Warranty on new caravan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You should not have to 'apply' for the warranty - the details should be included in the paperwork supplied with the van by the dealer. You may, perhaps, have to confirm your name and address (although I never had had to do this).
Did your delar not go through all the paperwork with you and explain what was what ? if not then I suggest you get back to him promptly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Yorkie,

It may not be obvious unless you know about it , but you normally have two types protection you can call on if you have made a retail purchase.

The first part are your stautory legal rights which are provided automatically whenever you make a retail purchase. These are based on the fact you have purchased something from a retailer or trader. This is your warranty and your rights are set out in the Sale Of Goods Act.

Most manufactures also offer second line of protection for new sales in the form of a manufacturers guarantee. This never suppereeds your statutory rights, it is always in additoin to them. This is not automatic and it ususally requires you to agree to its terms and conditions. However most caravan dealers will seek to set this up as part of the normal process of you ordering and buying a caravan. tecnically it is a contract and that requies some formal recognition.

Check with your dealer to see if the manufactures gurantee was set up, if not they should be able to send you the forms for you to check and sign, and then retrun them

Do read and understand the terms and conditions very carefully. In some cases there are some very specific dates or other criteria you have to abide by if you want the manufacturers gurantee to remain in force.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I should have added that your Sale of Goods warranty only applies between you and the seller, and any claim you make under SoGA has to be against your seller (Not the manufacturer or any other dealer)
The Manufactureres Gurantee is a seperate arrangmmnet that often mimics parts of the SoGA Warranty and usually allows you to get any participating dealer to hande a claim against the manufacturers guarantee.
I suggest you look at this excelent web site (and there are others) that helps to guide you through the your consumer rights;-

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/how-to-complain

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts