When will they open?

Page 6 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
.......I don't doubt that many caravanners are able to use their heads, but sadly there are some who apparently don't. Some of them have posted on this forum, and have quite blatantly told us of activities they intend to undertake which were/are contrary to the oficial advice........
There are idiots all around no matter what we do, so the best thing if going away with the caravan is to take responsibility for your own personal safety, something which has been emphasised by the comments already posted.
I read every post that appears on these message boards sooner or later, and I've only seen comments from one individual which deliberately advocated actions which ran contrary to government advice.
Those comments didn't remain on the message boards because as a socially responsible online community they breached our ethical standards.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
....Common sense really. And self reliance in a situation where we can negate most of the potential problems others may bring.
Sorry but why have so many people ignored safe distancing?

Have you noticed when something goes seriously awry like the above, the comments suggest that "common sense" would have done better! In fact it was the common sense the people were using that actually got it so wrong.

I never trust common sense, I look for good sense.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Have you noticed when something goes seriously awry like the above, the comments suggest that "common sense" would have done better! In fact it was the common sense the people were using that actually got it so wrong.

I agree that on tv there have been shots of mass gatherings, and also crowded beaches and beauty spots. But in the overall numbers they probably represent a small but questionable minority. TV shots of empty streets don’t give the media companies much to talk about and do not generate headlines.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site

Well - I'm not talking about the actions of others but trying to emphasise how I can stay safe in spite of the foolishness of others. I was referencing a CL, not a beach or a tube train, not even a Supermarket.

Of course what some might see as "common sense! might be seen differently by others. In much the same way your own personal view of what comprises "good" sense of course!

The point I was making is simple. Using a CL and being self sufficient whilst in the caravan is, in my view, entirely safe. It will be my "good or even common sense" that maintains that degree of safety away from the CL.

Sadly we might need to maintain common sense for quite some time to come. I am as confident as I can be that, just in my sport (scuba diving) I am capable of assessing danger and acting appropriately. I don't think for one moment that I am alone.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Exactly if we get there we will have common sense because look at what my wife been doing since end of March 2020 (Nurse)
1/ Hardstanding Service Pitch Tap & Drain
2/ ToiletBlock is Shut so you have to use your Facilities (Wash/wipe everything)
3/ If we need Food we will taking some in the Cooler
4/ Dogs
Take Care Keep Safe and follow the guidelines Covid 19 Everyone

Reactions: Hutch

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We won't be joining the rush to get away in July if sites reopen, but we'll be off as soon as we can after the initial frenzy.
I need to bring the caravan home from storage for a good wash and wax, and to plug in to our mains to make sure that everything works ok after a longer than usual period in storage.
We'd be at least as safe as we are shielded at home if we stay away from crowded places, so I don't foresee any problems.
The fresh air and a change of scenery will do us good.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We won't be joining the rush to get away in July if sites reopen, but we'll be off as soon as we can after the initial frenzy.
I need to bring the caravan home from storage for a good wash and wax, and to plug in to our mains to make sure that everything works ok after a longer than usual period in storage.
We'd be at least as safe as we are shielded at home if we stay away from crowded places, so I don't foresee any problems.
I agree with you (Parksy) the change of scenery will do us good as well
Take Care Keep Safe :D

Reactions: Parksy

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site

Don’t want to miss out on a frenzy:giggle:. Basic infection control, comprising distancing, hand washing, face coverings and surface sanitation: should be OK.
mel

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Morning all, I’ve read through loads of previous posts on this topic and I cant see anything that indicates there is going to be a frenzy as mentioned by prof, I’ve also missed where individuals have adovacated ignoring government advice, I will say though, let’s take the shielding of people with underlying health conditions, being one of those category of people myself I choose pretty much to abide by the advice given by politicians, I make an exception of the recommendation to not go out at all and I go out twice a day to walk my dog, I have a route worked out where I can walk my dog and unless I were to come across a group of around 15+ people I have ample room to give them a wide berth and get no nearer than about 5 meters so here I’m using my own (common) sense and deciding I’m safe to do so, it’s also worth mentioning that I’m fairly sure that the advice given to shielded group is advisory and not compulsory or law, so if I choose to go to tesco or any other place where I’m advised not to go to I’m free to use my (common) sense if I want to, the problem that arises is some people have little of no sense (common or any other) sense so I have to use my (common) sense in such a way that when I decide what I’m going to do I have to factor in that there are idiots with no sense, I think the Prof is of the opinion that we are incapable of making any decisions for ourselves and should all have a herd mentality and do exactly as advised, even the politicians aren’t getting it 100% right, I think Boris is doing the best that can be done given the changing situation but I’m never going to agree with every bit of “Advice” he gives, not being at all political in anyway.
Roll on Wednesday LOL

Reactions: Mel and otherclive
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Morning all, I’ve read through loads of previous posts on this topic and I cant see anything that indicates there is going to be a frenzy as mentioned by prof, I’ve also missed where individuals have adovacated ignoring government advice, I will say though, let’s take the shielding of people with underlying health conditions, being one of those category of people myself I choose pretty much to abide by the advice given by politicians, I make an exception of the recommendation to not go out at all and I go out twice a day to walk my dog, I have a route worked out where I can walk my dog and unless I were to come across a group of around 15+ people I have ample room to give them a wide berth and get no nearer than about 5 meters so here I’m using my own (common) sense and deciding I’m safe to do so, it’s also worth mentioning that I’m fairly sure that the advice given to shielded group is advisory and not compulsory or law, so if I choose to go to tesco or any other place where I’m advised not to go to I’m free to use my (common) sense if I want to, the problem that arises is some people have little of no sense (common or any other) sense so I have to use my (common) sense in such a way that when I decide what I’m going to do I have to factor in that there are idiots with no sense, I think the Prof is of the opinion that we are incapable of making any decisions for ourselves and should all have a herd mentality and do exactly as advised, even the politicians aren’t getting it 100% right, I think Boris is doing the best that can be done given the changing situation but I’m never going to agree with every bit of “Advice” he gives, not being at all political in anyway.
Roll on Wednesday LOL
I agree :D

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I doubt there will be problems getting in. It seems the idea of paying on arrival even on club sites has been dropped and payment will be taken electronically before you get there.
If they show you to a pitch as many do that might delay things but otherwise you will be driving near enough straight in.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
... I think the Prof is of the opinion that we are incapable of making any decisions for ourselves and should all have a herd mentality...

Absolutely not, I am certain the vast majority of people can take rational decisions on these matters. I have never said or implied ALL people are incapable.

One of the concerns is that despite the care that sensible people take, it's the few that don't care or think that can spoil the situation, and their actions can negate the precautions the sensible ones have taken.

Obviously look after yourselves, but be watchful for ones who might undo all your planning.

Kepp safe

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I suppose the concern is not for 99% of forum members who, although I admit I don't read so much of what's said, seem to be full of "common or even good sense!"

Parksy reads everything and I trust his view of the general feelings here.

The dangers will not be on the site itself I suggest - but more so in what happens outside the site.

The "change of scenery" will do anyone good and provided the social distancing and cleanliness regimes are adhered to there will be no greater risk than at home.

Some of you will know Grindleford Station Cafe. I used to go for a pint of tea and a bacon and sausage buttie most Sunday mornings with my son. This stopped for obvious reasons but today we ventured out, met in the parking area and made a judgement having seen the situation.

I'm sure most people will do exactly the same. That's where the common sense kicks in.

I was surprised to see perhaps 30 bikers already there at 9.45 am and delighted to see they were all keeping the 2 metre rule as they chatted. To be honest it was heart warming to see the situation - ordinary folk enjoying a Sunday morning bike ride and a bite to eat. Long may it last.

My decision was to eat and drink. The cafe was empty, all food was served in plastic trays, condiments were added by the chef, drinks were only served in plastic disposable cups. Most impressed. Before going I confess I was a tad anxious and expected to turn around but I'm delighted how people, at least in this neck of the woods, are behaving.

Without exception whilst walking with my son and his dog people stopped or moved to keep a distance.

I would estimate our chances of picking up the virus close to zero.

My belief is that I am perfectly capable of similar decision making whilst in and about with the caravan.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I’ve also missed where individuals have adovacated ignoring government advice,
There's a reason for that Beehpee
😉

P.S
It was me, not the Prof who mentioned a 'frenzy'
It was a bit tongue in cheek because pitch availability could still be restricted and many caravanners will be looking forward to hitching up and getting away when sites reopen.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I said that we are going to Horsley 4/7 and thought about opening times . There has been the one pm for long time but as we are all going on the 4//7 there is going to be one traffic jam just getting on to the site. Wondered whether they will change it just for that one day.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I said that we are going to Horsley 4/7 and thought about opening times . There has been the one pm for long time but as we are all going on the 4//7 there is going to be one traffic jam just getting on to the site. Wondered whether they will change it just for that one day.
Sorry but i doubt very much they will change the time 1pm

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Robert, are you thinking of going early, to get to the head of the queue, so you can sit back and watch the antics of the folk pitching up, ?
There will be the situation of not being able to help, people with a problem except for verbal help I suppose, I had better charge up my walkie talkie.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I see CMHC are planning on a phase reopening of their sites. 4 July for England, 15July Scotland and Wales tbc. They are aiming to have facilities available as well as communal areas. But haven’t said yet what safeguards will be in place. Arrivals will be card or contactless.
I guess CCC will be making their announcement soon. We are booked for a trip out second half of July but even though the caravan shower is integral with the toilet we would plan to use that anyway. Or just go Grunge.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The site i am using not in the caravan Club but they are planning a phase of reopening on 4th july for England but the Facilities will at present be shut but you have to follow the Covid -19 Guidelines ..

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well my first time there and they said you are Caravan Club member because we have ask for a hardstanding service pitch in the Adult Section

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts