Windsocks and Poles

Oct 30, 2006
Visit site
Hi everyone, we had a lovely time away at the CC site in Battle over the end of May Bank Hol, the flowers were in full bloom and it was gorgeous, plus, sunny weather, most of the bad weather they had at home only happened at night, not that anyone belives us !

On Site a number of vans had windsocks on long telescopic poles , my son is going on about getting one and I am not against the idea, bring a bit of colour and fun into the world ,plus he can find the van easier, just wonder what others think of these Windsocks, what is the best way to secure them, what hight is best, and where is the best place to go to get them ?

Thank you for any advice.

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
HI,

We use these when we are by the sea - they brighten up the van as you said, but we also use one because it stops birds from soiling the awning and caravan.

We bought a wind sock from a shop in St Davids for 99p and the telescopic poles can be bought from any beach shop or maybe even wilkinsons.

Hope this helps

Ian

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Most ralliers use fishing poles, you can get a 5m one for less than a tenner at most fishing shops.

We pop ours on a metre length of iron bar banged into the ground and sometimes tied to the towhitch.

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
We went to the Dorset steam fair and as there are literally Hundreds of caravans there, they really help to find your 'van.

We found them for sale there (poles from 4m to 9m !!) you could buy a cover so you could attach up to 5 other kites/windsocks etc. I also found some little flashing lights that worked off button cells that you could attach to the top of your pole (ohh matron !! :) ) so you could even find your 'van in the dark !!

The poles cost about a tenner if I remember right. We have seen them at many kite shops since, espcially at rallies and craft fair type events.

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
My brother has one of these poles and on a recent trip to Cannock C&CC site the warden asked him to take it down. Something to do with not fitting in with the area. He laughed and the warden said "well just this once you can leave it up".

Apr 11, 2007
Visit site
Just dont buy the one that looks like a seagull, we went away to newquay a couple of weeks ago and the people in the van opposite had one, the real seagulls hated it, all swaming round the bloody thing making a right noise! I'm sure the people took it down when they were in and the put it up when they went out to annoy everyone else on the site!!

Other then that I like them, have one myself on a 6m fishing pole

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I guess it is called "Keeping up with the Jones" If you have one I want one mentality.

I would feel embraased having a pice of kit like that outside my caravan for no know reason as it seems to serve absolutely no purpose and if people can't find their way back to their own caravan they shouldn't be there in the first place.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
"if people can't find their way back to their own caravan they shouldn't be there in the first place". Ian

"Why not just hang the washing out" ? Rioja

LMAAAOOOO.

I must admit I've always wondered about the purpose of them. I did think it was something they only did on rallies but still didn't understand why. Now I'm a bit more enlightened I don't think I'll bother :O)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts