What crisis🤔

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our 14 year old granddaughter has arrived home as her school has closed due to two members of staff having suspected virus. How long the school will stay closed is uncertain at the moment. Her mum (single parent) who is doing a mental health nursing degree and works in the community is being redeployed to support more mainstream medical care. A friend has just been discharged from hospital after three weeks following a major bowel cancer surgery. He can’t get any response from his local health center to change his dressings Things seem to be picking up apace and this is just the start.

PS Guess who does the child care support. She will have to bring her own fodder. 👍

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
What amuses me is the 70 year old's isolation so a 69 and three quarters is OK to go out doors I'm a fit 72year old Id

We have a similar issue. We look after junior junior wed and thurs and junior senior on Fri and Sat every week. Its hard work at our age a two and a five year old. If they close the schools and nurseries, either their parents will have to stop work or we will have to do it.

And who is going to get food to those in isolation when there are very few delivery slots available. Will they waive the delivery charges for those less fortunate than us and will there be food for them. We have been to countless supermarkets today to try to make sure the kids have enough and its like a war zone here, there is nowt of any use on the shelves. Full of easter eggs, surely transport should be prioritised for staple foods.

We live in a small cul-de-sac with quite a few elderly and single people. We have checked on them all today to make sure they have enough and all of them are struggling to get the basics. Many arent computer savvy either and online shopping, a way of life for us, is terrifying for them.

We would do a shopping run for them but as what few items available are limited per customer, we cant even help them like that.

Yes it’s the same where we live. No Sainsbury’s delivery slots at all on their forward calendar. People in our close are mainly retired but fortunately still mobile and are looking out for each other. Our local small shops still have groceries as of three farm stores nearby. So we are able buy what’s required without drawing on our “4 minute warning stockpile “

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Regarding deliveries to RDC's which when unloaded and put in to stock will end up delivered to a supermarket, but there is a problem lorry drivers once again are being refused the use of toilet facilities at RDC's this is an old problem for drivers but this Corona virus brought in the open once again, the H&S have got involved because it is against the law to refuse a delivery driver the use of facilities also Unite the union, drivers have had enough of being treated this way hopefully this time it will be sorted out, or else!

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have signed up for foodbox delivery from 5daybox. It arrived this morning or we could have collected. Good selection including fresh meat and dairy. Price comparable to Sainsbury without the hassle of setting an alarm. 🤭

So the 4 minute Cold War cupboard stays intact a while longer

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
What amuses me is the 70 year old's isolation so a 69 and three quarters is OK to go out doors I'm a fit 72year old Id

We have a similar issue. We look after junior junior wed and thurs and junior senior on Fri and Sat every week. Its hard work at our age a two and a five year old. If they close the schools and nurseries, either their parents will have to stop work or we will have to do it.

And who is going to get food to those in isolation when there are very few delivery slots available. Will they waive the delivery charges for those less fortunate than us and will there be food for them. We have been to countless supermarkets today to try to make sure the kids have enough and its like a war zone here, there is nowt of any use on the shelves. Full of easter eggs, surely transport should be prioritised for staple foods.

We live in a small cul-de-sac with quite a few elderly and single people. We have checked on them all today to make sure they have enough and all of them are struggling to get the basics. Many arent computer savvy either and online shopping, a way of life for us, is terrifying for them.

We would do a shopping run for them but as what few items available are limited per customer, we cant even help them like that.

Yes it’s the same where we live. No Sainsbury’s delivery slots at all on their forward calendar. People in our close are mainly retired but fortunately still mobile and are looking out for each other. Our local small shops still have groceries as of three farm stores nearby. So we are able buy what’s required without drawing on our “4 minute warning stockpile “
We are same , five shops and still could not get want we wanted to stay in twelve weeks. Reckon we might last three weeks with what we have. Listening to people behind me in the que saying its like being in the war, turning round to glance at them they seemed about forty something. In the forties I use to go shopping for my mum and some times for neighbours and cannot remember frustration in getting it. What I do remember when oranges were available down the high street my mum gave me the green ration book where you could go to front of que, cannot remember what he said but I did get four.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We are same , five shops and still could not get want we wanted to stay in twelve weeks. Reckon we might last three weeks with what we have. Listening to people behind me in the que saying its like being in the war, turning round to glance at them they seemed about forty something. In the forties I use to go shopping for my mum and some times for neighbours and cannot remember frustration in getting it. What I do remember when oranges were available down the high street my mum gave me the green ration book where you could go to front of que, cannot remember what he said but I did get four.
Think that’s the difference rationing limited what people could obtain. If my mum wanted a ham then that came via the black market. 😱

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My wife visited Sainsbury’s for the early shift and said people seemed to be being sensible and abiding by the guidance to limit purchaseS. Even the nicely made up lady behind her had only bought two Malbec, two Rioja, two etc etc. But the trolley was full. 🤗Someone’s going to enjoy her next 12 weeks.

Reactions: Hutch
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Another couple who share babysitting duties for our grandchildren with our daughters mother in law. They did attend nursery three days a week but from next week the nursery will be closed and instead of one day we are needed up to five which would be a strain for us and against the governments recommendations. Our daughter works shifts so probably we will be needed less than five days but with three year old twins and a nine year old son they are hard work.
They are making redundancies and anyone who cannot maintain their work commitments is in danger of losing their job, or might have to take unpaid leave. They only moved into a new house last year so need the money.
Whatever the government advice we have little choice but to help out. Having said that as they will be at home I am not clear what the extra threat is.
There is a part of me that says It might be better to get it now and be over with it rather than sit here for weeks wondering. As my daughter says if you get it now and need medical attention it might be better to get it now when the hospitals are prepared but not full than later.
Going to get a hair cut also, it is simply not on to leave it 12 weeks. I am afraid a few calculated risks are needed but we must not be stupid.
Going to move the caravan later to make sure the tyres are not going to develop flat spots. At least I can get in and out the storage without touching anything.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Another couple who share babysitting duties for our grandchildren with our daughters mother in law. They did attend nursery three days a week but from next week the nursery will be closed and instead of one day we are needed up to five which would be a strain for us and against the governments recommendations. Our daughter works shifts so probably we will be needed less than five days but with three year old twins and a nine year old son they are hard work.
They are making redundancies and anyone who cannot maintain their work commitments is in danger of losing their job, or might have to take unpaid leave. They only moved into a new house last year so need the money.
Whatever the government advice we have little choice but to help out. Having said that as they will be at home I am not clear what the extra threat is.
There is a part of me that says It might be better to get it now and be over with it rather than sit here for weeks wondering. As my daughter says if you get it now and need medical attention it might be better to get it now when the hospitals are prepared but not full than later.
Going to get a hair cut also, it is simply not on to leave it 12 weeks. I am afraid a few calculated risks are needed but we must not be stupid.
Going to move the caravan later to make sure the tyres are not going to develop flat spots. At least I can get in and out the storage without touching anything.
I agree with your view as well as responsibility to ourselves our families also will face difficulties. So a degree of pragmatism and following guidance is required. Like you I went fir a haircut and popped into BQ for some emulsion so that I can split between garden and house.

There were times less people in BQ than when my wife went down to Sainsbury’s for the Pensioners slot this morning. Buying fodder can be a high risk activity 🤞

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
WE were at Sainsburys at 7.05 this morning as it opened at 7.00. A lot of the shelves were empty and everything was restricted to 2 of each items. One man was causing problems at the check out, he just wanted to push in front of the queue to pay. He finally got the message when they threatened to call security. What I can't understand is how can the shelves be empty 5 minutes after opening.

Les

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
WE were at Sainsburys at 7.05 this morning as it opened at 7.00. A lot of the shelves were empty and everything was restricted to 2 of each items. One man was causing problems at the check out, he just wanted to push in front of the queue to pay. He finally got the message when they threatened to call security. What I can't understand is how can the shelves be empty 5 minutes after opening.

Les
The supermarkets are laughing they have created this situation, keep stock low and they will come and buy owt. the situation could be turned round in a night re sto k with extra transport and staff and when they re-open put limits on the items that are flying out the door,

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
The supermarkets are laughing they have created this situation, keep stock low and they will come and buy owt. the situation could be turned round in a night re sto k with extra transport and staff and when they re-open put limits on the items that are flying out the door,
After the horse has bolted situation, it is nonsense to say there is no problem.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With hindsight, the supermarkets should have limited what amount of items people were buying from day one of the problem, but greed gave them the opportunity to offload all old stock very quickly.
I guess the upside is that at least what is getting to the shops now is fresh !!!

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have our own business, supplying hair and beauty salons,while we have had a busy week it is because we have hand sanitiser, masks and disinfectants in stock, as most of our customers are established regulars we have kept the prices the same as usual,and most have been sensible in the quantities they have ordered, our suppliers have managed to keep us supplied, and stronger hand sanitiser is available from April 1, apparently it is needed as people become complacent the longer this goes on.Not sure what will happen when people stop going to the hairdressers, but in the meantime we carry on 1 day at a time.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Our local Italian restaurant ( Nonnas), or at least , one of them, we have 3, have mentioned on a website, that they will supply anyone within 5 miles, with Dried pasta, tinned tomatoes, cleaning products and toilet rolls. As their supplier has plenty of stock. Three of the pubs will supply a takeaway, meals, and if they don't know you you have to supply your own plates.

Woburn Sands, Rural Milton Keynes.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our local Italian restaurant ( Nonnas), or at least , one of them, we have 3, have mentioned on a website, that they will supply anyone within 5 miles, with Dried pasta, tinned tomatoes, cleaning products and toilet rolls. As their supplier has plenty of stock. Three of the pubs will supply a takeaway, meals, and if they don't know you you have to supply your own plates.

Woburn Sands, Rural Milton Keynes.

Is that because strangers might nick the pubs own plates, or that strangers carry more bugs than regulars.???

Notwithstanding both the pubs and restaurant deserve continued business even if it’s not totally aligned with their norm.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Just called in to Sainsburys for a few tinnies for the weekend and parked outside sainsburys was a local businessman KM interiors. their van was full of toilet rolls, I think it was Jon who gave every elderly person fout toilet rolls well done Jon very generous deed,

Reactions: DaveA1
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just called in to Sainsburys for a few tinnies for the weekend and parked outside sainsburys was a local businessman KM interiors. their van was full of toilet rolls, I think it was Jon who gave every elderly person fout toilet rolls well done Jon very generous deed,

Unlike the lady at Aldi who had the gall to put 80 tins of tomatoes in the trolley. Surprised she even made it to the checkout. But all credit to the Manager. He relieved her of 76 tins despite her rage. 👍

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I haven't said there is not a problem, I have said if the supermarkets wanted to they could put the distribution to their supermarkets right inside 48 hours and have restrictions on buying products,
Hi Camel, sorry I did not mean your comments but the politicians saying it. Had a email from CEO of Co-Op again saying no [problem . Went this morning for loaf of bread , empty!. Another thing I noticed was that people seem to be ignoring spacing when in ques

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Camel, sorry I did not mean your comments but the politicians saying it. Had a email from CEO of Co-Op again saying no [problem . Went this morning for loaf of bread , empty!. Another thing I noticed was that people seem to be ignoring spacing when in ques
Don’t you just love the great British public. Boris has more faith in them than I do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts