What bugs you most about your fellow motorist?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Most of those already said, but my biggest is drivers who think the correct response to a traffic light turning green is to sit and stare at it and try to work out what to do next.

The sub-group of those who stare at the green light and move off when it turns amber (so the car behind can't follow without crashing the red)

People who are discourteous to learner drivers (and not only because Gozza Junior is one at the moment).

Following on from Parksy's comment, I've never done HGV but I've done a lot of Advanced Driver training so I know the importance of allowing a moment of irritation, then letting it go and moving on with my life!

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
People who think their DLR's automatically switch on their tail lights in low visibility!
Although on the Citroen the tail lights DO come on with the DLRs. And when I plug the caravan electrics in, the caravan lights come on as well. The only way to turn the caravan lights off is either stop the engine, or unplug the electrics.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Although on the Citroen the tail lights DO come on with the DLRs. And when I plug the caravan electrics in, the caravan lights come on as well. The only way to turn the caravan lights off is either stop the engine, or unplug the electrics.
That's only 1 example. The vast majority don't!

Especially when the numpty owner who knows better has decided to pull the fuse from the DLR circuit because they can see alright 🙄

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That's only 1 example. The vast majority don't!

Especially when the numpty owner who knows better has decided to pull the fuse from the DLR circuit because they can see alright 🙄
Surely DRLs do nothing for forward visibility and I cannot see why shutting those lights off by any means makes one iota of difference to any drivers forward visibility.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I never use Auto as I just have a concern that the lights could come on and tempt someone out of a side road into my path in case they inadvertently think it’s signaling them to exit their road. I know it’s not the same as flashing headlights but one cannot predict the response of a driver who is itching to exit their road. Irrational I know.

Rarely use headlight flashes either.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I never use Auto as I just have a concern that the lights could come on and tempt someone out of a side road into my path in case they inadvertently think it’s signaling them to exit their road. I know it’s not the same as flashing headlights but one cannot predict the response of a driver who is itching to exit their road. Irrational I know.

Rarely use headlight flashes either.
Interesting. Both our cars have been left in Auto since birth. But as if Auto equals off we react to the immediate light situation and turn whatever needs to be turned on. Auto is probably totally misunderstood by most. Whose fault is that😉💋

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Interesting. Both our cars have been left in Auto since birth. But as if Auto equals off we react to the immediate light situation and turn whatever needs to be turned on. Auto is probably totally misunderstood by most. Whose fault is that😉💋
I use the Auto lights setting on my Touareg - its switching point is about the same as I would use "manually", if anything a little conservative - my previous Hyundai Santa Fe and my son's previous Vauxhall Vectra had auto lights but they didn't operate until it was too dark, IMO.

Reactions: Dustydog
Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
People who cut corners on bends or T junctions, it shows a complete disregard of other road users

I have heard a rumour and frankly I don't believe it myself that next year there is talk of fitting indicators to some of the larger teutonic models! It will only confuse the drivers :):):)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Inconsiderate road users who do not signal their intentions i.e. when turning, or at a roundabout. This is where you have to be so diligent at all times due to this lack of care and attention these drivers do not show. We live in a time now where the roads are congested and this is where more care is needed, but not always exhibited.....sad to say.

Reactions: ProfJohnL and JB1
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Inconsiderate road users who do not signal their intentions i.e. when turning, or at a roundabout. This is where you have to be so diligent at all times due to this lack of care and attention these drivers do not show. We live in a time now where the roads are congested and this is where more care is needed, but not always exhibited.....sad to say.
Expect the unexpected - and be pleasantly surprised when others drive properly!

JB1

Aug 4, 2022
Visit site
As Already mentioned people who pull into your breaking space on the motorway, this is highlighted when travelling on a fairly busy but flowing motorway in my current car with active cruise control which keeps a constant set gap to the car in front , even when set on the closest distance which is not huge gap either, I regularly get undertaken on the motorway and the undertaking vehicle then attempts to pull into the gap set by my cruise control, just to sit a few feet closer to the car I was following? I often wish I had chosen the optional Exocet missile .

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
And those joining not accelerating upto speed to safely pull out without making me slow down! The slip lane is technically an acceleration lane.
Unfortunately some vehicles can’t get up to motorway speeds in the length of slip road available, I can struggle to get to 60 on some of them so below the 70 I am allowed to do (obviously if the conditions are correct) but I always gauge my entrance, say a lorry is approaching and has nowhere to go I adjust my speed so they don’t have to slow down….unless they are happy with slowing and flash me out.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unfortunately some vehicles can’t get up to motorway speeds in the length of slip road available, I can struggle to get to 60 on some of them so below the 70 I am allowed to do (obviously if the conditions are correct) but I always gauge my entrance, say a lorry is approaching and has nowhere to go I adjust my speed so they don’t have to slow down….unless they are happy with slowing and flash me out.
Are you sure the driver is flashing you out? Perhaps he letting you know that he is coming through whether you like it or not. As you are on the joining road you should be prepared to give way. The highway code does not assign any meaning to a flash of a headlight except as means of letting other road user know you are there.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Are you sure the driver is flashing you out? Perhaps he letting you know that he is coming through whether you like it or not. As you are on the joining road you should be prepared to give way. The highway code does not assign any meaning to a flash of a headlight except as means of letting other road user know you are there.
Yes, positive, thank you, I am very aware what’s going on in front of me and what’s going on behind me when it comes to driving.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The problem is that other idiots instead of slowing down to allow the vehicle on the motorway to pass, they will accelerate and squeeze past it. We have been on the motorway with a incoming slip road and cannot move over into the middle lane due to traffic. The vehicle coming down the slip road is travelling at a speed at lot lower than ours, but will continue onto the motorway as if they have right of way causing us to braked heavily at times.

There are Youtube clips showing idiots doing this and the HGV driver has not been able to see them and did not think that anyone could be so stupid to cut in front of an HGV and only realise there is a car trapped in front of the HGV and being pushed sideways when flashed by other drivers.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The problem is that other idiots instead of slowing down to allow the vehicle on the motorway to pass, they will accelerate and squeeze past it. We have been on the motorway with a incoming slip road and cannot move over into the middle lane due to traffic. The vehicle coming down the slip road is travelling at a speed at lot lower than ours, but will continue onto the motorway as if they have right of way causing us to braked heavily at times.

There are Youtube clips showing idiots doing this and the HGV driver has not been able to see them and did not think that anyone could be so stupid to cut in front of an HGV and only realise there is a car trapped in front of the HGV and being pushed sideways when flashed by other drivers.
I use junctions 12, 13 and 14 on the M1 a lot, and if people would accelerate a lot more on the slip roads to join the motorway rather than slow down there would be less problems.
A lot of people, also panic as the slip road comes to the end and will try and "push" onto the motorway, if they would carry onto the Hard shoulder for maybe another 100 meters, and then join, there would be less problems.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
I use junctions 12, 13 and 14 on the M1 a lot, and if people would accelerate a lot more on the slip roads to join the motorway rather than slow down there would be less problems.
A lot of people, also panic as the slip road comes to the end and will try and "push" onto the motorway, if they would carry onto the Hard shoulder for maybe another 100 meters, and then join, there would be less problems.
I refer back to my post, sometimes the slip roads are not long enough to reach motorway speeds I got on at J22 M5 south earlier today, after the long sweeping bend approaching the motorway I managed to get to just under 55 mph foot flat to the floor, there was no more speed in the tank, just one of those junctions that you watch the traffic to see what’s best at the time.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I refer back to my post, sometimes the slip roads are not long enough to reach motorway speeds I got on at J22 M5 south earlier today, after the long sweeping bend approaching the motorway I managed to get to just under 55 mph foot flat to the floor, there was no more speed in the tank, just one of those junctions that you watch the traffic to see what’s best at the time.
Better not try joining a French autoroute then as they can be incredibly short.

Reactions: Hutch

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
People who are irritated by Learner drivers. Yesterday, we were behind one who was stopped at traffic lights. They struggled a bit to get started when the lights changed. Almost all the cars behind me started blaring their horns (I hope the L driver didn't think it was me).
We were all beginners once.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Why speed up when you can slow down and filter in when the opportunity arises?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts