Urgent help needed as offer ends tomorrow re Maxview 54CM PORTABLE SATELLITE KIT

Jun 8, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

Local dealer has 15% off tomorrow and am looking at the above plus 12V-230V Free to Air Digital Sat Receiver.

What is your experience of Free to Air? I am not interested in Sky so seems suitable as we have Freeview at home. I have briefly looked at Freesat but see no advantages.

Also I see on the Maxview website that they do a twin LNB version. What is the benefit of this?

Thanks for any prompt replies.

Cheers

Moley

Jun 8, 2005
Visit site
Moley said:
Hi all

Local dealer has 15% off tomorrow and am looking at the above plus 12V-230V Free to Air Digital Sat Receiver.

What is your experience of Free to Air? I am not interested in Sky so seems suitable as we have Freeview at home. I have briefly looked at Freesat but see no advantages.

Also I see on the Maxview website that they do a twin LNB version. What is the benefit of this?

Thanks for any prompt replies.

Cheers

Moley

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The advantage of Freesat is that you can get perfect pictures with Sky as long as you have line of site of the satellite
You need aSky contract to watch Sport and Premium channels but there are a lot of Freesat cahannels
A twin LNB is an advantage if you want to run 2 digiboxes or one Sky+ box
On my Maxview Semitronic roof aerial I have fitted a quad LNb so that we can watch 2 Sky+ boxes when we want to watch different programmes

www.freesat.co.uk

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
John,
Have spare sky+ box but thought you could only record with subscription card ,is that correct or will a freeview card from BBC do the trick?
Many thanks

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Moley said:
I have briefly looked at Freesat but see no advantages.

An advantage of true "Freesat" [the trade marked one] is that it has a 7 or 8 day EPG [Electronic Program Guide] which some decoders can display. Examples I know are the Humax FoxSAT has a 7day EPG and the Humax FoxSat recorder 8 days.
The basic generic decoders pick up the same channels but none I have looked at or have owned have been able to give more than "now and next" EPGs.
How important this is to you I don't know, but we find it very valuable when away to know what is available, through the evening and week etc.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
We have a 66 cm maxview with their free sat box, 12 and 240 volts. Excellent. In good visibility it takes me longer to connect the kit up than to find the satellite. You will probably get, dish, tripod, sat finder and compass, box. You will need to buy additionally, a scart lead to connect box to tv, a long f- connector to f- connector cable to connect dish to box. Pay about £20 for the scart as cheap ones are false economy. Connect up box to tv and power up. screw sat finder into lbn and f-connector cable to sat finder. In uK set dish to about 23 degrees, see scale on dish. switch up finder to get a sound. switch it down until it just doesn't sound. point dish east and slowly rotate it south. when you find the signal the finder will squeak. Follow the book to set the box up. In UK with a 54 cm dish you will get a picture as long as you get some sky between dish and satellite. If it is completely blocked by tees you may struggle. The bigger the dish the more trees it can cope with. Maxview customer services are excellent. I lost the big nob off the tripod- no jokes please. Phoned them and they put one in the post! Buy it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You need a Sky+ card to record but I have discovered that you can use the wrong Sky+ card for the box and as expected you won't get the premium channels but as not expected you will be able to record or rewind etc
We take the Sky+ box from the bedroom with matched card and a spare Sky+ box with the card from the SkyHD box and record etc as stated above works

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Thats how I understood it so we leave the HD box recording on normal and get twice the capacity while we are away then if we cant get a picture its not too much of a problem Thanks anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts