Will the electric car strategy the govement has kill Caravans

Page 9 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The figure is incredibly low and might be a marketing ploy as Jezzer says, or even an error in the computer system. The other point though is that the insurers will presume that anyone buying a small electric car is environmentally conscious, which suggests a more responsible personality and therefore a lower risk. This might not apply to those buying the bigger ones, who have far more performance availab
I can't see how battery damage on an EV would be any different to engine damage on an ice vehicle Buckman-at that point we're probably talking a write off-in terms of offers yes it was a Confused special-but i then went on to Sagas website and it went down a further £2-amazing-computer error or not-very happy-next nearest was £160 and was actually going to accept that!
I found this information, maybe

Examining insurance trends from GoCompare, we found Nissan Leaf drivers paid £394 per year (on average) in 2020, while owners of the smaller and cheaper to buy Ford Fiesta were charged £550 for their yearly premiums across all petrol and diesel models. This is compared to 2019, which saw Nissan Leaf drivers pay on average £424 for their yearly premiums, while drivers of the smaller Ford Fiesta paid £602.
This trend is echoed in data from MoneySuperMarket, with the electric Renault Zoe costing £451 to insure on average in Q2 2020. In comparison, a Vauxhall Corsa owner paid £776 - over 70% more than its electric rival.
When it comes to luxury electric models, the Tesla Model 3 is the most expensive model to insure based on data from MoneySuperMarket. However, it also followed the falling prices seen elsewhere - dropping 16% from £1464 in 2019 to £1223 in 2020. Q

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Examining insurance trends from GoCompare, we found Nissan Leaf drivers paid £394 per year (on average) in 2020, while owners of the smaller and cheaper to buy Ford Fiesta were charged £550 for their yearly premiums across all petrol and diesel models. This is compared to 2019, which saw Nissan Leaf drivers pay on average £424 for their yearly premiums, while drivers of the smaller Ford Fiesta paid £602.
This trend is echoed in data from MoneySuperMarket, with the electric Renault Zoe costing £451 to insure on average in Q2 2020. In comparison, a Vauxhall Corsa owner paid £776 - over 70% more than its electric rival.
When it comes to luxury electric models, the Tesla Model 3 is the most expensive model to insure based on data from MoneySuperMarket. However, it also followed the falling prices seen elsewhere - dropping 16% from £1464 in 2019 to £1223 in 2020. Q

Annual mileage may be skewing those figures - people doing a high annual mileage are less likely to buy an EV

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just reinsured the Subaru Forester with LV= at £315 for myself, wife and daughter with an annual mileage for 2021-22 of 10000 miles.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No it isn't ,not with the present range of battery powered cars.When I can't use a Diesel or petrol car i'll give up driving and caravanning
There are several EV's and Hybrids that can tow, so your stark statements is technically wrong, but I do agree there are too few EV's presently available that would make you feel as happy at towing as with most present day diesel vehicles.

I have little doubt that EV's will improve either in terms of range OR ease of charging mid journey making towing a less stressful proposition.

There are some good reasons why EV's should make great tow vehicles, firstly the weight of the tow vehicle and the maximum torque at low speeds are both seen as important plus points.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
As the Prof says-work in progress but the Kia EV6 Hyundai Ioniq and Polestar are all 1500kg or over tow cars-and range will be approx 120 miles-at which point you should be stopping for a break anyway-20mins charging-the issue is with the charging not being good enough yet but if you have the money Tesla owners don't report many issues with rapid charging! The forthcoming model Y at 50k will have a 14-1500 kg tow capacity too-we just need prices of the vehicles to come down which will happen with economies of scale-the future of caravanning looks bright to me!

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As the Prof says-work in progress but the Kia EV6 Hyundai Ioniq and Polestar are all 1500kg or over tow cars-and range will be approx 120 miles-at which point you should be stopping for a break anyway-20mins charging-the issue is with the charging not being good enough yet but if you have the money Tesla owners don't report many issues with rapid charging! The forthcoming model Y at 50k will have a 14-1500 kg tow capacity too-we just need prices of the vehicles to come down which will happen with economies of scale-the future of caravanning looks bright to me!
A 120 miles is a drive around the block so not much of a range! We would be looking at a range of at least 300 miles before even considering an EV for towing. No way would I be wanting 1 1/2 hours added to my journey of about 300 miles.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
That old sausage again-work in progress, patience-don't be an early adopter-it's coming! I feel sad when I hear people hanging up their caravan aquarolls to go to... cottages and b and bs just at the thought of 120 mile hops-range will improve and prices will come down! Our Dacia Duster wasn't much better than the current best EVs when towing (~petrol , I know) but we were gettting twitchy after 150 miles-but we won't fill up with fuel when towing either-some stations are rediculously tight!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The recommendation is for a break of at least 15 mins every 2-3 hours - EV recharging can't match that yet when towing but is improving all the time.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
There are a considerable amount of public charger installations going on .To date there are 2558 Scotland,1000 Wales and 42000 England. Imagine the number in 9 years time. Integration of batteries as part of the vehicle superstructure is already happening. As indeed will solar panels. Yes by 2030 I am optimistic EV will be good tuggers but cost new will be a big barrier for most of us. Used models will potentially be affordable but will they be capable of towing?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The recommendation is for a break of at least 15 mins every 2-3 hours - EV recharging can't match that yet when towing but is improving all the time.
Our Satnav advises us when it is time for a break however by that time I do need a break to stretch my legs and also get a bit of relief. Also the dogs need to do their thing. We do probably stop for a bit longer than 15 minutes as have something to drink and eat which helps refresh oneself.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There are a considerable amount of public charger installations going on .To date there are 2558 Scotland,1000 Wales and 42000 England. Imagine the number in 9 years time. Integration of batteries as part of the vehicle superstructure is already happening. As indeed will solar panels. Yes by 2030 I am optimistic EV will be good tuggers but cost new will be a big barrier for most of us. Used models will potentially be affordable but will they be capable of towing?
Will used models be affordable and would you buy a used model with only 6 months or a years warranty? Cost of replacing a battery pack can be horrendous at present although they may come down in price by 2030. However more than likely in about 2028 we will trade in for another diesel that hopefully will last us another 10 years.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Surrey council have a contract for 17000 on street chargers by 2030. If others do likewise you will not be able to move for chargers. Hope they are designed to resist dog wee, many lamp posts were not.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Will used models be affordable and would you buy a used model with only 6 months or a years warranty? Cost of replacing a battery pack can be horrendous at present although they may come down in price by 2030. However more than likely in about 2028 we will trade in for another diesel that hopefully will last us another 10 years.
The average age of cars on the road now is 8.5 years. On that basis ICE will still be around for a long long time after 2030. Sadly age is catching a lot of us up. I may not be towing by 2030, who knows😉😉

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we change the Tiguan in a couple years or so looking at trying a hybrid out not sure what model but with me in a wheelchair it got to have height and it can tow . a lightweight four berth because like what someone says i might not be doing at 2030 .we are taking it day by day at present.

Reactions: JezzerB and Raywood
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
When we change the Tiguan in a couple years or so looking at trying a hybrid out not sure what model but with me in a wheelchair it got to have height and it can tow . a lightweight four berth because like what someone says i might not be doing at 2030 .we are taking it day by day at present.
Are you changing your two berth?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Not just a break but including some active walking. An EV with caravan provides that opportunity as the van is parked away from the car whilst charging. 😅
By the time the caravan has been parked, car repositioned to charger and the reverse afterwards, it's probably a lot more than 15 mins.

I get a walk by using the faciities!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
By the time the caravan has been parked, car repositioned to charger and the reverse afterwards, it's probably a lot more than 15 mins.

I get a walk by using the faciities!
What’s the obsession with 15 minutes. We general stop to eat something as well as facilities which generally were the caravans own i ones as it was never left unattended. Then there’s the dogs comfort break too.
Anyway my post was meant to be light hearted.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
What’s the obsession with 15 minutes. We general stop to eat something as well as facilities which generally were the caravans own i ones as it was never left unattended. Then there’s the dogs comfort break too.
Anyway my post was meant to be light hearted.
I think the problem is that the charge point will only have room for the car. This means you have to find a space where you can unhitch the caravan and leave it until you have charged up and when you have charged come back and hitch up again, probably having to fit a wheel clamp and remove as well if the caravan is any distance away. Unfortunately that will add possibly another half hour to the recharge, always assuming that the site lets you get back to the caravan, which some motorway services will not be possible.
Possibly as trucks go electric you will be able to use their far longer bays but we will have to wait and see.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think the problem is that the charge point will only have room for the car. This means you have to find a space where you can unhitch the caravan and leave it until you have charged up and when you have charged come back and hitch up again, probably having to fit a wheel clamp and remove as well if the caravan is any distance away. Unfortunately that will add possibly another half hour to the recharge, always assuming that the site lets you get back to the caravan, which some motorway services will not be possible.
Possibly as trucks go electric you will be able to use their far longer bays but we will have to wait and see.
I noted that in my post that the car and van would need to be separate. Which gives you a leg stretch 😀 We never have left the van unattended. Neither does the member who tows with an EV Polestar.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I noted that in my post that the car and van would need to be separate. Which gives you a leg stretch 😀 We never have left the van unattended. Neither does the member who tows with an EV Polestar.
I agree with Ray. The charging points must be so designed that unhitching is unnecessary. Even clamped etc a lone caravan is a thief’s target. What a faf.

TRENDING THREADS