What crisis🤔

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Look at the BBC News web site, click on the (present) headline about UK deaths doubling in 24 hrs, and then scroll down that item and you will eventually come to a picture taken from Twitter of an aisle at Tesco Colney Hatch early this morning. Its unbelievable!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The crisis or madness continues. Toilet rolls at a Tesco Hereford and Cirencester are just bare shelves. Cricklade mini Tesco gave me a 16 roll bag yesterday so I am laughing🤪
According to the medics the Covid 19 does not give you the trots👍. So why on Earth are the bog rolls being panic bought😥 My old office in London by Canon StreetStation
last week reported the theft of 147 toilet rolls from the facilities. How sad is that!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Ah, I love corned beef, and FrayBentos "Snake and Pigmy" puddings. Real food. Living like a Single man again. . Not a chance.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My local pub has plenty of hand wash and Bog rolls, but the landlord checks out the people leaving with big pockets buldging.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
What the Supermarkets ought to do, is double the prices for each pack,

i.e £2 for the first one then £4 second, £8 third, £16 for the forth, and so on. You double the price of the last pack. They'd wet themselves when they got to the tenth pack.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Got to Lidl’s today at opening time. Rushed to pick up a basket and then hot footed it down the store. What a relief no one was panic buying the Li-On cordless screwdriver set. Then moved on to Esso station where I filled up two cans of fuel for the mower. Only to be asked by lady on adjacent pump if petrol was going to be in short supply. I told her the world was awash with stuff and prices will come down.

I was tempted to say “Assuming of course the tanker drivers stay healthy. 🤐”

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Do you think there is a bit of profiteering here????
Supermarkets put out a half hearted appeal asking people not to panic buy. Surely they could control this at thire tills, limit the idiots too X number of this and that. Thire turn over must be sky high at the moment. :mad:

May 24, 2014
Visit site
My daughter asked us to take her to Costco today. Arranged to meet them there. They rang us just as we were about to set off saying it was manic, had taken them ages to get of the dual carriageway into the car park, and once there people were actually coming to blows over parking spaces. They didnt bother and turned back. Intending to try again tomorrow. As for ourselves, locally not a Sainsbury delivery slot available to book, but managed to get a collection early doors tomorrow. Be interesting to see what we actually get in our order as I very much doubt it will be anywhere near complete.

This really is utter madness and so unnecessary. At least if the toilet rolls supply dries up, the tabloids will come in really usefull. At lease we know the caravanners secret. Caravan shops sell the stuff.

Last edited:
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Ah, I love corned beef, and FrayBentos "Snake and Pigmy" puddings.
You traitor. Off with his head. ;)

Never mind the "snouts and ears", (Fray Bentos), if this keeps up we will be back on Biscuits: Brown and the multi coloured thunderbox shatterer!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I didn’t know whether to feel sorry or annoyed at MattHancocks performance on tv yesterday. I really don’t know what planet he lives on if he think motor car manufacturers can convert production lines to make ventilators. He clearly hasn’t seen a modern car production line. If he’s trying to evoke the spirit of 1939 then as far as I’m concerned he made a fool of himself.

Making ventilators for use by NHS requires a specification. You can’t just go out and copy an exiting manufacturers unit. There are IPR, Product safety, EMC compatibility specs etc. Given all of those then there will be the design, supply chain and production issues to sort out. It can be done of that there’s no doubt. But what is required are companies that have agile and flexible organisations used to responding to production runs that are variable. If we currently have 5000 ventilators no one has said how many more are required. But let’s just say another 5000. Not too difficult for a designer, manufacturer and farmer.

On that basis I’m just going to finish vacuuming the lounge whilst my wife dries her hair, then ring up my stockbroker and buy shares before they rocket. Names on a postcard please.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Tesco Cirencester 6.00am today was virtually empty of people . Shelves fully stocked. I was allowed 40 bog rolls, as much soap and hand wash as I wanted,took four of each.
The lesson is simple. Go early buy what you need with no problem? UHT milk was missing. The weekenders are going for the long haul. Just a shame people panic buy

May 24, 2014
Visit site
As we were looking to change our plans, we found that even the motorhomers have been panic buying, and the club is all out of Fridays and Saturdays.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As we were looking to change our plans, we found that even the motorhomers have been panic buying, and the club is all out of Fridays and Saturdays.

That’s very much a problem with the CMHC advance booking system with zero deposit. I really don’t like it and only retain my membership fir CL insurance and breakdown services. Although given some notice we do still use main sites if we can get the dates. Of course the Ne w Forest is near some large urban areas where it’s dead easy to get away at weekend with a short drive.
Hope that you find a good spot.

Reactions: Thingy
B

Beachball2

We use to get Toilet Rolls & Kitchen towel from Tesco & Asda
Then one day I tried Bargain Madness , Home Bargains
For 9 Toilet rolls £1.99
Kitchen Roll £2.99
Our two dogs have Mince/ Biscuits delivered from the Boarding kennels they use ...

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Today, we have done Sainsburys (collection), Aldi, Home Bargains (loo roll) Tesco, and last but certainly not least Costco. with Sainsburys, we got 95% of the stuff we ordered, another 3% in substitutions and all we missed out on was Pasta, Chicken Soup and Mushroom soup, tins that is. We got loo roll but not the quantity we wanted, hence home bargains. Aldi for UHT milk and to try to get some pasta.

Costco was a whole new level of madness. We were shopping for my parents too. We grabbed the last two trays of minced beef, two of the last four chopped steak, two of the last three trays of chicken fillets. There was no rice, no pasta, no loo rolls, no UHT milk and many of the spaces in the food section had been filled up with smellies, deodourant and the like. Half the store was full of Easter Eggs. Washing powder, only one brand and that was down to a half pallet. The bakery section was all but empty. The queue for the tills took around an hour and even then they tried to take away one box of wash powder. We won that one. We also queued for around 50 minutes to get a parking space. Most other stuff seemed to be plentiful, but the evidence of panic buying was there for all to see.
Although we visited five different stores, we havent bought anything that we wouldnt normally, and nothing in any greater quantitiy than normal, it just took that much effort to get our normal shpping.

I sit here now knackered and not in the best of moods. She promised me a pint or two ealier and I am now informed that madam doesnt feel like going out.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I feel sorry for you. Our frezzer goes from 1/2 to full always. But Down to 1/2 stock on wine and beer. The gung ho attitude is great but the vulnerable, are at risk. Really old folk on their own who do not understand whats going on. How are they going too know.
Very concerneď.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Its alright telling the elderly to isolate and that for maybe 4 months, but a concerted effort must be made to look after the frail and old. If Hutch has stocks of beer, ill volunteer to watch out for him.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Its alright telling the elderly to isolate and that for maybe 4 months, but a concerted effort must be made to look after the frail and old. If Hutch has stocks of beer, ill volunteer to watch out for him.
Ran out of ouzo tonight. ****** thank foodness lidl dont have paint in stock.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
A mate of mine went to Aldi today.
He panic bought a drill set, some garden trellis and a wetsuit 😊

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve had a Eureka moment. All of these redundant aircraft have oxygen bottles and face masks. They could strategically locate aircraft at a runway near you for use as a non optimum ventilator. Unlike normal cattle class economy you could seat people with empty seats between them. For a small donation you could be allocated a Club class seat.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Decided to take HMG advice and have groceries delivered (from Sainsbury’s in my case) so as I’m already registered it was a case of just browsing the site. Great. No delivery or click collect slots right through until the end of the booking period 6 April. So we will probably be using our local farm shop.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts