Wheel Nut Tightness Indicators

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
Does anybody know where I can buy these indicators. My problem is that my caravan is a Swift with alloy wheels and the wheel nuts are recessed. The normal type of plastic indicators I have seen are not suitable as they will not fit on the nuts because of the recess. At present have put dabs of paint on the nuts that line up with next so that can see if they have moved.

Incidently have been told by caravan breakdown and insurance assessors that the caravan alloy wheels are notorious for working loose, especially the nearside wheel.

Regards Graham

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi Graham

I got mine from a truck stop on the M1,mine are supposed to be for an Iveco 3 ton van but fit the caravan perfectly,Now for the life of me i cant remember the name of said truck stop,but im sure the other truckers that use the forum will be able to help.Its the bottom end of M1 around Luton.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
That must be the bunker station at Friars Wash M1 Jct 9 on A5 north towards Dunstable.

Steve W
Hi, if you cant get the indicators put a small mark on the wheel with white paint and a small mark on the nut at the same point then you can keep an eye on them. if out of line they need tightening. otherwise check them before each outing to be on the safe side

Trev

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm probably going to get a name for harking on about this but get your wheels balanced and correctly tightened, you can then forget about the nuts coming loose and a host of other vibration related issues.

Many cars have got alloys, they've certainly all got two wheels on the nearside, I wonder how often those nuts get checked? do those wheels fall off? (offside wheel nuts BTW should never come loose)

Never check mine nor the van albeit their steel, in 40yrs I've not had a nut come loose let alone a wheel...but anything that spins should be balanced or your asking for all sorts of trouble!!

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
Why dont you just put a spot of paint on the nut and one on the wheel, opposite each other, if nut starts to undo ,the distance between the spots of paint will have increased

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
I'm probably going to get a name for harking on about this but get your wheels balanced and correctly tightened, you can then forget about the nuts coming loose and a host of other vibration related issues.

Many cars have got alloys, they've certainly all got two wheels on the nearside, I wonder how often those nuts get checked? do those wheels fall off? (offside wheel nuts BTW should never come loose)

Never check mine nor the van albeit their steel, in 40yrs I've not had a nut come loose let alone a wheel...but anything that spins should be balanced or your asking for all sorts of trouble!!
Thanks Gary, I've been thinking of getting the wheels balanced and think this could help with the problem.

Thanks all for comments

regards Graham

Oct 28, 2008
Visit site
HI. ONCE YOU HAVE TIGHTENED THEM WITH A TORQUE WRENCH THEY SHOULD NEVER NEED TIGHTENING AGAIN. 40yrs IN TRANSPORT AND NEVER HAD A WHEEL COME OF.

IF YOU HAVE THE WHEEL OFF CLEAN THE STUD HOLE AREAAND THE BOLT.

GOOD LUCK

TONY BEVAN

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I hadn't had a wheel come off in 44 years caravanning until 6 months ago and I have had one come off now and that is one too many

I always check wheel bolts with a torque wrench before every trip

I checked the night before but think that someone must have tampered with the van overnight and as it was the wheel with the Alko clamp they could have been trying to remove it and we had only travelled 12 miles on the newly balanced wheels

I still think that it is worth checking before every trip especially as so many caravans are now fitted with expensive and desirable to thieves alloy wheels

I now have a wheel clamp on both wheels and check just prior to leaving.

The Caravan club in things to do before setting off list wheel bolts as no 2

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts