Winter Storage

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
We've only had our caravan for a couple of months and as winter is fast approaching were wondering whether or not to disconnect the battery while caravan is being stored over the winter months ? . Also is there anything else we need to consider apart from draining the water from system ?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the battery is not required to power an alarm, remove it , take it home and keep it fully charged over the winter.
Drain all water from the various place in the van, water heater, toilet flush , internal tank if fitted.
Leave all taps open (for single lever taps leave in central position open) and remove the shower head
Remove any filter that may be fitted.
Clean and dry the fridge and leave the door and freezer flap open.
Give the toilet blade a squirt of silicone lubricant and leave the blade open.
Either take home (if room to store) the soft furnishings, or move the cushions away from the van walls to allow full circulation of air.
Make sure all windows and roof vents are shut and locked.
Remove ALL foodstuffs.
Make sure tyres are at their proper pressure, wheels chocked and handbrake OFF.

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Ther is one simple way do not pack away for the winter caravan all the year round as we do its great,you can just as much fun winter as summer and the sites are cheaper to.

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
I agree with Damian - Moderator in all but one respect. Tyre pressures. You will find on the tyres a maximum preassure. I would recommend that you pump your tyres up to that pressure as it will help to avoid flat spots as a result of the tyre standing in one place over winter. Also if you can cover the tyres with hessian or similar, (not polythene or plastic based material as you could get a chemical reaction between the tyre and plastic). This will minimise the effects of the suns UV degrading the rubber. If you can, consider a cover for the van. This will not only protect the insde from the sun but greatly reduce the black streaks down the sidewalls.
One last thing, open all blinds. If left closed all winter the springs will be under tension and will probably not retract properly next year.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
As far as the blinds are concerned, I always leave them closed when ever we are not actually using the van. I have done this for the last 10 yrs, and it has had no detrimental effect what so ever. I have a Swift Utopia 530.

Steve W

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
A pair or two of inexpensive axle stands.
Jack the caravan up and put it on the stands, Saves the suspension rubber and tyre problems.
Keeping our van on home ground we just leave an old wheel on for the insurers (our insurers approved the action) wheel lock and remove the wheels.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I have not done this before but my van is fitted with a Whale Smartflo UV0814 pump, and I have just discovered when looking for another problem you should drain this as well to make sure that there are no drops of water left in it. Not an easy thing to do. See my other post "Whale Smartflo UV0814 pump"

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
And.... it was not obvious to me but as well as pumping out the toilet flush, you should also remove the flush water drain plug, untill I read this on the forum a couple of years ago I didn't realise that there was one. After pumping dry, I get a good cupfull of water out when removing the bung.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Tony, if you have a caravan why not try to use it all year round, but from a practical point of view there will be times when it is not used and the temperature drops below freezing. Unlike your house, a caravan does not have a lot of thermal mass, and will quite quickly cool, so any water left in the systems is more likely to freeze than the water pipes in your house.

In my time I have seen many caravanner's caught out in the spring when they come to use the caravan for the first time after winter, only to find that frost has damaged the un-drained parts water system.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
l agree with those using it all year round, we bought the Lunar Clubman SE in May, cost best part of 19K spending that much we agreed to use it all year round why not it has full central heating, TV satilite, full kitchen, shower home from home really. This year we will be able to do the walking with the dogs when and where we like instead of the usual haunts around home, mind you being part retired does help and when the wife finishes in January will really get the benifit of the van then. So l am afraid the caravan cover is relegated to the loft this year. The only time we won't will be Christmas, always felt Christmas should be spent at home with the family.
NigelH

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Please, make sure that you hitch up to the car before jacking the van. I had a van slip once when not hitched and was very lucky to get away with it. You will then have two very firm contacts with the ground.
Take care
Derek

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts