Wet weather touring

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
We're sure lots of you have experience of caravanning in the Great British weather. As it's been a rainy day so far here at Practical Caravan HQ, we'd love to know what your wet weather touring essentials and top tips are!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Always take lots of back reading so I can catch up, but not had it really wet enough this year to make any serious inroads. Only 7 Xmas books and a few mags to go. Often though I can spend too long just looking at local area OS maps planning for when the rain stops. I hold my wife spell bound with lots of interesting revelations from the map. Just recently in Brecon she was amazed ( or so I think) at how many Roman forts, camps and roads were in the vicinity of the site. And after spending quite some time in the Beacons/Black Mountains area when I was younger I offered to take her out to see some. Offer declined.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Mostly swmbo getting wet walking the dogs while I sit and read all the back pile of caravan related magazines. Beating the girls at scrabble is another favourite.

At the end of the day no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Waterproof trousers, and coats stay permanently on board. The dogs need two good walks a day. Wellies are an also.
If it's wet we go for train rides (eg NYMR) or find a welcoming hostelry depending where we are .

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We look for indoor places to visit, we joined the National Trust to give us plenty of scope.
We're in St Ives, Cornwall until Thursday week, we had torrential rain and gales yesterday so we stayed snug and warm in the caravan with TV and books.
More wet weather is predicted for Thursday so a visit to the Tate Gallery is on the cards.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Enjoy walking in the rain with the correct clothing and boots apart from my glasses steaming up, but the first night we had in a caravan years ago it rained all night with the rain coming down on the 12' Swift Corniche, the following morning when I looked out the door the caravan was surrounded by water with three ducks quacking outside,

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Good book (Or PC magazine) and a bottle of whiskey

If I have a bottle of whisky (I take it you drink Irish Prof), I don't attempt to read a book as I know I will forget what I have read.

I will though pick up a magazine (usually mechanical or gadget related) and read through it pretty thoroughly, come the morning I have forgotten most of what I read :blush:

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
Firstly, if the awning is not already up, get it up at the first pause in the rain to give some breathing space. (maybe influenced by having a very small 2-berth 'van!).

Then as long as I have an adequate internet connection I'll quite happily keep myself amused.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
crazyguider said:
I hate the rain, so stay in the van and read if poss. If its really bad, we come home! We really are lightweights!!

:lol: But at least you're honest about it! I have to say there's something rather comforting about the sound of rain on the caravan roof. Howling winds are quite another matter, though...

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
LizziePope said:
I have to say there's something rather comforting about the sound of rain on the caravan roof. Howling winds are quite another matter, though...

This place you speak of that gives rain without howlings winds, it must be to the south of Ecclefechan I am guessing; for I have not ventured further :p

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Anseo said:
LizziePope said:
I have to say there's something rather comforting about the sound of rain on the caravan roof. Howling winds are quite another matter, though...

This place you speak of that gives rain without howlings winds, it must be to the south of Ecclefechan I am guessing; for I have not ventured further :p
Same here for the past few days. :(
The torrential rain has finally eased off but there are still gale force gusts of wind.
We won't be too sorry to go home in a weeks time.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
We have been in sunny Cornwall since Sunday with another 11 nights to go, surely the weather has to change I thought we were going to lose our awning on Monday. I think we will give Cornwall a miss next year, hopefully the weather will be better in September when we have another 2 weeks.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
thedoog1 said:
We have been in sunny Cornwall since Sunday with another 11 nights to go, surely the weather has to change I thought we were going to lose our awning on Monday. I think we will give Cornwall a miss next year, hopefully the weather will be better in September when we have another 2 weeks.
We're on Polmanter near St Ives, it's a very open site and the rain is horizontal at times.
Massive roadworks on the A30 have deterred us from venturing too far to visit places and it
looks as though fellow caravanners and motorhomes are staying inside today, there's not a soul to be seen.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Cheer up Steve.
Kev's not away so the rain won't last. Why not have a trip to the Eden Project . All  undercover . Or if you and Carole are feeling adventurous try Flambards or a tin mine at Gievor :)

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Cheer up Steve.
Kev's not away so the rain won't last. Why not have a trip to the Eden Project . All  undercover . Or if you and Carole are feeling adventurous try Flambards or a tin mine at Gievor :)

Sir Dusty...let them all have the rain this week and I can go next weekend in glorious sunshine, :evil: :evil:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Oh! Sir Gagakev.
Thank goodness I don't go away until a week Saturday. Sadly I will miss your rain dance :p
May your weekend be fun, may the sun shine upon your face and may your Woosiepot continue to stand the pressures of you and Lady Mags :evil: B)y

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
We're here for 8 days, -- http://www.riverlaver.co.uk/rally.html ,
Beautiful sunshine one minute, then persisting down , next, ....... come on Kev try harder!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Oh! Sir Gagakev.
Thank goodness I don't go away until a week Saturday. Sadly I will miss your rain dance :p
May your weekend be fun, may the sun shine upon your face and may your Woosiepot continue to stand the pressures of you and Lady Mags :evil: B)y

animated-rain-image-0040.gif

I wont let you down :whistle:

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
We're here for 8 days, -- http://www.riverlaver.co.uk/rally.html ,
Beautiful sunshine one minute, then persisting down , next, ....... come on Kev try harder!

animated-rain-image-0024.gif

I'm trying my best :whistle: :evil:

TRENDING THREADS