what is acceptable to put by your holiday home

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Just what is accepted or found to be unacceptable to park next to your caravan or motorhome?

I've been told to turn round an aerofoil used on my car to tow the caravan, which I put up against the steady legs at the rear of my van to hide stuff hiden under the van. It had about 20 holiday stickers on it. Then I couldn't keep a small sailing dinghy by the van, which I understood and actually store it off site.

But pure commercial vans (unsign written) with a tail lift platform seem to be ok.

The one that realy make a mockery are the motorhomes which tow cars on trailers. I understand (sort of)the need to drive a 30ft motor home and then tow a car behind it. After all you wouldn't take your caravan to the local takeaway. But what I frequently see is a motorhome towing a smart car on a big 4 wheel car transporter. Who then thinks it's acceptable to park both car and transporter (now vacated and not needed) on the pitch. Normally I wouldn't mind but one I see looks more like it would be used for a grass track car or off road 4X4.

We used to see one lot park a car and motorbike on their pitch, despite there being a 1 vehicle rule.

Now don't get me wrong, I think everyone is entitled to have a good time on holiday. But why should other holiday makers have to look at items that serve no purpose as a leisure item. Sure there are people who use vans for personal use and they have them well looked after and they don't look road weary, also people choose to use double cab pickups to serve dual purpose use. These people keep their vehicles clean, tidy and well presented as often they are sole traders running a small business.

Finally would you decline a presentable home converted camper van?

I'm not looking to segregate anyone, but simply see just what people think is acceptable or not, to be parked on the pitch or left in the car park.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I've only once been bugged and that was by a large motorhome that couldn't fit on a pitch at Dunvegan Isle of Skye. He completely obscured our view. The site owner put him there so we couldn't complain. In fairness it was more of an irritation than a nuisance. Afterall we were out most of the time.It's strange how very minor things can cause people to get upset on holiday
smiley-wink.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
To come to the point Steve, if I wasn't happy I'd move sites.
I think you need to change your signature of 'fulltime caravanner and loving every day' because from the owners attitude you clearly aren't
smiley-frown.gif

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote "But why should other holiday makers have to look at items that serve no purpose as a leisure item"
Simple ,,dont look at them,,,get on with your own life and holiday.

What may not appear to be leisure items to you may be what is needed to allow them to enjoy their holiday.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Quote "But why should other holiday makers have to look at items that serve no purpose as a leisure item"
Simple ,,dont look at them,,,get on with your own life and holiday.

What may not appear to be leisure items to you may be what is needed to allow them to enjoy their holiday.

I would if it was convienient LB. We have to put up with weekenders to enjoy 5 out of 7 days.

Damien. you seem to miss the point.

A smart car is probably light enough to put on a platform across the back of a double wheel motorhome, also most motorhomers use A frames to tow their town cars which stow in a locker. What we have seen is a 14ft double axle car transporter with permanently attatched ramps which was way OTT for a tiny car.

Motorhomes are fine in their context even the american ones look good as the manufacturer does a good job of making a huge van body look holidayish.

What I'm looking at is the items that don't contribute to the enjoyment of the pitch.

Example being my sailing dinghy. While it's a leisure product, I wouldn't expect to store it at the caravan and would accept parking it overnight or longer in the carpark. But might park it outside the caravan to prepare it for use.

I never take my sign written van onto site even if it's just to pick SWIMBO up. I always get her to walk down to the entrance.

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
If equiment or vehicles are fairly clean and well cared and not very noisy they can park a Shell fuel tanker as far as we're concerned.
We first carravanned with our relatives in western France in 2009 before we got our own caravan. We were sited next to a section with six or seven Pommy caravans and tents. The family group had a giant table and tent for twenty or more people and a van with windsurfing and water sports equipment, plus large Audi towing a power boat and two expensive Italian sports cars that made the most amazing noise when coming and going. They were quietest people on the site and everything was kept neat and tidy.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not really bothered what is next to us or near us, unless the people or dogs are nuisances. That would spoil my holiday.
smiley-cool.gif

Lisa

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I most certainly have not "missed the point" at all.
What gives you the right to decide what is acceptable for other people to use?
What gives you the right to make comment about other peoples outfits?
What, exactly, do you "consider" essential to enjoyment of the pitch?
Life is too short to worry about what others are doing, using, have or have not.
As long as whatever they have or do does not stop me doing what I want to do, its their business and that of the site owner or warden.
I have what I have and I really dont give a flying monkeys what anyone else thinks of it, it suits ME.

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Placed next to a lovely new caravan and annexe with a near new Jaguar tow car with a lovely friendly couple who guided us on to our plot as we reversed we thought we were in clover.
Lovely lady was deaf and her husband spent nearly every minute of the day and evening whistling shrilly out of tune and at times he burst in to song. He also couldn't sing in tune. After two days we just had to move on. Nice couple, not a nice sound to live with all day long. Parked next to an old converted ambulance and home fettled camping trailer was far nicer.
Sorry if you out there mate
smiley-embarassed.gif

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Alan, I have a 2008 Hobby 540UL with a Kia Sedona, a Great Dane, Saluki/whippet lurcher, Boston Terrier and a now 6 month old Lurcher (Mum is one of the curly coated grey lurchers and dad is a Border Collie)
I get up at about 6.30 to walk the dogs wherever we are and they always go everywhere with me.
I DO pick up after them and try not to let them annoy others, human or animal, however, if you are a Rabbit, your days are numbered.

I also tend to use windbreaks, not to be anti social, but to stop the dogs getting too much attention and running off without me before I have got their leads on.
The dogs are all people friendly as long as I am asked FIRST,,,,,,,,if not and I have not told them to stay calm, they will protect me.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Victor Meldrew..............................................................................
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif
.....................I don`t believe it!..........lol

Serious now, the ones that fence themselves in with miles of windbreakers, look awful, but each to there own.

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks D, I was afraid to reply to the basic ?, On the Sandringham CC Site we had Volvo tractor unit towing a "5th wheel" unit, i didn't mind the outfit but when he started it up at 7am that was too much!!, being interested in heavy I had a chat to him he was a CC relief warden, so look out.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm still waiting to see the pics or video of Steve's BT box thing, whatever it was. Do you keep that on the site too? I think I might object to that monstrosity actually.
smiley-cry.gif

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Hi Alan, I have a 2008 Hobby 540UL with a Kia Sedona, a Great Dane, Saluki/whippet lurcher, Boston Terrier and a now 6 month old Lurcher (Mum is one of the curly coated grey lurchers and dad is a Border Collie)
I get up at about 6.30 to walk the dogs wherever we are and they always go everywhere with me.
I DO pick up after them and try not to let them annoy others, human or animal, however, if you are a Rabbit, your days are numbered.

I also tend to use windbreaks, not to be anti social, but to stop the dogs getting too much attention and running off without me before I have got their leads on.
The dogs are all people friendly as long as I am asked FIRST,,,,,,,,if not and I have not told them to stay calm, they will protect me.

No offence intended Damian but if arriving on a site the warden told me to pitch up next to the hobby van with 4 dogs surrounded by windbreaks, I would be off looking for a another site PDQ just the same as if it was a van with 6 kids and 2 pup tents alongside.

appearances can and are often diseptive but why chance it we go away for peace and quiet each to there own I suppose.,

it is supprising though what gives some campers the humph?? a warden once told me to stop hanging the wet fishing nets outside the van as someone had complained it made the van look like a fishing hut. I told him if he got the other vans to remove all the flags fairylights and wind breaks I would stop hanging the nets out he never said anything else so the nets stayed,
turns out is was the van across from us that complained, yep the 7mtr one surrouned by windbreaks with fairylights on the awning and the flags and the hanging baskets and the two dog kennels one either side of the a frame, "bl**dy cheek"

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
I most certainly have not "missed the point" at all.
What gives you the right to decide what is acceptable for other people to use?
What gives you the right to make comment about other peoples outfits?
What, exactly, do you "consider" essential to enjoyment of the pitch?
Life is too short to worry about what others are doing, using, have or have not.
As long as whatever they have or do does not stop me doing what I want to do, its their business and that of the site owner or warden.
I have what I have and I really dont give a flying monkeys what anyone else thinks of it, it suits ME.

With an attitude like above, it's not suprising anyone would want to set up camp by a Hobby with several dogs coralled in by wind breakers :)

I didn't start this thread to be lectured by any self appointed beurocrat. I simply and politely asked what other fellow tourist's think is acceptable.

First off if your hobby has a rightand entrance door you wouldn't be allowed on the site where I am. (warden comment)

I pitch so tidy that no one can tell that we fulltime. In fact when our wardens took over from the last 2 they took 8 weeks to figure out that we have a 40Kg chocolate labrodor. I've even been asked if he has a medical issue because he doesn't bark! Oh like you I pick up the poo too!

I think Colin has the right take on things. That is until the next example decides to park alongside.

I would post the pics lisa but someone has buggered my account at haymarket towers and I'm still chugging along on disabled text.

BTW, I haven't even stopped at the end of the drive with my BT box trailer. I've parked it in my mum's orchardnow. Got loads of pics to post and I could make a training sheet on how to winch your van safely too. I had to use my 6'000 Lb electric winch on the back of the car to winch the hulk into storage. It kept sinking to the rims on the lawn and that was before any rain.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Steve said "
First off if your hobby has a rightand entrance door you wouldn't be allowed on the site where I am. (warden comment)

Now that is odd. So all the Adrias, Hymers, Dethleffs etc because they have the door on the offside are excluded from your site!
smiley-frown.gif

I can see a potential conflict with the awning entrances falling over one another but we are in the 21st Century and supposed to be EU friendly, LMAO
smiley-laughing.gif
The seasonals at Carnon Downs even come with their own mini plastic shed things and a picnic table. I think your warden may just be slightly too prejudiced Steve????
smiley-cool.gif

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Steve said "

Now that is odd. So all the Adrias, Hymers, Dethleffs etc because they have the door on the offside are excluded from your site!
smiley-frown.gif

I can see a potential conflict with the awning entrances falling over one another but we are in the 21st Century and supposed to be EU friendly, LMAO
smiley-laughing.gif
The seasonals at Carnon Downs even come with their own mini plastic shed things and a picnic table. I think your warden may just be slightly too prejudiced Steve????
smiley-cool.gif

I don't think Steve's wardens would notice which side the door was on Dusty, bearing in mind it took them eight weeks to figure out Steve had a 40kg chocolate labrador.
smiley-cool.gif

Lisa

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote "bearing in mind it took them eight weeks to figure out Steve had a 40kg chocolate labrador.
smiley-cool.gif
"

Shouldnt that be a 40kg chocolate security trained labrador,,,,,,,not just your ordinary one
smiley-wink.gif

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
LMAO Alan, dont worry, it wont be the first time I have been in the mire for one reason or another.
Its Lisa, she brings out the worst in me
smiley-tongue-out.gif

You would be more than welcome to park next to me, I make a wicked cup of tea which you are more than welcome to have.
Colin, I cannot take offence at your posting, hard as I may try, but I dont know which you would object to most, a sparkling clean Hobby or the dogs.
As for kids,,,,omg,,,,,I would be moving too, I mean, the dogs love children, but can only eat one a day, lightly fried of course.
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif

I just thought, Colin, would it be the Kia?
smiley-laughing.gif
It wouldnt be the windbreaks as we only use them if staying one night, other than that it is a very nice porch awning or full size awning(honest)

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
LOL Damian!

Everyone can fall out with me because I associate with Gypsies and Travellers.
smiley-surprised.gif
Been in more Hobbies than I care remember.
smiley-cool.gif

This year, I'm getting an inside view of life on the road. Bowtops and all that. I'll get me coat.
smiley-embarassed.gif

Lisa xxx

TRENDING THREADS