well finaly done it

Oct 16, 2022
Visit site
well we finaly done it we were looking for a motorhome but after a lot of though decided to go down the caravan root so of we went just to look see what was around at a local dealer we were just going to look as I thought as I mentiond before we have a suzuki vitara 1.4 so things were very limited any way after a couple of hours looking around wy wife hits me with I've seen what I want so as the loving husband I am I said ok so she leads me to a six berth Eldiss suprime 2018 so now I have the caravan in six weeks time no towe car so has to e deliverd and got to wait for 8 moths car dealer to get new towe car well so I suppose it will give us time to go on a driving course for towing and sort out a few thin appreciate any advice I been told I need a auto mover the wife want a full awning a couple of wheel clamps would I need an alarm all ready got secure storage so as I say any advice would be welcomed

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Congratulations, I really don't think an alarm in secure storage is much use, and with two good quality wheel clamps/locks plus a hitchcock that should be enough to move any thieves on to your neighbours caravan.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and to Caravanning. Shop around for a tow car. 8 months sounds like a long time when you will be itching to use your new van. Check everything ( twice) at the handover. Make sure you have a very recent damp check and if not, get the dealer to do one at handover. Enjoy.
Mel

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Before accepting the van check very carefully the back top roof corner's for any slight cracks, sorry to cause any alarm but I have a 2016 Elddis and I have had to have the corners covered with caps that Eldiss make just for this purpose!!
Also agree with Mel get it checked for damp
Alarm, probably already fitted as mine has one, but I'm owning up and say I dont use it, mind of of its own. Havent declared it on the insurance so no worries there.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Why buy a new towcar? Many dealers have ex demo vehicles which are often mid-range and then have bells and whistles added. We changed our car in February and got a vehicle that was first registered at the end of September last year (so 72 plate) and had 3500 on the clock at a cost about 25% less than list with the balance of three year warranty (which can be extended.) This is the third ex-demo in sequence that we have had and never a moments trouble.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations on your caravan does it come with a service history like what someone says hope it had a damp check done .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Your biggest issue if you cannot use the caravan for 8 months is that you will lose a lot of protection offered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and if there are any issues, claiming for anything like warranty work is going to be extremely difficult.

However make sure that the caravan has a full service history as you may be able to transfer the balance of the 6 year warranty. Can we assume this is a reputable dealership with a long history and not some fly by night outfit?

As said the essential issue is damp and cracks on he caravan. We have an Elddis product and were quoted over £9000 for the crack in the front panel to be repaired as the whole front panel had to be replaced.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Re Woodentops post #5 we bought a car last August. It was a late 71 reg Kia from the Kia Approved scheme. It had under 4 k on the clock. We looked at new but quite frankly all the dealers wanted was for us to use PCP with a wait of potentially 12 months. So buying under Kia Approved I was hard pressed to even see it as a pre owned car it was just like brand new. The big plus though being that under the Kia Approved purchase the 7 year warranty is reinstated. 2 years RAC cover for U.K. and Europe was included. Plus a full 7 year reinstatement of satnav updates, infotainment updates and KIA Connect the “ live” interface system. I estimated that over three years we saved nearly £9k compared to buying new. Plus it allowed me to trade in at a good price the previous car which was due some quite expensive servicing and maintenance charges. I also got two years servicing at a discount too.

PS Elliott how do you plan to move the caravan around before you have a suitable tow car if for example you have to return it to the dealership for any work required in the 8 months ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Before accepting the van check very carefully the back top roof corner's for any slight cracks, sorry to cause any alarm but I have a 2016 Elddis and I have had to have the corners covered with caps that Eldiss make just for this purpose!!
Also agree with Mel get it checked for damp
Alarm, probably already fitted as mine has one, but I'm owning up and say I dont use it, mind of of its own. Havent declared it on the insurance so no worries there.
Also given the problems some have had with modern Elddis caravans I would check the front skylight and front corner/sides. Buckman has had problems on two vans, someone else is fighting a case where I believe the floor is starting to detach, and only in the last few days another post tells of a new front panel being required, which Eldiss have agreed to supply but the dealer still wants paying for Labour charges to resolve the damp and fit the panel. Totally against the requirements of UK consumer law under CRA2015. A quick search just using Elddis reveals a number of members with significant problems in quite recent caravans.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Also given the problems some have had with modern Elddis caravans I would check the front skylight and front corner/sides. Buckman has had problems on two vans, someone else is fighting a case where I believe the side is starting to detach, and only in the last few days another post tells of a new front panel being required, which Eldiss have agreed to supply but the dealer still wants paying for Labour charges to resolve the damp and fit the panel. Totally against the requirements of UK consumer law under CRA2015.
Brief aoutilen. On our 2016 we had a cracked front panel within a week of delivery. While it was being repaired, the rear panel cracked in the centre. While that was being repaired the front panel cracked again in a different area. Each time the repair would take about 3 months and in that time another panel would crack. Came to a head when furniture inside started parting company from one another. Rejected.

On our 2018 it was the front panel that cracked otherwise no major issues and we are still very happy with the caravan having used it this past weekend.

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Congratulations, I really don't think an alarm in secure storage is much use, and with two good quality wheel clamps/locks plus a hitchcock that should be enough to move any thieves on to your neighbours caravan.
But a lot of insurers on large expensive caravans specify a long list of security items irrespective of where the van is . An alarm with tilt sensor is still a requirement on mine. Whatever Elliott does or doesn‘t do he must ensure he fully complies with his Insurers security requirements.
Elliott , I‘m with the others here. Not using the caravan for eight months is not something I would do especially with an Elddis as explained by Buckman. Why not acquire a cheaper 4x4 and use that for 8 months and sell it on when your new car arrives. Are you paying for the Elddis on your credit card? You will be wise to do so to gain the extra Section 75 Consumer protection.Good luck

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sellers are often reluctant to accept full payment fir the goods on credit card given the commission payable to the card provider. But CCA section 75 covers sales valued between £100 and £30000. So paying a deposit of £100 or more by credit card will provide cover via the CCA section 75.

“Section 75 can be used to claim back goods of a total value between £100 and £30,000. This doesn’t mean the actual amount spent using the credit card – rather, it refers to the total cost of the item(s) purchased. For example – if you were to use your credit card to pay a £1,000 deposit for a kitchen costing £12,000, your rights let you claim back the full £12,000 (as it is the total value of the goods that matters, not the value of the transaction). This does mean, however, that Section 75 does not apply to cases where you have used your card to pay a deposit for a transaction that amounts to over £30,000.”

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts