Used EVs

Page 6 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Somehow I doubt that most of the noise on cars comes the tyres? Most diesels can heard anytime of the day. Best time for anyone to check is a night when it is quiet and hearing aid is switched on. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Not sure many in the natural world would be wearing hearing aids which was the question started off by your post #115.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not sure many in the natural world would be wearing hearing aids which was the question started off by your post #115.
In case you miss it I was referring to a human being standing next to a car at night with the engine running which is why i mentioned that it is unlikely that tyre noise on most cars will be louder than the engine. However thanks for putting a twist on the tale! :unsure:

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The majority of noise from cars is generated by the tyres, not the body work, thus the CD is not the most significant factor in terms of noise.
Others may say different but searching the net tyres don’t come out as the main culprit.
What do you think Prof? Personally all academic to me but the Guide dogs Association seem to know more😉

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Others may say different but searching the net tyres don’t come out as the main culprit.
What do you think Prof? Personally all academic to me but the Guide dogs Association seem to know more😉
In the first paragraph of the paper it refers to the noisiest place IN the car. That is not entirely relevant as its the noise heard as the car approaches that would alert wildlife or humans (is there a difference ?)

I live about 400m from the M6 Toll motorway. In my garden the garden the overriding noise I hear is tyre roar from the motorway.

I'm not going to add any more to this noise point in this thread.

Reactions: Tobes
Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
This paper only looked at stationary cars, so I would expect the tyre noise to be imperceptible.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our son in law recently bought the auto top spec Honda CRV Hybrid. He does a long trip of about 50 miles twice a week. Average consumption is about 42mpg according the car computer.

It hardly ever switches to the electric mode due to the nature of the terrain on the A roads. He also uses their manual Audi A3 diesel and gets about 62mpg so a big difference!

I am guessing that the consumption is due to the fact that when in petrol mode the car is carrying around a huge lump of a battery. On the same sort of roads our 3L Jeep will get about 34mpg and it weighs a lot more.

However on the plus side the CRV is a very nice comfortable vehicle with so many unnecessary gadgets it is confusing. LOL!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our son in law recently bought the auto top spec Honda CRV Hybrid. He does a long trip of about 50 miles twice a week. Average consumption is about 42mpg according the car computer.

It hardly ever switches to the electric mode due to the nature of the terrain on the A roads. He also uses their manual Audi A3 diesel and gets about 62mpg so a big difference!

I am guessing that the consumption is due to the fact that when in petrol mode the car is carrying around a huge lump of a battery. On the same sort of roads our 3L Jeep will get about 34mpg and it weighs a lot more.

However on the plus side the CRV is a very nice comfortable vehicle with so many unnecessary gadgets it is confusing. LOL!
Even without the hybrid battery the CRV is quite a sizeable car, and I guess he has the one with the 1.5 VTEC turbo, which whilst a nice engine isn’t renowned for being frugal.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

A non hybrid petrol would probably be a lot less mpg.
Isn’t it all about being green and lowering pollution?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

As others have said the ICE CRV's aren't known for ground braking fuel efficiency. and the typical battery used in Hybrids only weigh between 100 and 150kg so similar to two adults.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As others have said the ICE CRV's aren't known for ground braking fuel efficiency. and the typical battery used in Hybrids only weigh between 100 and 150kg so similar to two adults.
Can I assume you mean "breaking" rather than braking as I believe that when braking it sends a charge to the battery? Although the battery may weigh between 100 -150kgs when you also add in the weight of the driver it makes a difference.

I have not driven the CVR, but have driven the Accord and found it to be very heavy on fuel in comparison to similar size engine in other cars.

They previously had a 2017 Vitara and although a bit more economical than the CRV not great on consumption however it was a lighter vehicle. The A3 is a 2016 diesel.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
In respect of road noise of different car types.

I'm here in the south in a small village with a main through road that has a 30 limit on it. It's quite busy at times and walking along it the other day I took note of the car types going past. I couldn't tell any difference in road noise between the EVs, diesels or petrol driven cars.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In respect of road noise of different car types.

I'm here in the south in a small village with a main through road that has a 30 limit on it. It's quite busy at times and walking along it the other day I took note of the car types going past. I couldn't tell any difference in road noise between the EVs, diesels or petrol driven cars.
Were the diesels and petrol cars coasting past in neutral? :ROFLMAO:

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
True but the road noise was really the dominant source in my opinion. None of them were that quiet that you couldn't hear them coming.

Maybe the EVs were pretending to be real cars by playing engine sounds through external speakers.😉

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman
Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
As a matter of interest I wonder if the EVs impact the natural environment? Animals can hear cars coming due to engine noise, but an EV is virtually silent so may be on top of them before they realise it is there? Just a thought!
I would think less noise would suit shy wildlife? They'd be able to hear their surroundings much better, and of course they use eyesight / scent to warn themselves of any dangers.
I doubt someone could creep up on a herd of deer in an EV. Just an idea, I might be wrong

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
The wildlife around here seems totally unaware of any type of vehicle coming along.

Deer, sheep, pheasant, cows, tourists will just wander out into the road regardless of whether or not it's an EV or an 18 wheeled juggernaut.

Pheasants particularly have a death wish. You can see them by the side of the road a long way off and it's only when you're a couple of metres away that they'll make a dash across the road. My neighbour had his Skoda Yeti front badly damaged by one. He was on his way back from having the wiring replaced because the mice/rats had been feasting on it.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I've finally seen an EV that will do all I need - at least read the press releases of the Audi Q6 e-tron.

In Audi's IC range, the Q5 was too small and the Q7 too big for my specific needs but the Q5's electric replacement has gained space by moving the wheels further apart - with a 388 mile WLTP range and 270 kw charging it looks usable for my solo day trips - and my long-distance towing trips as long as EV charging points start to take into account the space needed for vehicles with trailers as I'm absolutely not going to leave the caravan somewhere else to charge the car.

This is a brand new platform, PPE, shared with the Porsche Macan so I'll wait a few years to let them get the teething troubles out of the way and then make the switch, that's if I'm still driving then!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... and-510bhp

Reactions: GaryB
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I've finally seen an EV that will do all I need - at least read the press releases of the Audi Q6 e-tron.

In Audi's IC range, the Q5 was too small and the Q7 too big for my specific needs but the Q5's electric replacement has gained space by moving the wheels further apart - with a 388 mile WLTP range and 270 kw charging it looks usable for my solo day trips - and my long-distance towing trips as long as EV charging points start to take into account the space needed for vehicles with trailers as I'm absolutely not going to leave the caravan somewhere else to charge the car.

This is a brand new platform, PPE, shared with the Porsche Macan so I'll wait a few years to let them get the teething troubles out of the way and then make the switch, that's if I'm still driving then!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... and-510bhp
I wonder what the cost of repairs and parts will be compared to your Touareg?
My mate locked himself out his Tesla X. His phone is the key and he left in the car which then self locked after a few minutes . AA had to smash a window to gain entry. He had to go to Tesla Bristol. £600 supplied and fitted🙀

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I wonder what the cost of repairs and parts will be compared to your Touareg?
My mate locked himself out his Tesla X. His phone is the key and he left in the car which then self locked after a few minutes . AA had to smash a window to gain entry. He had to go to Tesla Bristol. £600 supplied and fitted🙀
Touaregs aren't cheap to repair either - but then it's not a cheap car.

All modern cars are over-complex and repair strategies rely too much on replacing complete assemblies rather than repairing individual components.

IMO it's important to keep any car under extended warranty - or as I do, "self-insure" by keeping an equivalent amount in a notional repairs pot.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
All modern cars are over-complex and repair strategies rely too much on replacing complete assemblies rather than repairing individual components.
My V90 has developed a parking sensor fault which also affects the rear auto brake/collision avoidance system. It went in a few weeks back and they swapped sensors around, problem still there. Last week the tow bar refused to fold out and I kept getting a "trailer bulb failure warning" even though I wasn't towing,. The tailgate also started to close on its own when in the open position. On Saturday the tow bar issue disappeared and the tailgate is behaving. Part of my job is electrical engineering and a lot of this does sound like moisture ingress somewhere, it went back to Volvo on Monday morning first thing, on collection the parking sensor issue is still there and they admitted they couldn't find anything wrong with the tow bar/tailgate, BUT they had "updated the software" to see if that cured those problems.

I may be cynical but "software update" really does translate to "we have no idea so we are going to try and convince you we've done something".

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I may be cynical but "software update" really does translate to "we have no idea so we are going to try and convince you we've done something".
Regarding updates, if the consumer has a laptop at home why can't the consumer do exactly the same thing that the garage does and download the software into the car instead of being charged £100's by the dealer to do the same? After all isn't that why modern cars have extremely easy user interfaces? :unsure:

Reactions: RogerL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Regarding updates, if the consumer has a laptop at home why can't the consumer do exactly the same thing that the garage does and download the software into the car instead of being charged £100's by the dealer to do the same? After all isn't that why modern cars have extremely easy user interfaces? :unsure:
Better buy a Kia then as my updates are free until 2029, not via the air, but I download onto a 64 gb usb stick then insert into the cars data port and it then updates. But these updates wouldn’t help Gary as they are only for Infotainment and Navigation, and some control functions.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Better buy a Kia then as my updates are free until 2029, not via the air, but I download onto a 64 gb usb stick then insert into the cars data port and it then updates. But these updates wouldn’t help Gary as they are only for Infotainment and Navigation, and some control functions.
I wish I could update the Satnav in the Jeep for the odd occasion it is required as it is still a 2017 version although the vehicle is a 2018. Dealership want over £400!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I wish I could update the Satnav in the Jeep for the odd occasion it is required as it is still a 2017 version although the vehicle is a 2018. Dealership want over £400!
Have a look at SatNaviShop - I've used them twice to update the satnav on my VW Touareg - they include maps, software and firmware updates - the guy who does the VW/Audi ones is based in Lithuania but his English is as good as mine and the instructions are spot on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts