Volvo V70 or Audi A6?

Mar 21, 2005
Visit site
Faced with an impending MoT, it is sadly time to part company with our beloved 1995 Audi A6 Avant - but after 174,000 miles I can't grumble. We have looked at 1998 onwards A6's and pre-2000 Volvo V70's but neither have the older car's super-useful boot (big storage compartments either side and under the 'floor') which we use a lot as we have 2 dogs so can't put much in the boot area itself. The Octavia Elegance has the boot but sadly not the weight to pull our Abbey 520SE (1405kg MTPLM). So as I have an aversion to 4x4's its got to be either a Volvo or an Audi (or a really really nice W124 Merc E-class) but...does anyone have any comments at all on reliability and economy/performance? Audi forums (predominantly American) seem to imply that the later A6 is a minefield of electrical problems, similarly Volvo owners constantly whinge about something called an ETS module failing on petrol engines. I could go crazy and get a pre-D5 2.5TD Volvo with the 5-pot Audi engine but is that asking for trouble?? I found a 1 owner 46,000 mile V70 2.4 140bhp auto petrol 00W at a Volvo dealer but they want £10,000 for it which seems a lot. It has all the toys including heated leather seats but I'm concerned about economy and (lack of) performance both solo and towing. I'm not a boy-racer but I've run enough cars to know that the lower powered one isn't always the most economical as you have to work them harder more of the time. £10,000 seems quite a lot for this model (being one of the oldest cars at the dealers doesn't help of course). Any thoughts would be appreciated. Decent A6 2.5TDI's don't seem to exist below £10,000 - the only ones I've seen were 'tired' in every respect and £10,000 is still an awful lot of money to put into a depreciating item. Please feel free to say what you like - I'm of the opinion you can never have too much information. My partner says we should just get another sub-£2000 tug and but a Fabia vRS but I'd really like to avoid the hassle of running 2 cars.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi Paul, I had a 2000 V70 2.4 140bhp for 4 years. Towed OK plenty of power on hills. Typically I would get (solo)30mpg round town and up to 36 mpg on long journeys. Towing, around 20/22mpg - with bicycles on the car roof. However, we only started caravanning in 2002 so it didnt have load compensating suspension. (Without it, hitch allowance is only 50kg and requires carefull loading to keep the rear end up - still towed OK though.) Would have had another but currently have A6 1.9TDI Avant (due to tax reasons). The Volvo was well specced and only ever suffered from a faulty electric rear window moter in over 80,000 miles (plus of course the inevitably frequent headlamp bulb changes). Ken.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts