worried about calais

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Sailing to/from Calais this year, having seen all the horror stories of immigrants blocking the truckers etc, I am concerned that it may not be safe to travel that route.
Is it just the trucks that have the trouble? Has anybody returned recently and witnessed anything?
I have visions of them stopping the traffic and breaking into our caravan.
What are peoples thought?

Sailed this route early April and it was fine, but it seems to be getting worse

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I generally use Dunkirk, but last year had to use Calais, and will not do so again.Whilst we were not approached, the gangs running between the vehicles were very unnerving, and we did feel uncomfortable. Also, we found the P&O ship a bit tatty and tired compared to DFDS Dunkirk.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi , we went through last year , there and back , seen a few loitering about on way back , but were behind a concrete barricade and high fencing , police patrolling the area to , not once did I see any scurrying between vehicles or on the roads . Doing it again soon , Dover to calais .

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi, we have just come back from Calais and yes there are the camps away from the port but we did not see any vehicles being stopped, they are in the process of building high fences between the motorway and the camps. We are going again in September and will have no worries about using Calais.

Sep 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi,
Last September whilst waiting for our ferry home from Dieppe (security area between passport office and ship) 2 young men jumped over the fence which contains the gravel stores (right hand side) They were looking directly at me, so I got out of my car walked back over to the passport/security gate and made them aware of the incident. They thanked me, although they did'nt seemed too concerned . A couple of minutes later a security guard turned up in a van with a big dog and the men climbed back over the fence. The gravel yard was in full operational service with large machines and dumper trucks working with the young men just running between them! I found this more of a concern expecting any minute for one of them to be run over. There didn't appear to be any attempt at rounding them up, so I would imagine that this is all very common.
Yes it was rather unnerving at the time, but more in disbelief considering that it was in a restricted area, but I would imagine that it is a most common occurance. We used the tunnel last month, without any issues, although there were lots of dogs and security, walking up and down the tracks.

Eitherway you are soon out on the main roads and speedly moving away from the area.

Regards Paul.

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Thanks all, decided to cancel calais return, now sailing from Dieppe which works out roughly the same price once fuel/tolls taken out from where we are staying in Normandy. I guess I should stop fretting but I really dident want to expose my little kids to anything like I have seen in the news

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
We went over on 13th May and called at Auchan Cocquelles for juice. The petrol station is across a field from junc42 of the A18 which is the tunnel entance. The police had stopped all traffic and there was perhaps 50 would-be immigrants walking about the slip road and flyover. We didn't see any before or after that point.

We came back last Tuesday and saw none on foot. On the dual carr into and out of the port the police have now close and fended off (with Armco) the right lane inbound where it passes the shanty town. Lorries continue along the other lane of the same road but cars go contraflow on the other side. Very heavy police (CRS) presence. Again we saw no-one.

Don't worry about it. If you need to stop over use somewhere like the Manoir near Boulogne and travel at ferry time.

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
Hallo Woodentop.Have the newish Dutch owners at lLe Manoir got the hard standing sorted a la Gaby and Mimi the previous owners.It was always very convenient when wet. We needed a tug off the grass on our last visit., the front wheel drive Mondeo was ploughing but not making any progress on the wet stuff.The Boss Mans 4x4 did the trick but i dont want a repeat performance next time , it makes one unpopular !" Cheers Jim

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
We came back through Calais and I have never seen so many potential illegal immigrants trying to get on the wagons en route to the UK. We have travelled the route on two occasions for each of the past 5 years, but this year it was so blatant, the police were heavily outnumbered. Fortunately we had no problem, and it does appear that they are creating a large heavily fenced area for the wagon to drive straight in to, but this is wide open at the present time.
If you keep your speed up until you are in the Port area you should be OK, if you have to stop keep you eye on you mirrors.

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
We are travelling over via tunnel in August. We traveled over 2 years ago and had no signs of trouble. As things intensify in Calais this year we will be traveling back on the tunnel but will refuel at the supermarket at Boulogne then traveling straight into the tunnel terminal. We will not leave the caravan unattended at any point and it will be locked at all times as will all side lockers. Should we have any concerns the car alarm has a panic button. I definitely think that the tunnel terminal is much safer than the ferry port. I also think its about time the french government take responsibility and stop blaming Britain and act to stop the situation getting worse after all they have gained entry to France first

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
SwingLowJim said:
Hallo Woodentop.Have the newish Dutch owners at lLe Manoir got the hard standing sorted a la Gaby and Mimi the previous owners.It was always very convenient when wet. We needed a tug off the grass on our last visit., the front wheel drive Mondeo was ploughing but not making any progress on the wet stuff.The Boss Mans 4x4 did the trick but i dont want a repeat performance next time , it makes one unpopular !" Cheers Jim

Isabelle and David(?) that now own Le Manoir (and were responsible for reopening it) are French. The hard standing areas are still there but there was a horsebox on each last week and the nearest mains to the hedge side position is where the tap used to be along the field.

The grass has been well cut and we had no difficulty getting onto or off the 'English' field last week - the one to the right of the manor house. The 'Dutch' field (both from Gaby's days) - straight ahead - is still a bit boggy if wet - I had some difficulty a couple of years ago.

Nice thing: they have had the manor repointed in the last 9 months since we were last there and it now looks good and solid.

12€/n for two inc 10A electricity is good value IME.

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi, we came through Calais on Thursday 25th June. Came up the A16 past the Tunnel junction which was a nightmare. The inside lanes from all directions were being used to stack the lorries and it was crawling with immigrants. There were hardly any police there and the drivers were trying to protect their lorries themselves. We sailed through up to the Ferry Port which was free from any such hold ups with no immigrant activity. We actually got through quicker than normal and got put on an earlier boat than the one booked. Just glad we weren't travelling through the tunnel.

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Well since I started this thread a few days before the strikes things seem to have gotten out of hand, I lost my bottle and cancelled the lot, lost about £300 in site deposits dfds ferries etc, Cornwall this year for me, will be a novelty 2 weeks in England , not done that in a while , the French can stick it until they get their house in order!

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
That's a drastic, not to mention expensive, decision to make just because of the remote possibility your trip MAY be affected by would be illegal immigrants. I'll be going to France via the tunnel in a few weeks time and have no such fears. What's the worse that's likely to happen? They break into your caravan and hide, hoping you'll inadvertently import them? I'll search my 'van at my last stop before the tunnel, ensure it's locked and providing I don't get stopped before the tunnel terminal that's it. If I do have to stop for any reason I'll conduct another search when I reach the terminal. I'll be bu****ed if I'm going to let a few law breakers ruin my annual jaunt. B) B)

Have fun in Cornwall. :dry:

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
That makes two of us,
I will not be terrorised into living my life in a different way, just to placate a few nutters and
potential illegals.
Where I live, these kind of threats of physical abuse and racial tension are everyday problems
and will remain so until this Lilly livered government get a grip on the immigrant situation.
I am sure the 12 locals that went to join IS, were not the only rotten apples in the barrel.
Feelings in the town are running high.

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
It is a massive shame you feel like that and are prepared to lose that amount of money, we will be boarding the tunnel in September ready for our 11 nights on the continent, we will then stop on our return for fuel before Calias check the van inside and out, then run straight into the tunnel terminal after having a fantastic time!!

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
I hope all that are travelling to France this year have a trouble free time, the strikes are what has done it for me, I guess it will be resolved soon but I am too impatient, we will still have a great time in Cornwall, my 3 girls are at an age where all they want is sand and water, the wife is gutted as no cheap wine.
Never mind, next year will try and get decent ferry times from Portsmouth , we needed a cabin with the kids and they were sold out.
Best of luck out there folks- stay safe !

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
FerryLink cancelled my booking for Aug 2nd yesterday. Text to warn and email with details. All ferries run by them cancelled. Seems demonstrators won.
Now on DFDS to Dunkirk. Different times of course, but at least got same day.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Pedr01800 said:
FerryLink cancelled my booking for Aug 2nd yesterday. Text to warn and email with details. All ferries run by them cancelled. Seems demonstrators won.
Now on DFDS to Dunkirk. Different times of course, but at least got same day.

No, the demonstrators did NOT win. MyFerryLink was owned by Eurotunnel and the EU through some ruling or other said they must sell it. They announced in late June that all sailings would cease on 2nd July. The first tyre burnings were on 30th June then again on 2nd July but it made no difference.

AFAIK the boats - at least Renoir and Monet - have been bought by DFDS.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts