Used caravan weight plate upgrade?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
For some of their caravans Bailey give you an online purchase facility. Not sure what Eldiss do. Contact them directly, but they don’t have a good reputation for customer service, so then you would have to go via a dealership to see if your caravan is eligible. I upgraded a three year old Swift so it should be feasible providing your caravan has the weight margin available.

Reactions: wendyhairdresser
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have never had an issue with Elddis customer service and found that they answered most of our questions promptly.

However if the caravan is being bought from a dealer, then the dealer should be able to arrange the upgrade if it can be upgraded.

I think the cost is about £60 and if the caravan has had its annual service on time the warranty can be transferred.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It would be worth looking over the caravan to see whether there may be two MTPLMs displayed on the caravan. The label next to the door will show an MTPLM for marketing purposes. There may be a separate statutory plate elsewhere that displays the MTPLM that the caravan manufacturer documented for type approval purposes and which may be higher than that next to the door. If that is the case, one can simply remove the label next to the door because the statutory plate will still be present. The statutory plate is the only one that has any legal significance anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: wendyhairdresser
Jan 21, 2024
Visit site
For some of their caravans Bailey give you an online purchase facility. Not sure what Eldiss do. Contact them directly, but they don’t have a good reputation for customer service, so then you would have to go via a dealership to see if your caravan is eligible. I upgraded a three year old Swift so it should be feasible providing your caravan has the weight margin available.
Thank you i will contact them directly, buying from Raymond James, the sales man flat out told me its only possible for new caravans, but he’s very obviously wrong!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thank you i will contact them directly, buying from Raymond James, the sales man flat out told me its only possible for new caravans, but he’s very obviously wrong!
Yes he is wrong as for a small fee it can be upgraded however the post from Lutz is very pertinent and may save you a few bob. The sticker on the side which can be removed has no legality in law and is a guideline. Hopefully the vehicle will be capable of towing the upgraded weight of the caravan?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yes he is wrong as for a small fee it can be upgraded however the post from Lutz is very pertinent and may save you a few bob. The sticker on the side which can be removed has no legality in law and is a guideline. Hopefully the vehicle will be capable of towing the upgraded weight of the caravan?

I do have to add an important caveat here. Removing the label next to the door can only be done if the statutory plate and the NCC (marketing) information are not combined in one and the same label. I have a feeling that Elddis do or at least did combine them in which case my suggestion is not applicable.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I do have to add an important caveat here. Removing the label next to the door can only be done if the statutory plate and the NCC (marketing) information are not combined in one and the same label. I have a feeling that Elddis do or at least did combine them in which case my suggestion is not applicable.
We have had our Elddis for over 6 years and I admit that I have never checked, but the label by the door is starting to look a bit tired.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I believe that Elddis only started to integrate the statutory plate in the label by the door after they were taken over by Hymer. I don't know whether they still do.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
It would be worth looking over the caravan to see whether there may be two MTPLMs displayed on the caravan. The label next to the door will show an MTPLM for marketing purposes. There may be a separate statutory plate elsewhere that displays the MTPLM that the caravan manufacturer documented for type approval purposes and which may be higher than that next to the door. If that is the case, one can simply remove the label next to the door because the statutory plate will still be present. The statutory plate is the only one that has any legal significance anyway.
On my Bailey Vigo, the statutory plate is inside the gas locker.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi im buying a 2019 elddis crusader, is it possible to upgrade the weight plate on a used touring caravan? & how do i go about getting it done? Thanks
There is no hard and fast answer, as its up to the individual manufacturer, and how they may have assessed the caravan and its weight limits.

Some caravans have an MTPLM that is already at its possible top value so no upgrade is possible.

Some manufacturers will only allow weight upgrades when its brand new as part of the purchase order.

Some manufacturers will only allow an application from the original owner.

Its advisable to check with the manufacture concerned about your specific caravan model, and its age

In the light of some recent posts it seems that some caravan insurers set limits on the weight ratio of tow vehicle and caravan. Check your policy becasue a weight upgrade might exceed your insurers stated limit.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Some caravans have an MTPLM that is already at its possible top value so no upgrade is possible.
If the MTPLM is not at its possible top value it’s not an MTPLM. A maximum is absolute and cannot be increased further without some technical measure. A lower figure may be called a maximum under other specified conditions but it can’t be a technical maximum. Anything else would be a contradiction in itself.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the MTPLM is not at its possible top value it’s not an MTPLM. A maximum is absolute and cannot be increased further without some technical measure. A lower figure may be called a maximum under other specified conditions but it can’t be a technical maximum. Anything else would be a contradiction in itself.
Whilst I agree with the point you make, in the UK there are practices which are well established which differ from your ideal definition where by the caravan manufactures apply an NCC approved sticker which often has an "MAM" figure that is less than the caravans true MTPLM.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Whilst I agree with the point you make, in the UK there are practices which are well established which differ from your ideal definition where by the caravan manufactures apply an NCC approved sticker which often has an "MAM" figure that is less than the caravans true MTPLM.

The NCC sticker is nothing more than information to the consumer. The fact that the "MAM" on it is lower than the true MTPLM is only for marketing purposes to make the product more attractive to a wider public. There is no piece of legislation which recognises it as serving any enforceable purpose. So long as the customer stays below the NCC figure he or she is, of course, on the safe side but there's no reason why the MTPLM that the manufacturer has had type approved and which is shown on the statutory plate cannot be used to the full.

Reactions: ProfJohnL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts