the same swop, but not on a Swift I may add. My tyres are now out of date and therefore as I am changing I feel it might be a good idea to go to the larger width for comfort and safety.

Looking at your van I am not surprised you wish to change as the maximum loading of your existing tyres is about 775 kg each, or at least that is what mine state for the same size. So that only gives you about 60kg safety margin, which is low to my mind. My van is only 1300 kg fully loaded so there is a safety factor of 150 kg in mycase.

One other side question though. Do you have a spare and what size is that? I suspect it is probably never been used. Will you change that as well or call it a 'spacesaver' tyre?
Sorry, safety factor should read 250 kg, cannot add.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The tyre load ratings already include a substantial safety factor. There is no real need to go any further and add another safety margin on top of the safety margin already provided.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi Scotch Lad

Must admit had totally forgot about the spare and as you suggest never been used since the van was bought Feb 2004!

I think though I will just use it as a "spacesaver" just to get me out of a fix to the nearest tyrefitter if needed.

Intestering point from Lutz but wy have Swift Group increased the safety margin on all their new vans?

Davidl

G

In mycase it is not just the idea of greater safety, it is to get a better ride with a wider tyre. I also am slightly concerned that the pressure I have to inflate to, namely 65 psi, is also listed as the maximum pressure of the tyre. It has all worked fine for several years now and yes, I can just as easily replace like with like, however as I am trying to get a pair of alloys from Santa, I could be persuaded to get bigger as well. The weight rating only increases from 775 to 825 kg, so not that much. I also note the 'posher' version of my van has the bigger tyre as standard, but is I admit a little bit heavier. I also doubt that if in the event of an emergency I had to fit the spare, noone would notice the 10 mm width difference, and like you i would change the proper wheel as soon as practical. Once the spare runs out of time then i would change it to match.

Mar 9, 2006
Visit site
Davidl - I think you'll find that Swift increased the load rating as a result of numerous requests/suggestions from concerned c/vanners, particularly those on another forum.

In my case, I have a Swift Challenger with a max. load of 1500 kgs., with each tyre rated at 775 Kgs. Because of the lay-out, with battery,kitchen, fridge, cooker, wardrobe and "bathroom" all on the one side, I discovered that the load on that particular tyre was almost 775 Kgs. with the 'van empty, so obviously this caused a wee bit of concern, and needless to say, I very pleased that Swift are now fitting higher rated tyres.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts