What to buy?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
I suggest you follow those up In particular Woodland Camper has suggested you refer to your V5c registration document, which for cars purchased since about 2000 now include a wealth of model specific information, and what would be deemed is correct for your specific vehicle.

Your V5c should include the following information under section 4 Vehicle details:
O.1 Braked (kg) 1600
O.2 Unbraked (kg) 750

To put this into your context using the data plate and V5c information
Car + caravan must not exceed 3700kg AND car must not exceed 2100kg AND caravan must not exceed 1600kg - all these conditions must be applied mutually

As Colin has pointed out the data provided on the car set out by the EU regulations, and it doesn't include a dedicated maximum braked trailer weight limit as a separate line, because the data provided is needed in its raw form and used in several different calculations for different purposes. As with most laws and regulations, you have to know how to use the data, and that is something that you clearly did not understand as ignorance is not a lawful excuse.

Hi,

I did follow up on all suggestions, and posted exactly what both the plate and V5 say. I've checked again on the V5 and the max braked & unbraked are blank. I understood 750KG unbraked to be a UK law for all vehicles (although I don't profess to know which law so am not prepared to bet anything on it)!

I've still found no evidence to support the max braked trailer weight of 1600kg (other than by inference), but will dig out the handbook at some point.

In any event, the decision has been made; put a deposit down on a lovely condition 2005 Bailey Pageant series 5 today and am very pleased with the decision. Thanks to all who have provided input; whilst I may come across as intransigent that doesn't mean I'm not reading and digesting what is being said!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jules_ht said:
I understood 750KG unbraked to be a UK law for all vehicles (although I don't profess to know which law so am not prepared to bet anything on it)!

I've still found no evidence to support the max braked trailer weight of 1600kg (other than by inference), but will dig out the handbook at some point.

Hello again Jules,
You have not got the whole picture regarding the 750kg unbraked limit. EU regulations say that the maximum weight an unbraked trailer can be is 750kg. technically its not law for tow vehicles except that you can't legally get an unbraked trailer of more than 750kg. Some models of car specify an unbraked limit of less than 750kg .

If you cannot find any other authorised verified braked trailer limit for the Saab, then it is safe to use t GTW -GVW calculation, after all that is exactly what the two values on the weight plate define.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi Jules,
glad your sorted with a van that meets your needs and conforms to well within the limits, nice choice I had a series 5 but the ranger model, good van.
on the legal front I dont think anyone would consider your approach intransigent rather than one of misunderstanding the criteria attached the very complex issues of legislation that have been raised,
the trouble is while one always has to be on the right side of the law sometimes the law can be quite obscure in content it is not always clear cut, as one bit of legislation can seem to contradict another bit of legislation leaving a grey area in between, in these cases it is prudent to follow the line of caution,
if one cannot find evidence to cover one aspect, of the law one just has to refer to what can be verified. and use that. it does not help either when the goal posts keep being moved.
if your not sure of anything just ask, this may mean you get an overload of information but that is far better than having no information and having to guess and being wrong.
the most important aspect when dealing with weights is always use the lowest figure and treat this as a maximum, it may be inconvienient some times but it what keeps caravanners safe and within the law.
something you will come to understand in time.

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Don't want to jinx it with a link to the actual van until I have it on the back of the car, but once I've got it (Saturday is the plan), I will.

Already looking for a site up in the Stevenage direction (West of Stevenage rather than East) for the Sat night, any recommendations welcome!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You could try a search on the site finder at the bottom of the page. I know both clubs have sites in the area but have only visited the one at Welwyn garden city which looks a bit out of the way for you but it is a good site.

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
It wouldn't be out of the way at all- have to go past there to Stevenage to get the van, and what we want is a site near to where we collect (to keep the driving down for the little one) but on the way home (to the South West).

In the event I've used that very useful finder (thanks for that) to search. I suspect the site you suggest is full as it's not showing in the search for the dates I need, but I've found & booked a decent enough looking site in Hurley (which is near enough so it won't take hours to get there, but far enough to give the van a good shakedown). £30 for 2 nights incl. electric- bargain.

Insurance sorted yesterday (£81 for the year, I can deal with that), storage sorted this morning (20 mins from my house on a dedicated locked compound, £360 a year; lovely).

Now to start working out the Sky TV install :whistle: ....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts