Which tyres

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm sorry Robert but your last two comments don't seem to make any sencse in the context of the thread, Can you explain please?

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I'm sorry Robert but your last two comments don't seem to make any sencse in the context of the thread, Can you explain please?
[/QU Sorry about that, as I said before to the mechanic . Have you any experience of Tyron band fitting of which he replied "only the removing them from customers tyres. He did no elaborate to how many persons that had that done. My spare tyre which looks brand new but ages old ,I am having it done so will ask him about how many removed

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Still with tyres, was telling my wife about this thread and she came out with this . Why travel with a new tyre in the boot which sometimes never gets used when if you fitted it in turn to another wheel so evening it out. Many years ago I use to change fronts to rears , now wait until worn.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Still with tyres, was telling my wife about this thread and she came out with this . Why travel with a new tyre in the boot which sometimes never gets used when if you fitted it in turn to another wheel so evening it out. Many years ago I use to change fronts to rears , now wait until worn.
I always used to rotate the set of 5 in sequence - the Vauxhalls looked naff as the spare was a black painted steel wheel but I changed to Subaru and then Hyundai which both had a matching alloy spare - now my VW Touareg has a deflated space-saver so nowhere to stow a full-size spare even if I bought one.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On many cars the spare wheel is not the same size as the driven wheels or the tyre on the spare wheel is a different size. Our spare wheel is metal and not an alloy and instead of it being 20" is only 18".

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I always used to rotate the set of 5 in sequence - the Vauxhalls looked naff as the spare was a black painted steel wheel but I changed to Subaru and then Hyundai which both had a matching alloy spare - now my VW Touareg has a deflated space-saver so nowhere to stow a full-size spare even if I bought one.
My current Forester only has a space saver but in Oz it comes with a full size alloy. So on my last Forester SJ I bought a brand new Subaru alloy from the importers which although a different pattern wheel met all the dimensional specifications. Being a discontinued line and during stock clearance I only paid £50 plus carriage. It sat in the wheel well but slightly raised the load area floor about half an inch. I shod it with a part worn tyre at 5 mm with similar tread pattern to the four OEM Yokohama tyres. It came into its own when I had a non repairable puncture one bank holiday Sunday near Bangor.

So the spare went onto the rear wheel. The road wheel with the punctured tyre was fitted with a new Hankook as that is all I could get. But the key aspect is that the spare on the non matching wheel was within 1.0 mm of the other three road wheel. And they stayed that way until all four road tyres were replaced and the Hankook spare was then fitted to the non matching road wheel from the importer. It worked out fine as otherwise if I had not had a suitable full spare within the specified tread depth I would have faced replacing four tyres together.

When I sold that Subaru I advertised the non matching alloy plus it’s Hankook spare and got £165 for it from someone planning to do the same. Made about £20 profit over my outlay too. But life shouldn’t be so complicated.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On many cars the spare wheel is not the same size as the driven wheels or the tyre on the spare wheel is a different size. Our spare wheel is metal and not an alloy and instead of it being 20" is only 18".
Yes my XC 70 space saver was 2 inch smaller on its tyre diameter than the road wheels. Looked very strange when I had to use it when I had a puncture. My Superb estate had a steel full size spare but the steel wheel was one inch smaller than the road wheels although the tyre aspect ratio was higher and rolling radius the same as the four road wheels.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
This thread has now got me thinking, I replaced my 4 tyres I think 4 years ago, for Knokian Weatherproofs , which are directional tyres. I still have the original Hankook vectus 2 , full size spare wheel, never had a puncture, now the thing is ?

Without looking any further I think the spare tyre /wheel is non directional, so I can fit it on either side of the car. I would only run this until I got the puncture repaired or tyre replaced.

But I wonder how many cars are fitted with directional tyres as spares.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This thread has now got me thinking, I replaced my 4 tyres I think 4 years ago, for Knokian Weatherproofs , which are directional tyres. I still have the original Hankook vectus 2 , full size spare wheel, never had a puncture, now the thing is ?

Without looking any further I think the spare tyre /wheel is non directional, so I can fit it on either side of the car. I would only run this until I got the puncture repaired or tyre replaced.

That's a good question. I hope that car manufacturers would most likely be aware of this, and supply a omnidirectional tyre. But of late there have been quite a few space saver spares, or no spare from new.

Of course once its in the hands of the end user who knows what might have happened, and what tyres may have been swapped or changed.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes imagine , someone getting talked into getting 5 tyres that are directional. For a big discount. Then getting a puncture on the side which the directional tyre would not be suitable. And fitting it, not a good thought.
Might try and ask a tyre company.
Where is our tyre lad on here, from Leighton Buzzard.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

My Sorento had a normal full size spare identical to road wheels. The XC 70 had space saver non directional. Superb steel wheel full size non directional. Both Subarus had/have non directional space saver. All aforementioned cars had non directional road tyres from new. Benefit of non directional spare is that it can be fitted on any position, although some makers recommend only to the rear axle.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

Not many - directional tyres are rarely fitted as OE.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yes my XC 70 space saver was 2 inch smaller on its tyre diameter than the road wheels. Looked very strange when I had to use it when I had a puncture. My Superb estate had a steel full size spare but the steel wheel was one inch smaller than the road wheels although the tyre aspect ratio was higher and rolling radius the same as the four road wheels.
The other quirk is that although the car is AWD the spare is of a different make. I have 20" Continentals on drive wheels and I think the spare is Kumho 18" on a steel rim. I thought on AWD you could not mix tyres plus the spare would be brand new with maximum tread, but if it is a rear drive tyre the tread is only about 4mm? Weird!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The other quirk is that although the car is AWD the spare is of a different make. I have 20" Continentals on drive wheels and I think the spare is Kumho 18" on a steel rim. I thought on AWD you could not mix tyres plus the spare would be brand new with maximum tread, but if it is a rear drive tyre the tread is only about 4mm? Weird!
If it’s a spare then it should only be used for a limited distance. On my Superb 4WD the spare was full width on a smaller steel wheel but higher aspect ratio than the road wheels. So it’s rolling diameter was the same albeit it had full tread depth. But the spare wheel had the 50 mph speed limit sticker on it so clearly Skoda saw it as a “get you home“ fitment. But more importantly to me it presented no limitations to towing.

Not all 4WD are the same. Haldex seem more tolerant of tread mismatch. Subaru are not tolerant. As yours is a Jeep system your owners manual should advise.. But if your can run in 2WD like my Sorento and Pajero did then front to rear mismatch isn’t a problem as drive is isolated via the transfer gearbox.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Mi Volkswagen Tiguan the steel space saver wheel is 18" but the road wheels are 19" from new less than 10,000 miles to each your own

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Spare saver wheel tyre T145 /85 R18 103M
Wheel 4.5J

The main road tyres 235/50 R19 99v
These are the tyres it came with when new in 2018

Attachments

• s-l300.png
    s-l300.png
    110.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: