When we empty the caravan main sink the waste water sometimes comes up in the Shower .

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
No the main sink was attached to the shower
That's the same as mine. the shower outlet is a single outlet.

It appears with mine if my bathroom sink is full when I pull the plug, the water does a uey and travels back up the shower waste, particularly if I set the van very slightly down at the rear, which is how I try to set it. so the shower drains better, when showering. hence the reason I bought the plug,

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The tiny water trap depth of the shower tray will almost inevitably be overwhelmed if sharing a common feed from much higher sink outlets and these handle large flows.
DD's linking of three outlets only improves things by virtue of his use of a vent, as the flows into the waste holding tank.

If using a service pitch note:
Should, that have been unvented as could be the case feeding directly into a service pitch drain hose, the backing issue is likely to return,

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The tiny water trap depth of the shower tray will almost inevitably be overwhelmed if sharing a common feed from much higher sink outlets and these handle large flows.
DD's linking of three outlets only improves things by virtue of his use of a vent, as the flows into the waste holding tank.

If using a service pitch note:
Should, that have been unvented as could be the case feeding directly into a service pitch drain hose, the backing issue is likely to return,

Never seen a caravan with a trap on any of the facilities. Has any van got one, I would think there is insufficient height on the shower and too restrictive on sinks and basins as well as adding to the original price.

But the depth of the tray could well be overwhelmed.

John

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Never seen a caravan with a trap on any of the facilities. Has any van got one, I would think there is insufficient height on the shower and too restrictive on sinks and basins as well as adding to the original price.

John
The sinks have a rudimentary trap as the flexible hose comes through the floor and then rises slightly to meet the solid pipe which is attached to the floor.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site

John

You surprise, seems sloppy practice not to. Surely there will be smells if they don't use traps?
Both our Hymers have them at the shower and all sinks, never thought UK vans would not have this very basic refinement.

Mine appear to be these, integrated into the sink/shower drain. The underside cap screws off for cleaning, all very neatly designed.

They probably are little more than a CM "head", but clearly work.

Edit: Roger points out the use of the flexible to form a trap, but that means many will be in convoluted piping, not ideal for self-cleaning, and probably a difficult task to remove to clean?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
That's the same as mine. the shower outlet is a single outlet.

It appears with mine if my bathroom sink is full when I pull the plug, the water does a uey and travels back up the shower waste, particularly if I set the van very slightly down at the rear, which is how I try to set it. so the shower drains better, when showering. hence the reason I bought the plug,
The shower is now a single outlet (but it was joined to the main sink)
But hoping now it will drain better

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
You surprise, seems sloppy practice not to. Surely there will be smells if they don't use traps?
Both our Hymers have them at the shower and all sinks, never thought UK vans would not have this very basic refinement.

Mine appear to be these, integrated into the sink/shower drain. The underside cap screws off for cleaning, all very neatly designed.

They probably are little more than a CM "head", but clearly work.

Edit: Roger points out the use of the flexible to form a trap, but that means many will be in convoluted piping, not ideal for self-cleaning, and probably a difficult task to remove to clean?

Yours look excellent. I have never seen them before. This link shows them better. It would add £70 plus to a vans initial price. All vans I have owned have been piped directly to the waste.

I don’t think the convoluted pipes form a proper trap. Not in the those I have seen. Just the natural shape formed when it changes direction.

While smells could come into the van. They should never run into open drains. Even on serviced pitches they run into a trapped gully.

John

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
It would add £70 plus to a vans initial price.

They are an alternative to the sink waste fitting, which would be needed if these were not used and of course cost something, so offset the full cost impact of fitting them.

The smells might simply be the putrefaction of the sludge inevitably lining the van's waste system; more an issue in builds using convoluted hose. Much of our Hymers piping is the ridged smooth bore tubing.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
They are an alternative to the sink waste fitting, which would be needed if these were not used and of course cost something, so offset the full cost impact of fitting them.

Good point. I think though that the lack of them is indicative of cost cutting by some, (I think most), manufacturers.

As yours is a Hymer. I wonder if continental manufacturers work to different regulations or just trying to provide a better product.

John

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you do not cure it with one of the suggestions here, you can put a tight fitting plug in the shower plug hole as a short term measure.

Reactions: DaveA1
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have now put a plug in like you suggested just in case (y)
That doesn’t seem logical considering the modification to your drainage arrangements. Even without an arrangement such as yours I never had the problem that you had. Just prior to leaving a site I would run the remaining hot water into the bowl and just pour it down the main sink, and a warm bowlful diwn to bathroom sink. Then I’d drain the hot water tank for travelling.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good point. I think though that the lack of them is indicative of cost cutting by some, (I think most), manufacturers.

As yours is a Hymer. I wonder if continental manufacturers work to different regulations or just trying to provide a better product.

John
Not" cost cutting", Cost avoidance as they were never previously used in UK caravans.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
That doesn’t seem logical considering the modification to your drainage arrangements. Even without an arrangement such as yours I never had the problem that you had. Just prior to leaving a site I would run the remaining hot water into the bowl and just pour it down the main sink, and a warm bowlful diwn to bathroom sink. Then I’d drain the hot water tank for travelling.
I did put just in case the plug would be use but i would like to see it use first and see if everything is ok and my first outing in April 2022 so there might be a update to this :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts