Will the electric car strategy the govement has kill Caravans

Page 10 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Ray. The charging points must be so designed that unhitching is unnecessary. Even clamped etc a lone caravan is a thief’s target. What a faf.
Like that's going to happen - motorway services can't provide adequate parking for caravans now without it being used by every other type of vehicle.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Like that's going to happen - motorway services can't provide adequate parking for caravans now without it being used by every other type of vehicle.
As it’s HMG driven and they are the superior landlords of most of the Motorway services they will have to make the changes happen😜.Just dreaming😁

• Haha
Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I agree with Ray. The charging points must be so designed that unhitching is unnecessary. Even clamped etc a lone caravan is a thief’s target. What a faf.
I can see a problem here as quite often when pulling into services there are more than several outfits that are stopped up. This could be an issue even if only a third of them needed to recharge their batteries?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Can you still get a grant scheme for a home charger at our property for a EV any input would be appreciated want to get one .

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Yes am sure grants are there for chargers. We ordered our car sent the invoice number and or chassis number either to pod point and away you go. Charger ends up about£600 Inc installation costs.

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes am sure grants are there for chargers. We ordered our car sent the invoice number and or chassis number either to pod point and away you go. Charger ends up about£600 Inc installation costs.
i will look into the grant way first but we could save the money up if we had to pay thanks for your help in this matter 😀

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A 120 miles is a drive around the block so not much of a range! We would be looking at a range of at least 300 miles before even considering an EV for towing. No way would I be wanting 1 1/2 hours added to my journey of about 300 miles.
It is of course a matter of personal preference on how far you are prepared to tow before stopping, and to some extent it may also reflect past experiences through necessity. For example here in the UK most drivers would consider a 300mile leg a very long journey and with UK road conditions it can be quite stressful. But my relatives in Canada barely think twice about doing longer journeys in a day, and rather than referring to the linear distance they look at it in terms of time.

Granted present day models and the state of the charging availability would not meet your 300 mile range and recharge times, but that is using todays perception and not allowing for improvements that are coming in the not too distant future. Ok it won't change the speed at which old cars can charge, but where newer cars can recharge at over 100kW per hour then teh picture is not as bleak as you make out.

...Used models will potentially be affordable but will they be capable of towing?
Yes - but not necessarily as far as newer models.

Will used models be affordable and would you buy a used model with only 6 months or a years warranty? Cost of replacing a battery pack can be horrendous at present although they may come down in price by 2030. However more than likely in about 2028 we will trade in for another diesel that hopefully will last us another 10 years.

The very strong irrefutable evidence is that EV batteries are lasting far longer than you imply. Many EV manufacturers are offering multi year or very high mileage battery warranties, and the replacement rates on average are very low. There are some models where degradation is significantly worse than average, but equally many that are probably going to exceed the average by a considerable margin. It's not perfect (but then even ICE vehicle wear out eventually) but second hand EV ownership is are nowhere near as bleak as you continually try to make out.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The very strong irrefutable evidence is that EV batteries are lasting far longer than you imply. Many EV manufacturers are offering multi year or very high mileage battery warranties, and the replacement rates on average are very low. There are some models where degradation is significantly worse than average, but equally many that are probably going to exceed the average by a considerable margin. It's not perfect (but then even ICE vehicle wear out eventually) but second hand EV ownership is are nowhere near as bleak as you continually try to make out.
Our Corolla with 114k on the clock is now 25 years old with same engine and gearbox and can stand for a week or three without being used. I wonder if EVs will have the same capacity to hold a charge. I could sell the vehicle with a clear conscience knowing that it is going to serve someone well for the next 100k. Not sure about that if it is an EV but I guess time will tell.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A 2020 EV in reality will not be a good tug. By 2030 I am confident technology will have progressed .BUT will us OAPs be able to afford it🤔.
Currently the biggest problem is raw materials like Lithium for the batteries. Will China hold us all to ransom? Apparently Lithium is available for mining in Cornwall

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our Corolla with 114k on the clock is now 25 years old with same engine and gearbox and can stand for a week or three without being used. I wonder if EVs will have the same capacity to hold a charge. I could sell the vehicle with a clear conscience knowing that it is going to serve someone well for the next 100k. Not sure about that if it is an EV but I guess time will tell.
Toyota have gained a very good reputation for reliability over the years, and I am ever so glad that at last you have found one piece of technology that hasn't let you down.

Whilst you may not have had any issue with your Toyota there are some who have had many problems. Such is life when dealing with technology. I have no doubt there will be plenty of EV owners who experience similar levels of reliability even after standing for several weeks - but ultimately all present day EV battery technology suffers from some self discharge, so some of the charge will be lost over extended periods. But equally ICE cars will deteriorate if left over time, rust sets in, and fuel can begin to separate, Oilway sludge up and so on. It is a well know fact that ICE engines lose their capability to produce full power over time, so its swings and roundabouts

Regardless of the type of vehicle there will be some owners who have great reliability and some with not so good.

Reactions: Tobes and JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A 2020 EV in reality will not be a good tug. By 2030 I am confident technology will have progressed .BUT will us OAPs be able to afford it🤔.
Currently the biggest problem is raw materials like Lithium for the batteries. Will China hold us all to ransom? Apparently Lithium is available for mining in Cornwall
The tree huggers will be there in a flash changing themselves to trees and gluing themselves to the roads!

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Granted it's most likely that products designed and built in 2030 will have several advantages over 2020 products, and that also probably means the 2020 products will be more affordable for OAPs in 2030.

OAP's have always had problems affording cars, so that is nothing really new.

Reactions: Tobes
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
All the evidence at the moment is that EVs will actually be more reliable at this sort of mileage-not sure about age but Teslas are coping well with over 200,000 miles-no exhaust to rot and drop off for starters and no DPF which are lasting only 100k miles .
However I am taking a different tack-quite pleased that so many seem so vehemently opposed to EVs-now we have ours. It means that the incentives such as the free charging at Tescos etc and the numerous charging stations cropping up plus free road tax will last a bit longer at least!😊👍😉

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Reading on another forum apparently there are no towbars for the Kia EV that is possible of towing 1600kgs. A factory / dealer fit at £1500 may be possible?
Bottom line is before buying an EV for towing check that towbars for that type of vehicle are available.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I should think it'll take the after market gang quite a while to get up and running with this-though it'll be the same as the ioniq-but buyer beware as they say-need to check with a dealer if you are going that way-chatted to a new owner of an EV6 today -to say he was chuffed was a huge understatement-grin like a cheshire cat!

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you download the EV6 brochure it describes the detachable towbar with a picture shown too. The tech spec does not detail noseweight it’s a TBC but it does specify the unbraked and braked tow loads.
One interesting picture shows the car charging an electric bike. A cunning range extender. 🚲

Last edited:
Reactions: Tobes
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you download the EV6 brochure it describes the detachable towbar with a picture shown too. The tech spec does not detail noseweight it’s a TBC but it does specify the unbraked and braked tow loads.
One interesting picture shows the car charging an electric bike. A cunning range extender. 🚲
Ah but can you recharge the EV6 with an exercise bike? o_O

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Not everyone's cup of tea I know, in fact some hate Top Gear with a vengeance. Nevertheless, despite the nonsense, there was something to be gleaned about towing with an EV from episode 2 of the current series.

John

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Trip report posted here…

(moved to correct cross post)

Attachments

• IMG_6990X.JPG
    IMG_6990X.JPG
    452.9 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for that level of detail - it's always helpful to be given the similar level of detail as I would use to plan a journey

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts