Utility Cars (pick-ups)

DJP

May 12, 2006
Visit site
I am currently towing our Ace Award Firestar with my company Sorento, but the company car tax is begining to bite a bit hard. My question is does anybody tow with one of these vehicles, such as the Nissan Navara or Isuzu Rodeo. I know Gordon has decided to change the taxation on these vehicles from 5th April next year, but the savings over the Sorento on my company car tax alone would still be around £1200 p.a.

I understand the towing capabilities are similar, but any recomendations or comments would be welcome.

DJP

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Pickups are designed to carry loads on the flatbed and their suspensions are laid out accordingly. Their back ends can therefore be rather temperamental without any load, especially when towing. It's not advisable to do much towing without ballast over the back axle.

G

Have driven new Navara and its a good work horse and quite refined, our friends have "shocklink" fitted after being advised by their Bailey dealer to go that route for 4 x 4 pickup caravan towing as it saves stress on A frame and caravan and makes for more pleasant drive - http://www.towitall.co.uk/towbars/dixon_bate.htm

for details.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I drove the Vauxhall version (possibly a previous model as it was a year or two ago) and was very impressed. Never towed a caravan with it but it handled an Ifor Williams twin axle and a smaller single axle trailer with no trouble whatsoever.

The cab was OK but a little cramped in the back. However, this one had a Vauxhall supplied detachable rear cover with windows etc that made the thing incredably versatile.

To be fair considering it was a "Ute" - I was impressed with the ride. I thought it was going to be like the Toyota pick ups or the Nissan - but no - very comfortable.

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi

We have a Mazda B2500 (the same as the Ford Ranger but differant badge) We have owned it for 2 years and towed a caravan several times in the last year. As a vehicle its OK. A bit on the cumbersome side and not the best of rides, but then the Mazda/Ford is an older design and the newer pick ups are far more refined. Personally I find it difficult to park (but then I find quite a few cars difficult to park) and it does seem to un-nerve cars coming in the other direction on narrow roads (clears the roads a bit). Otherwise it is fine, easy to drive and tows well. We have been running it on 20% rapes seed oil and 80% diesal which its quite happy to do. The smoke test at the MOT was very very low. We live up in the Cotswolds which tend to suffer from snow and ice during the winter so having a FWD is handy although not really essential (without wanting to start another fisticuffs here). We had planned to buy a "demountable" which is why we bought a pick up, but decided to go for more room in a caravan, so have a cover on the back (with windows) which makes an ideal mobile dog kennel for the two rather large and hairy dogs, has come in very useful for transporting the kids stuff about everytime they move flats (which seems rather often) and house clearences which we seem to have gone in for with elderley parents downsizing, clearing out, going into care homes and sadly, dying. A useful vehicle and a good tow car. When we retire and go down to one car? Well probably that will be the time we will be searching this forum for a the right car with brillient MPG, superb towing and easy to park

Sep 27, 2006
Visit site
Hi

We have a Mazda B2500 (the same as the Ford Ranger but differant badge) We have owned it for 2 years and towed a caravan several times in the last year. As a vehicle its OK. A bit on the cumbersome side and not the best of rides, but then the Mazda/Ford is an older design and the newer pick ups are far more refined. Personally I find it difficult to park (but then I find quite a few cars difficult to park) and it does seem to un-nerve cars coming in the other direction on narrow roads (clears the roads a bit). Otherwise it is fine, easy to drive and tows well. We have been running it on 20% rapes seed oil and 80% diesal which its quite happy to do. The smoke test at the MOT was very very low. We live up in the Cotswolds which tend to suffer from snow and ice during the winter so having a FWD is handy although not really essential (without wanting to start another fisticuffs here). We had planned to buy a "demountable" which is why we bought a pick up, but decided to go for more room in a caravan, so have a cover on the back (with windows) which makes an ideal mobile dog kennel for the two rather large and hairy dogs, has come in very useful for transporting the kids stuff about everytime they move flats (which seems rather often) and house clearences which we seem to have gone in for with elderley parents downsizing, clearing out, going into care homes and sadly, dying. A useful vehicle and a good tow car. When we retire and go down to one car? Well probably that will be the time we will be searching this forum for a the right car with brillient MPG, superb towing and easy to park
Ford Ranger, have one, drives like an old cart over bumps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts