Winter Battery Charging

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In a recent copy of the caravan club magazine it was stated that a normal car charger was not suitable for leisure batteries and could damage or shorten the life of a batttery. The type of charger to be used should be one that is designed for deep cycle leisure batteries.

Even though I have a fitted charger in the caravan I like to know that my battery if fully charged before I set off. I have been charging my battery with a standard car battery charger for many years aswell as friends and family who do the same.

Can anyone advise on what I should be looking for, when buying a new charger or should I carry on charging with my current charger.

Has anyone come across this before

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Depends on what type of answer your looking for Martin. Go out and buy an all singing/dancing battery charger just so your battery will last an extra year, or keep going as you have done under the idea that if it's not broke, then don't fix it. A battery isn't technically intricate and they withstand a lot of abuse (a bit like us poor old husbands really) so I would say keep it topped up with your regular charger and if you really want to, test the electrolyte levels and specific gravity regularly.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Martin I also read that in a Caravan Manual and again in the magazine you mentioned. I bought a charger to charge my caravan battery but once I read that info I asked a friend who is a mechanic if he wanted the charger as it was no use to me. He said he had never heard of that so went to a Battery Dealers taking the charger with him and asked if that was ok for a leisure battery. They said theres no problem using it so since have carried on. I'm no techie so can only follow the advice of the dealer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts