Val d'Aleth campsite in Languedoc

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone been to the Val d'Aleth site in Alet les Bains. It has regularly advertised in the CC magazine and from the web site looks a nice place. I know that it is a smmall site but that is what we are looking for. Is the area interesting and not too cultivated.

Cheers

Other Clive

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I went there some years ago - it was full of Brits house-hunting!

Definitely would not go again! At that time the site was very scruffy, but of course it might have improved!

Interesting area though as its Cathar country!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I've seen more recent reviews which say something similar - but can't find them. One mentioned the local village 'closing' at 8.30, the site looking tired and shabby, and the 'welcoming owners' much less than welcoming, as if they'd run out of enthusiasm.

I'll keep trying to find the posting which mentions it - or perhaps the original poster will come along.

Feb 25, 2008
Visit site
We stayed atb this site in late May/early June this year. The location is right in the medeiaval village. Unfortunately apart from the old buildings, there is very little to attract any visitors there, not even a Cafe.

The site itself was very overgrown, branches had to be cut from the overhanging trees to get our Sterling Europa onto a pitch. Even then we had a branch just above our top vent window, which meant that it couldn't be opened. The site was so shady that we had to have the lights on inside during the daytime.

The weather wasn't good so I suppose that our judgement may be affected, but it is unlikely that we shall go to that site again.

We chose the site because of it's proximity to Carcasonne. That is a place to visit! Aparently even in the low season it is very crowded. Also go to one or more of the Cathar Castles, we went to Peyrepertuse which is quite spectacular. The other famous one is Montsegeur, It started to rain heavily on the day we went there, and so we didn't see much of it.

Anyway I'll be pleased to help if you need any futher information, or put Carcasonne into Google.

Regards

Michael - Derbyshire

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
I could only agree with the others. Site has great potential but having been once would not go again. A friend stay in the house on a B&B basis , breakfast was a small pot of yogurt

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
We stayed at Val d'Aleth site last September and as others have said the site is very shady and we had to have lights on in van during the day. The toilet/shower block is new and is clean. The site is next to the river Aude. The site staff are not very welcoming, we thought this due to them having had a long season. The area is very interesting and we visited Carcassonne City and also went to Andorra from site - great journey with beautiful scenery and Cathar castles that can be visited with detours

Cheers

Graham

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, as we plan to be in that area for 3-4 weeks I will look for another site. if anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful. Not looking for a major site with all the attractions just a nice location, good facilites, dog friendly, accept BBQs and of course a bar/cafe on site or within walking distance (essentail this one).

Cheers

Other Clive

Aug 28, 2008
Visit site
We stayed there a few years ago - great area - shame about the site and the owners. We were clearly not alone in experiencing a decidedly rude and unfriendly attitude from the owner who seemed to be more concerned to relax with his long staying (house hunting) friends than to spend time on the upkeep of his site or be pleasant to his other paying visitors. No ones mentioned the church bells which woke us daily at an early hour!

Agree with earlier recommendations on sites to visit and would add Rennes le Chateau, Esperaza market (Saturdays I think) and Mirepoix. The latter appears to have a number of campsites listed in the Caravan Club European handbook as has Quillan which is due south of Alet.

Please let us know if you find a good site - we would love to revisit the area but can't face those owners again!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
This one http://www.arnauteille.com/gb.html has good reviews on another forum. We haven't been, though, so it's not a personal recommendation.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Forgot to say, Domaine d'Arnauteille also takes Touring Cheques (see www.touringcheque.co.uk for details) so makes it a very reasonable

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts