wiring 13 pin socket using Smartcom Relay

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I am fitting a 13 pin socket to my vehicle and would like to use the Smartcom Relay fridge output to drive the ignition feed required for the 13 pin socket as I don't want to break into the canbus wiring of my vehicle to try and find an ignition feed. As this Smartcom fridge output only switches on at 13.7 volts from the alternator I think this would be ideal. Is this an acceptable solution. Thanks

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Just be well aware that most modern cars use "smart" alternators which help reduce emissions by reducing the voltage down to 12.7V and only going up to 14.4V when absolutely necessary - this causes the Smartcom to "chatter" because the cut-in voltage can't be adjusted low enough - and if it could it would leave the circuits energised with engine switched off.

What happens is that the alternator goes to 14.4V when you take your foot off the accelerator to give the battery a bit of a charge but then drops to 12.7V as soon as you demand any power - the caravan fridge will cause this cycle more often but the fridge is still in operation intermittently - not good!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts