When will they open?

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi OC I looked on the corona website for do’s & don’t‘s and not surprisingly nothing that gives any insight as to legality, I shall go ahead and fetch the van next week and I’m confident I won’t get pulled but I’ll accept it politely if I do and from what I’ve heard this often means the difference between getting a fine or not, I’ve a couple of jobs I already know that need doing, it has a manual toilet flush that needs replacing, I’ve purchased the required siphon and having replaced one ages ago I’m happy to do it, the van will get a much needed wash and shine and I’ll give the shower a trial run so I know that’s working as it should, I’ve also ordered some “scrubbies” which someone told me about, it’s a cloth impregnated with soap and something to absorb a small amount of water and apparently one of the wipes is enough for a full body wash, I thought I’d get some and got a backup should showering be a problem, I’m really looking forward to putting the Kuga through it’s paces with the van hooked up.
Getting away looking tantalisingly real.

BP
I know someone who got a car like yours and pulls a Coachman VIP 545 Touring Caravan he says it great so you easy pull the Bailey Ranger

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
We love the Aysgarth falls hotel; great beer and even better food-been there a lot but not the caravan site-looks a bit tight if it's the hotel and not very even but it'll be fun!
We are fed up-been looking forward to getting away-booked sutton on sea as they were allowing bookings in July and we are now told that we can't go till Saturday-since we are both at work we cant go for just one night and home ready for Monday so we cancelled and can't rebook-it's fully booked! -1 day!!!! Grrrr

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We have ALDE heating so never have a problem with running out of hot water as I can shower straight after OH and then do the dishes with plenty of hot water left over.
Aldes blurbe says,
Alde Compact 3000/3010 has a water heater with a volume of approx. 8.4 litres of hot water at >50 °C. When the hot water is mixed with cold water (approx. 10 °C) to normal usage temperature (approx. 38 °C), this gives you around 12 litres of hot water every 30 minutes.
The function ”extra hot water” on the digital control panel for Compact 3010 raises the water temperature to > 65 °C in under 30 minutes. This means ≈ 15 litres of heated water, mixed and ready to use. Assuming an average flow rate of 3 litres per minute, this gives ≈5 minutes of continuous heated water for showers.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can't help feeling reading this thread that many of you are becoming very frustrated with the lockdown restrictions. I can understand it, but as I have suggested previously don't be surprised if sites are still restricted past the 4th July.

I concerned the the lockdown is creating cabin fever and the degree of pent up expectation is going to lead some of you into doing something quite rash, such as venturing out even when the signs might be suggesting its still too early for safety.

By all means plan for July but be realistic and consider the poor sense of everyone rushing off to sites.

Covid has not gone away, if the Office of National Statistics is even partially right less than 0.1% of the UK population has so far caught C19, that means there are 99.9% who are still at risk of catching it.

Whilst it might not seriously affect you, it might be fatal to someone you know. There is still no defined way of predicting who might be more seriously affected if they catch it.

Play safe.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I can't help feeling reading this thread that many of you are becoming very frustrated with the lockdown restrictions. I can understand it, but as I have suggested previously don't be surprised if sites are still restricted past the 4th July.

I concerned the the lockdown is creating cabin fever and the degree of pent up expectation is going to lead some of you into doing something quite rash, such as venturing out even when the signs might be suggesting its still too early for safety.

By all means plan for July but be realistic and consider the poor sense of everyone rushing off to sites.

Covid has not gone away, if the Office of National Statistics is even partially right less than 0.1% of the UK population has so far caught C19, that means there are 99.9% who are still at risk of catching it.

Whilst it might not seriously affect you, it might be fatal to someone you know. There is still no defined way of predicting who might be more seriously affected if they catch it.

Play safe.
I would see going to a well prepared site less of a risk than going to a supermarket or garden center which we haven’t done thus far. On a site we can be self contained fir 4-5 days wrt food and facilities. I can easily avoid other people and maintain social distance and take precautions when using taps or bins. If HMG do ease the restrictions on sites then I would have no qualms about visiting and take my own precautions in parallel. I accept that there may be the possibility of an unforeseen occurrence but if you have the kit with you that can be managed too. Taking two cars would obviate the need to return home or elsewhere in preference to a recovery truck or public transport.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
You just have to do your own thing, decide as your heart and head tell you. I don't even let my dogs meet other dogs incase their, owners might transmit via the dogs coats to my wife, as she is on the Highly vulnerable, list.

It is taking me a long timeto talk her into going out and her letter says end of June, and it will be a long time before she goes into a supermarket or pub again, .

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the prof about more people taking risks they shouldn’t be because of the accurate terminology of cabin fever, however I am old enough and intelligent enough to be able to make decisions after 12 weeks of lockdown that will enable me to limit the risk to myself and my wife of being exposed to the virus, both of us have underlying health issues that require us to be shielded, apart from walking the dog which has brought us into no contact less than probably 5 meters never mind 2, yes our risk will be increased by going away in late July but only if we allow ourselves to come into contact with other people or places other people have infected with the virus, we will be living for the 2 weeks in our own caravan, we will use our own cooking facilities, equipment, and we will still purchase our groceries by going online and placing a click and collect or probably a tesco delivery for the period we are there, being on the priority list for tesco Asda Morrison’s and Sainsbury’s I’ve no doubt at all we will get a slot for first and second weeks, our showering and toilet needs are our own, even if by the 18th sites are able to open each and every facility is available that doesn’t mean we will use them, we absolutely will not, where we will benefit is different sights and sounds, walks along the beach which is open all year round for dogs and tends to be largely unused even in good weather, all of the things we could become infected by will be avoided, using a well worn phrase “we will avoid such risks like the plague” our total risk may rise but the rise will be so small that the benefit will outweigh the increased risk, as they politicians quote stay alert and we can all be safe, relax too much and catastrophic consequences await, I can’t wait to go!!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Aldes blurbe says,
Alde Compact 3000/3010 has a water heater with a volume of approx. 8.4 litres of hot water at >50 °C. When the hot water is mixed with cold water (approx. 10 °C) to normal usage temperature (approx. 38 °C), this gives you around 12 litres of hot water every 30 minutes.
The function ”extra hot water” on the digital control panel for Compact 3010 raises the water temperature to > 65 °C in under 30 minutes. This means ≈ 15 litres of heated water, mixed and ready to use. Assuming an average flow rate of 3 litres per minute, this gives ≈5 minutes of continuous heated water for showers.
We have the ALDE flow which gives us unlimited hot water.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
What’s the medal thing about🤔
We are lucky to have an onboard water tank plus two aquarolls. SWMBO tends to use our own shower wherever we are. Even with all her hair shampoos, conditioners, gel etc, she does understand splash and dash. Like Hutch , I walk the dog whilst she showers. Never run out yet.These days we do prefer fully serviced pitches . Saves a lot of grey waste disposal which I think is harder than filling the aquaroll. Have you noticed CAMC sites have fresh water taps everywhere but usually only one grey waste drain which can be a long way from your pitch.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Play safe.
Perfect correct. We have a booking in Weymouth on a fully serviced pitch for early July which was made in February and we have had it shifted twice so as not to lose our deposit. We also have a booking on a CL near Christchurch so that we can visit my aunt. If the situation appears to be not good, we will rather lose our deposit or change booking to next year.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I’ve the balance to pay on the 20th July, if there was a big change before then that made things worse, also even after the total balance has been paid if I thought our risk had massively increased I’d still cancel and lose the full payment, if it was the site that had to cancel then we’d get reimbursed or rebooked so I’m prepared to alter our plans whatever the circumstances dictate, if it costs me complete payment so be it, my life is more important, someone said early in this current situation dont think of it as being locked in, think of it as being protected and kept safe to live longer, I’ll settle for living longer.

BP

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the prof about more people taking risks they shouldn’t be because of the accurate terminology of cabin fever, however I am old enough and intelligent enough to be able to make decisions after 12 weeks of lockdown that will enable me to limit the risk to myself and my wife of being exposed to the virus, both of us have underlying health issues that require us to be shielded, apart from walking the dog which has brought us into no contact less than probably 5 meters never mind 2, yes our risk will be increased by going away in late July but only if we allow ourselves to come into contact with other people or places other people have infected with the virus, we will be living for the 2 weeks in our own caravan, we will use our own cooking facilities, equipment, and we will still purchase our groceries by going online and placing a click and collect or probably a tesco delivery for the period we are there, being on the priority list for tesco Asda Morrison’s and Sainsbury’s I’ve no doubt at all we will get a slot for first and second weeks, our showering and toilet needs are our own, even if by the 18th sites are able to open each and every facility is available that doesn’t mean we will use them, we absolutely will not, where we will benefit is different sights and sounds, walks along the beach which is open all year round for dogs and tends to be largely unused even in good weather, all of the things we could become infected by will be avoided, using a well worn phrase “we will avoid such risks like the plague” our total risk may rise but the rise will be so small that the benefit will outweigh the increased risk, as they politicians quote stay alert and we can all be safe, relax too much and catastrophic consequences await, I can’t wait to go!!
i went to a small supermarket today with my face mask on in my wheelchair and it says 2 metres apart this fella was right behind me . i am not allowed to go to Tesco , Asda , Morrisons we get food delivered online from Asda i have a priority slot for 7to 8am every Wednesday i also agree with prof about people taking risks ...

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Towbar being fitted on the Kuga 13 pin electrics and removable ball, then I’ll be off to the storage to fetch van home so I can play with it.

BP

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would see going to a well prepared site less of a risk than going to a supermarket or garden center which we haven’t done thus far. On a site we can be self contained fir 4-5 days wrt food and facilities. I can easily avoid other people and maintain social distance and take precautions when using taps or bins. If HMG do ease the restrictions on sites then I would have no qualms about visiting and take my own precautions in parallel. I accept that there may be the possibility of an unforeseen occurrence but if you have the kit with you that can be managed too. Taking two cars would obviate the need to return home or elsewhere in preference to a recovery truck or public transport.
Hello Clive, I don't doubt that many caravanners are able to use their heads, but sadly there are some who apparently don't. Some of them have posted on this forum, and have quite blatantly told us of activities they intend to undertake which were/are contrary to the oficial advice. As in the olde naval saying one bad apple can spoil the barrel, it only needs a thoughtless or careless act to spread the virus.

We have seen plenty of evidence that when gathered together in a like minded crowed, like on the beaches and other beauty spots, and in the recent BLM demonstrations thoughts of distancing seem to be lost.

Going to the supermarket for most is a necessity, where as choosing to go caravanning is not.

All I'm suggesting is caravanner's use their heads and to not just weigh up the risks to themselves, but to think also about those who may be indirectly affected by their activity.

Play safe.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Hello Clive, I don't doubt that many caravanners are able to use their heads, but sadly there are some who apparently don't. Some of them have posted on this forum, and have quite blatantly told us of activities they intend to undertake which were/are contrary to the oficial advice. As in the olde naval saying one bad apple can spoil the barrel, it only needs a thoughtless or careless act to spread the virus.

We have seen plenty of evidence that when gathered together in a like minded crowed, like on the beaches and other beauty spots, and in the recent BLM demonstrations thoughts of distancing seem to be lost.

Going to the supermarket for most is a necessity, where as choosing to go caravanning is not.

All I'm suggesting is caravanner's use their heads and to not just weigh up the risks to themselves, but to think also about those who may be indirectly affected by their activity.

Play safe.

Yes, Yes , Yes.

But surely you can see that a CL (we will not be using full sites but with extra care same applies) where all we need to touch is the electricity, tap and loo empty is no more of a risk - with proper washing of course - than walking down a street and probably less than going shopping.

Probably the one certain thing about a CL is that you can be sure to stay apart from others - that's less doable in many other everyday situations.

We've no fear about using the van in these circumstances.

We have no desire either to catch Covid ourselves or carry it to others. I sure you're not suggesting some would have no such concerns. Caravanning can be as safe as you make it.

I'm not going to debate accidents and other extremely unlikely events - they would be dealt with if and when they actually occurred.

Common sense really. And self reliance in a situation where we can negate most of the potential problems others may bring.

Reactions: Brasso530
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Yes , Yes.

But surely you can see that a CL (we will not be using full sites but with extra care same applies) where all we need to touch is the electricity, tap and loo empty is no more of a risk - with proper washing of course - than walking down a street and probably less than going shopping.

Probably the one certain thing about a CL is that you can be sure to stay apart from others - that's less doable in many other everyday situations.

We've no fear about using the van in these circumstances.

We have no desire either to catch Covid ourselves or carry it to others. I sure you're not suggesting some would have no such concerns. Caravanning can be as safe as you make it.

I'm not going to debate accidents and other extremely unlikely events - they would be dealt with if and when they actually occurred.

Common sense really. And self reliance in a situation where we can negate most of the potential problems others may bring.
if the site gets green light by boris the Toilet Block is shut but it is a Hardstanding service pitch with me own tap and drain

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Play safe.
Actually who was at fault with the crowed people on the beaches a certain person went all the way from london to Durham and then another 30 miles each way did not received a driving fine (They said if he can do it )

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts