When to indicate?

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I appreciate this is going back a few posts,

There can be a benefit to the driver who is about to be overtaken. If the signal is made a reasonable time before the manoeuvre is started, the driver in front might see the signal and be prepared just incase the overtake does not go to plan.
I understand the logic of not signalling if no-one benefits - but it's just not possible to guarantee that no-one benefits - and there's no harm in a signal no-one sees.

Reactions: GaryB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I understand the logic of not signalling if no-one benefits - but it's just not possible to guarantee that no-one benefits - and there's no harm in a signal no-one sees.

Surely oncoming traffic would need to be aware of your intentions?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I thought this thread was going to end on one of those Zen statements similar to the one about falling trees, sounds and no one around....

So, if you indicate and there's no one to see it, are your indicators actually working? :)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I thought this thread was going to end on one of those Zen statements similar to the one about falling trees, sounds and no one around....

So, if you indicate and there's no one to see it, are your indicators actually working? :)
That's like asking if the fridge light goes out when you close the door.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Isn’t it simply about discipline and familiarity. If you always indicate even if alone( assuming your conclusion of being alone is correct) what the heck does it matter other than you may be using up a little more power and bulb life🤪. Thus I agree with Roger here.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site

There is absolutely no harm in giving a signal that no one sees, at all.
The point is, I'm talking about an advanced driving technique which enhances observations and overall awareness of everything that is going on around you, at all times.
You may decide at particular moment in time that a signal isn't needed but, if circumstances change and a signal can be of benefit, then one is given. But, this takes constant observation and understanding of the road scene all around you. Whereas, automatically signalling negates the need for constant observation.
There are, on the other hand, times when I will give a signal when nobody else is in sight but, I judge that the situation could change very quickly. For instance, one of my routes involves turning left onto a fast A road on a right-hand bend and I have to turn right into a junction 50 yards along the road. As soon as I turn left I put my right indicator on so that if anything should come around the bend behind me they will see that I intend to turn right.
It's not a big thing, the vast majority of drivers signal automatically for all occasions, without a second thought.
My main pet hate though, is drivers who negotiate roundabouts with a right indicator on which isn't cancelled when they exit. This has completely the opposite effect of giving a signal which is of benefit to other road users.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My main pet hate though, is drivers who negotiate roundabouts with a right indicator on which isn't cancelled when they exit. This has completely the opposite effect of giving a signal which is of benefit to other road users.
In a similar vein, at a traffic island near me the island is an elongated ovoid and it replaced a forked cross road between two major roads and a minor access to a residential area. The island carriageway is dual lane.

Traffic from the major road that wishes to carry straight on often joins the island at one end and signals left, but this is confusing to traffic trying to join from the minor road as it appears the vehicle is signalling to turn left. I have seen several very close calls when minor road traffic begins to emerge becasue of the on island traffics poor signalling. Conversely traffic waiting to emerge from the minor road has to negotiate two lanes of traffic, and quite often a good opportunity is spoilt when traffic on turn into the side road but didn't bother to signal!

Its a lottery!

Reactions: Paullus1959
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Then you have not driven around Swindon's famous round about system? That is enough to confuse anyone!

Reactions: Paullus1959

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts