Water Filter

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I have not changed the water filter on my 2014 Elddis Explore since new. Should I replace it or bypass it? if I bypass it how easy is it to do?
Appreciate any advice :)

Feb 18, 2019
Visit site
Firstly I don't think there is a requirement to filter all the vans water, yes for drinking. We removed the filter from our Lunar after the first season, it was easy to do, just unscrew the outside cap, remove filter and replace cap. Not sure where yours would be but if it is in-line it is st`ll achievable and worth doing. I am sure someone will be along shortly to advise.
We take away a Brita filter jug for drinking water.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I suspect it will be an inline filter near the water inlet in the cold run. It is easy to compress the fitting and remove and push-click the replacement. I suspect the recommendation would be an annual replace but it depends on your usage. There are two sizes with different colour - I think blue or green printing. For about £25.00 I'd rather have the reassurance!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Graham,
At 4 years old you must remove or replace the filter, You should check the manufacturers instructions but I think you will find you are well past the suggested service life of the filter. It might actually be more of danger now from what it has caught and harboured for so long.

You question about remove or replace is in my opinion dependant on where you caravan. For example if you only travel in the UK, then the quality of water supplies are well regulated and you shouldn't need a filter at all. But if you travel abroad where water supplies may be less well managed, then a filter has its uses.

But there are places even in the UK where the supplies are more heavily chlorinated and that can make teh water taste unpleasant. A filter can help to remove such taints, but you only really need that for drinking, so a filter jug is probably the best solution.

If you have an in line filter, your local caravan dealer should have the parts needed to replace the fitting with a section of pipe, If its a water inlet filter, then as Sea Dog suggests it may as simple as removing the cartridge from the screw plug. If its a plug in cartridge type, you may find an empty one designed for flushing.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
My Bailey Ranger doesn’t appear to have a filter, I’ve looked and can’t find one and there’s no mention of one in any paperwork I have, does anyone know if there would or should be one somewhere and where? There is a ( let’s call it a ) cartridge inline in the pipework which I vaguely remember it being called a “damper”? I don’t want a filter but if there’s one hiding away somewhere I’d like to know so I can remove it permanently.

BP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My 2005 Bordeaux had its filter in an under sink cupboard. Like you I removed it as site water supplies are plenty clean enough here and abroad. If you find a site supply tasting chloriney then bottled water for drinking and tea/coffee.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Grahamh,I threw mine in the bin,pull up left hand cushion and its in the front corner(I assume you know this already ;) just get a piece of pipe same length as filter and push it in place(fully in!) I think you're supposed to change the filter regularly but at £25 or so what's the point? Most people only use the water for brews and washing?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Used the first new one in the van for about 6 months, changed it and went over to France every 12 weeks for a month didn't change the filter. Eventually removed it, never bothered again. . We drink the water from the van internals as we get through 40 litres a day with cooking Tea/coffee and showers.

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
Three true Statatements
I sell filters for a living
I drink water from the caravan water system
I don’t have a filter fitted to my caravans water system

I caravan water filter is invariably based on activated charcoal. Activated charcoal is very good at removing taints such as the chlorine preservatives. What they are not good at is removing bugs. Actually if you were to test the number of the bugs going into a month old filter and the number coming out of a month old filter. I would be absolutely shocked if the result wasn’t that the “filtered” water didn’t contain many times the original pre filtered number. Truth is that the filters makers, make no claim about microbiological improvement. People assume. The good news is in general the bacteria found in pottable water is harmless. So by all means if you think that the filtered water tastes better, or makes a better cup of tea then by all means carry on using them. If you think that the filters make the water safer then I think that you are mistaken.

Ps, the company I work for makes pharmaceutical grade filters these will guarantee sterile water. There are other reputable companies in this field. You don’t need such a filter attached to your water system, this is fortunate because you could afford them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Boff,

I agree about the function of activated carbon filters. However some filters also contained other components designed to have an anti bacterial role. I doubt they would be enough to kill all the bacteria from say pond water, passing through the filter but it was enough to stop the majotity of bacteria caught in the filter from multiplying.

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
Some filters are advertised as having a silver coating does has a bacteriosidal / static properties. This was known in Roman times. However if you coat the carbon with silver then denying the carbon it’s method of action which relies on its huge internal surface area, but something that is damp and err full of carbon is just about the ideal growth conditions for bugs. They are not bad filters and they will adsorb some chemical contaminates, but if you think that they will give you nice sterile, then my experience says think again.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Aqua Roll, have a mesh "thing" that you place in the Container and it is supposed to suppress Bacterial Bloom, but its abought £25. We just steralised the aqua roll every few month in the summer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts