Water HELP

Mar 6, 2022
Visit site
Hi guys,
I fairly new to caravaning this year.
We have a Bailey pageant Bordeaux 2007.
On our outings we noticed that the pump was kicking in around every 30 seconds or so, I decided to fit a NRV (to no avail) To do do this I at to discount the push fittings which released loads of air out of the system.
Having spent a week in Cornwall with a noisy pump I then changed the all rings on the inlet.
We then had a weekend away and found we had no running water it would not purge through the taps.
When we returned home home I changed the pump for a Whale fw8014 same specs as the older one.
Still I have no running water.
Am I missing something!!
Please please help

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Helo Brewster, and welcome to the forum.

Based on what you have told us to begin with where the pump was turning on about every half minute or so tells me a number of important things:-
Your pump is controlled by a pressure switch.
The frequency of the pumps operation points to a water leak somewhere on your water system. Basically the pump manages to pressurise the system, and the switch cuts the power. But with a small leak as the water is released it drops the pressure in the system and eventually the switch detects the drop and turns the pump on to try and restore the pressure.

The question is where is the leak? Obviously you will need to inspect all the pipework and fittings for any that might be leaking. You should also check your water heater to see if it has any leaks Pay close attention to the water heaters pressure relief valve which might double as a drain valve under the caravan.

There is one leak that you may not see any evidence of, and that is the pressure switch. The switch (and I'm assuming you have a whale model) has a built in Non Return Valve (NRV) which should lock the water pressure in the down stream pipework. But if there is any debris that has got caught in the NRV it may completely seal so some water may pass back through the NRV causing the pressure to drop, and becasue its still in the pipe it drains back to the water barrel with no obvious leaks being visible.

But your second report of loss of water flow after fitting an none return valve is more intriguing. Firstly where did you fit the NRV in your system? and secondly did you fit it the correct way round?

May 4, 2022
Visit site
Hi guys,
I fairly new to caravaning this year.
We have a Bailey pageant Bordeaux 2007.
On our outings we noticed that the pump was kicking in around every 30 seconds or so, I decided to fit a NRV (to no avail) To do do this I at to discount the push fittings which released loads of air out of the system.
Having spent a week in Cornwall with a noisy pump I then changed the all rings on the inlet.
We then had a weekend away and found we had no running water it would not purge through the taps.
When we returned home home I changed the pump for a Whale fw8014 same specs as the older one.
Still I have no running water.
Am I missing something!!
Please please help

May 4, 2022
Visit site
I had a similar problem, after a service the system was drawing air, I found that the lad doing the service had not tightened the lid on the filter. hope this helps

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Just had a problem with our Bailey system. It would not reliably pressurise despite new o rings. I had extended the intake a little to make larger containers work well. Problem was one of those joints was causing a small intake leak. If any air gets sucked in it certainly messes up pump efficiency and pressurisation. The effects can be vague and variable and suction side leaks are not obvious.

Steve

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
We presume that the pressure adjustment has been set correctly (see Whale website for A4 printable instructions) and that the tap spout end filters are not blocked?
Sorry if this is over-simple but you do say you are new to caravans and the pressure adjustment will need resetting if for example you change from EHU to battery supply.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
I had a lot of similar problems with the whale system fitted to our Elddis (except the no flow problem) I got the service kit and changed the NRV and all the O rings but still could not get a reliable pressurisation. I had to mess with the switch for ages at the beginning of each trip and even then I had to keep going back to it. (always setting with the correct Whale procedure) I changed the pump and I was getting a bit fed up with it all.
Then I bit the bullet and changed the whole pressure switch unit (£52 from Amazon) and it has worked perfectly ever since, this may seem a bit extreme but I consider it money well spent, and it was easy to fit with a bit of W4 sealant for the van side

Reactions: Dustydog
Jan 9, 2018
Visit site
Hi Brewster

My name is Hayley and I work in the marketing team at Whale.

Please feel free to contact our Customer Service Team who will do all they can to assist you with your query. You can call them on 0345 9090 911 or email info@whalepumps.com.

Alternatively, please privately send me the best number to get you on and I will get one of our team to give you a call.

Best wishes,
Hayley

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts