Unicorn S3 Fridge switch burnt out

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Hi I have a 2015 Bailey Unicorn S3 with a Dometic RML 9330 fridge. I had the van connected to mains power and switched the fridge to 240 to prepare for a trip next day. When I went out the following morning there was dreadful plastic burnt smell and the knob of the selector switch dropped off with the spindle burnt through. After disconnecting power and battery and with gas off I dismantled the top panel and found the switch and front fascia melted together!! I prized them apart and have now removed the switch. The 240 V terminal of the switch is completely melted out of the switch along with the terminal to the temp controller.

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

Has anyone any similar experience and was the cause just the switch burning out or is there a deeper problem. No other parts seem to have been overheated or burnt.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
John

• Wow
Reactions: PTA
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Wow, glad your safe, Normally problems like this have happend due to loose terminals, causing arcing and then heat melting, causing more arcing etc. A fuse in the system should have ruptured But maybe replaced at a previous time with a higher rated fuse.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With damage like that it almost impossible to identify the exact cause via a forum. It really needs hands on diagnosis. I suggest you should refer the caravan to a competent fitter to ensure the cause is traced and the damage correctly repaired.

Reactions: PTA and davyayr
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I agree with Hutch and strong possibility of a loose connection causing the issue. You are lucky you never lost the caravan!

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
With damage like that it almost impossible to identify the exact cause via a forum. It really needs hands on diagnosis. I suggest you should refer the caravan to a competent fitter to ensure the cause is traced and the damage correctly repaired.
Thanks for the replies. I will seek advice, just trying to see if its a known problem.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
As I have before, could I point out to JohnNic that Unicorn is a range of caravans and it would benefit his cause if he gave the exact model - although he is not the only one who misses model out, not by a country mile!

Apr 20, 2024
Visit site
Hi I have a 2015 Bailey Unicorn S3 with a Dometic RML 9330 fridge. I had the van connected to mains power and switched the fridge to 240 to prepare for a trip next day. When I went out the following morning there was dreadful plastic burnt smell and the knob of the selector switch dropped off with the spindle burnt through. After disconnecting power and battery and with gas off I dismantled the top panel and found the switch and front fascia melted together!! I prized them apart and have now removed the switch. The 240 V terminal of the switch is completely melted out of the switch along with the terminal to the temp controller.

View attachment 5708

View attachment 5707

Has anyone any similar experience and was the cause just the switch burning out or is there a deeper problem. No other parts seem to have been overheated or burnt.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
John
Hi this has happened to our unicorn today. If I hadn’t come back when I did I’m not sure what I would have come back too. How did you fix this please

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
THe switch needs replacing, but it is also prudent to have the installation checked to see if there is another underlying cause.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts